Help calibrating camera with DSC chart - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 7th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Help calibrating camera with DSC chart

I learn more and more every time I do this kind of stuff. I don't have a way to calibrate my cameras before hand, but what I've found is that using a DSC Labs one shot chart allows me to match my Sony, Canon, Nikon, and GoPros in Adobe Speedgrade CC in post. I can get them looking nearly identical (close enough for my wedding video needs anyway).

I have been using the primary layer to neutralize white balance and put gray at around 40 on the RGB parade.

Then I do an individual secondary layer for each of the 6 color swatches (RGB,CMY) where I use the magenta/cyan slider or color temp slider to move the vectors towards the right boxes. I'll also adjust saturation as necessary.

I have no idea if that's the correct way or not, but it seems to be working for my cameras. lol

For some insane reason I cannot explain, I have not taken the time to do this same approach to the 4 skin swatches but I'm guessing if I did, they'd match up even better.
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #17
Director of Photography

I don't know about the ziplocks but I like that idea. I'd say sun and heat are the worst. Pigments do change chemically over time, and the energy that strikes them the faster they'll change.

Might be a good thing to ask Adam about at the DSC booth at NAB... after you come visit me at Sound Devices. :)
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #18
Director of Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
For some insane reason I cannot explain, I have not taken the time to do this same approach to the 4 skin swatches but I'm guessing if I did, they'd match up even better.
What's funny is that most colorists do this the opposite way. In fact, most of them will say they grade the footage first and then go back and make the chart match. (They don't trust charts because a lot of DPs don't know how to shoot them. That amazes me!)

As for the rest of your technique... if it works, keep doing it. Orange/blue and magenta/green are the most basic controls in color correction. You can do a lot with them.

In Resolve I'll use the hue vs hue curve to tweak errant colors as needed.
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Adams View Post
Might be a good thing to ask Adam about at the DSC booth at NAB... after you come visit me at Sound Devices. :)
Yes, looks like Monday is going to be a *very* full day! :-)

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion