The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 83 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM   #1231
Inner Circle

Absolutely wait the couple of months and pay cash.

First of all, because you won't be in debt with payments due.

Second, you can use whatever spare cash you can scarpe up after the purchase for accessories, lights-audio-COMPUTERS AND PROGRAMS FOR EDITING, and on and on.

Thirdly, and hold on for this one, the urge to buy the camera and the enthusiasm to go forward with your project may wane and you will save yourself a lot of money and grief!

Mike
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:35 PM   #1232
Wrangler

I'm pretty much with Mike on this. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If you can't get the credit card companies to raise your limit then they're sending you the message that it isn't a good investment. Can you get a part time job and put the earnings into an account to be used for the purchase?

I know you don't want to hear this, but you really need to learn the discipline to live within your means. Waiting a few months while you earn some more money isn't going to make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, and the prices of the cameras you mentioned will go down in the meantime.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1233
Regular Crew

You didn't say if you have any cash saved up, but if you do, you might consider buying used. That would have the effect of getting you to your destination sooner.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM   #1234
Inner Circle

Mike and Bob are offering excellent advice, but in the event you *do* decide to go on credit, a merchant's own financing plan should absolutely be your last choice at the bottom of your list of options, even below credit cards. Merchants don't actually carry their own credit for the most part, they sell the contracts to finance companies. Interest will be high and they usually aren't very flexible or understanding. Far better to talk to your bank about a personal loan. Even better, if you can join a credit union and arrange financing through them, do it! Their loan terms are generally more flexible, interest rates much lower than other sources of financing, and they're generally more understanding and more likely to be on your side and disposed to work with you should you have unexpected downturns before the loan is paid off.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1235
Trustee

Gear and financing you can't/shouldn't afford

You are getting a lot of "spot on" good advice here and I have to strongly second all of it.

Financing, when you really shouldn't, can be a real killer, I've been there in the still photo studio business. The financing I carried kept me from ever seeing any profit from which I could support my family in that venture.

If you have no video equipment at present and just have to get into it, consider lowering your expectations for now and look into "open box specials" at Best Buy and Circuit City in your area. Moving from Sony Digital8 to MiniDV, I found a Sony HC21 for $219 (Not only open box, they couldn't even find the box although all accessories were there in a manila envelope).

Extremely limited, yes. But I did two training video DVD's (Defensive Carry and Defensive Shooting Skills) with it and started upgrading a previous production to widescreen with it. You can actually learn a lot even staying within the limitations of such gear; all the time saving towards what you really want to work with.

I still use that "half ham sandwich size" Sony running as a second camera in a two camera setup where I need "cutaways" and picture in picture inserts, and it will replace the Digital8 in "high risk" roles when that one finally craters.

Limitations: No external mic so you learn to work close to your talent to get useable audio from the built in mic. No real manual control although many controllable functions may be there in on screen menus; exposure adj, white balance, some focus control, etc. No headphone jack so you have to run short tests and playback to get some idea of what your audio is doing.

So if you have to, consider getting something you can easily afford, learn it's limitations and then use it within those limits as skillfully as you can learn to do. A few inexpensive reflector floods with 100W bulbs on inexpensive stands can teach you some about lighting, and one of the $99 video editing packages can take you some distance once you learn it.

The magic word is LEARN, but don't go into debt to do it right now.

Hope this helps by supplementing the excellent advice others here have given you.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1236
Regular Crew

Everyone Thank You for all of your advice. I will certianly look into getting something cheaper. I saw the Panasonic 3chip cameras for a real cheap price and they are about the same size as a minidv cam. I thought about it and decided that i am not going to do the financing. Once again thank you for all of your support and i will post up my video when im done with it over hear.

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1237
Tourist

What about editing the SR1 on final cut pro 5? Do you see any difficulty with that?
Chad Koeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #1238
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corkovic
Well the more professional the better, I'm not going to be using this camera for profit purposes, just my own video for fun. But I still want a camera that can record to a HD, and have HDV.
The HC3 does not record to a HD, it records to tape.

For manual control - the HC1 - although it may be hard to track down now it is out of production.

For great sleek design - the gorgeous HC3 - also the cheapest priced of the consumer HDV cameras.

For sheer image quality - the Canon HV10 - although it lacks audio inputs, so you can only use the bulit in mic or a separate external audio capture device.

For convenience - the Sony UX-1 or SR-1, DVD and HD recorders - no capturing to do, just plug in and drag off your chosen clips, although the image quality of both these cameras is not up there with the other cameras - and the AVCHD editing issues can be a problem.

All of these will plug into your Mac and play happily with iMovie/FCP.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1239
Tourist

...or you could rent one

You could always rent one, if your heart is set on a more high-end Dv camera. Many dealers have weekend rentals.

Saving up is also good... :-)
Anthony Spadaccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1240
New Boot

I need help purchasing a camera.

Hello. I need some help deciding what camera to get. I have about 1200 dollars to spend. Should I get a JVC GR-HD1 or something else?
Charles A. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #1241
Inner Circle

I think you need to be much more specific about what your needs and requirements are. If you had asked the same question about a car we could recommend a Landrover, an E type Jaguar or a Lincoln Continental.

So - are you after new or used, good low light performance, compactness, CMOS or 3 CCD, XLR capability,16:9, HiDef?

Are you planning a vacation or planning on shooting a wedding?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1242
New Boot

I need help purchasing a camera

Well, I'm looking to start shooting some short films. I have a Panasonic PV-GS120, although it may be the model below the 120. I've had it for about 2 years and was looking to upgrade. I'm only 19 so I don't have much money. I can scrape up about 1200 dollars. I was going to get the HD1 used. I don't care much about low light performance because I want to start lighting my shorts. I don't care about size. I know the HD1 is only 1 ccd and I wasn't sure if the picture quality was better or worse than a used dv camcorder such as the GL1 or XL1. I have a RODE video mic with a 1/8 jack so I'm not looking for XLR capability yet. I do want to shoot 16:9 and as for hidef I'm just looking for what will look better for filming shorts. I may also get a Letus35 in a few months if that affects any suggestions.
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1243
Inner Circle

That's better. The 16:9 requirement is the clincher and really rules out a lot of pretty good 4:3 three chip cameras such as the GL, XL, VX2k, DVX and so on. They will all do 16:9 of sorts, but they were designed as 4:3 and that's what they do best.

I'd suggest a good one to aim at might well be the Sony PDX10. Not sure if you're talking Singapore, NZ, Canadian or US dollars, but the PDX10 does 16:9 very well indeed. It's a three chip, pretty compact, XLR in, big side-screen camcorder that is SD, top loading and not much good in poor light.

Panasonic also do a modern line in 16:9 cameras that are amazingly good value. Of course they're up against the Sony HC1, which - right out of the box, does HDV, 16:9 and a lot more besides.

I'd hold fire on the Letus and stretch yourself into a really good camera to start with. At 19 there's a whole lot to learn, and you don't want to under-buy and curse every time you fire the machine up.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1244
New Boot

hd1

Does the HD1 Not shoot 16:9? I am speaking in USD. I don't have enough money for any other hidef camcorders. How does the HD1 preform compared to the PDX10?
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #1245
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
That's better. The 16:9 requirement is the clincher and really rules out a lot of pretty good 4:3 three chip cameras such as the GL, XL, VX2k, DVX and so on. They will all do 16:9 of sorts, but they were designed as 4:3 and that's what they do best.

tom.
Tom....how much do you really lose using a DVX in 16:9?

I'm in a similar position as Charles...(although I'm 50, not 19 hahaha)
I also have a Pany Consumer 3CCD and want to add a second, better camera.
I also have a limited budget...max of $1500....
A used DVX100 is top of my list right now, but everything I do is 16:9.

Bob T.
Bob Thieda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion