How should I handle this co-director job? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 22nd, 2019, 03:39 AM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

How should I handle this co-director job?

I was asked to be co-director on a feature film being produced by another producer/director. However, I feel that he is making a lot of the decisions, and that I am not a co-director, but more like a script supervisor , in terms of job title.

My friend says maybe this will turn out well, as I am getting a co-director credit, without really having to make a lot of directorial decisions, but maybe that is a bad thing to though, and I should try to get in on more of the director decision making process. What do you think?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 04:33 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: How should I handle this co-director job?

This is an excellent opportunity to learn. Take it and be as helpful as you can.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The important thing Ryan is to analyse the decisions the other person makes, decide if they were good decisions and consider if you would have done it this way or differently. You can learn from both good and bad ones.

We already told you that co-directing is fraught with problems, and you've spotted the one we pointed out before - he's making decisions without asking or consulting you. Ask yourself why you didn't make these decisions first?

The co-Directing credit is nice when it sounds like you're really assistant to, not co-director. Many assistants learn lots and then get directing jobs.

You really should have considered this when you agreed the split, the responsibilities and the roles.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 05:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There are no rules on what a co-director does. Some co-directors are experienced editors, like David Lean or DPs such as Nicolas Roeg. who bring their skills to the other, less experienced in film, director. Or, it's part of a long standing creative relationship, which may only involve one of them directing the actors, while the other is involved in other aspects that cross over. .

In this case, it sounds more like trainee/director understudy/assisting (not assistant director, that's different), how well that works depends on how good the other director is and if you're going to learn new skills. You have to think how this is going to work in the long term and what is your relationship with the other director.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; December 22nd, 2019 at 06:26 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Whenever I hear these situations I can only think of the comic possibilities. I can't imagine anyone enjoying someone hovering and looking over their shoulder.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; December 22nd, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 12:59 PM   #6
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I don't have to hover over his shoulder but I feel like I am being left out of a lot of the creative input so far, and I am not sure what my role is expected of me therefore.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 01:06 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Is this the one youre funding as well? If not then it may one of those perfect learning opportunities we’ve been talking about (provided the production is “legit” and not another amateur backyard jamboree).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 01:08 PM   #8
also known as Ryan Wray

No, the other co-director who is also the producer is funding it himself. However, one actor I worked with before in other projects, said I should put my funding it into it as well, since I have been wanting to fund a feature of my own anyway, and it's a good script to fund. I will see if he cannot fund it himself first maybe though, before making any type of decision to put my money in.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 02:14 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If you're funding a film you should ensure that you have a robust legal contract drawn up by an entertainment lawyer.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Trustee

As a co-director will the two of you have regular meetings to discuss the work ahead, the schedule, budget, goals, potential problems and solutions? It is important to be on the same sheet of music. A day-to-day work plan about how the two of you will interact and stay congenial will be important to avoid becoming related to go-fer status.

The reason I mention this is I’m reading a book about the early years in Northwest America and circa 1770, when two Spaniards were given responsibility for the California area: Lieutenant Pedro Fages and Father Junipero Serra. Due to their competition and in-fighting for who had the ultimate authority there was a domino effect where Spain essentially lost out on a potential claim of the coast from Monterey up to where the Russians were in Sitka.

Being a director is a huge workload and responsibility with a lot of moving parts so there is no shortage of things to do. What about some sort of job description, like any agreed upon areas of responsibility or who does what? Who will track the schedule and costs (Planned vs actual)? If there is overlap responsibility the Government Salute (crossed arms with index finger pointed in opposite directions) needs to be avoided at all cost. Keep a good notebook with a binding, not a tear-out pages type.

Besides doing the work, one personal goal would be to to have a good rapport with all the others involved (or as many as possible) for good references later on.

Edit: Just read Brian's comment and really agree. Plus, your time is worth something. As a co-director, a copyright lawsuit can come after your money. How are you two taking care of all the legal aspects? If there isn't anyone I'd jump on that part.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 02:47 PM   #11
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. Well did have an agreement before that he would direct the actors, since he has more of a background in theater, and that I would the more technical decisions, such as the shots, storyboards, blocking, choice of focal lengths, etc. But now I feel he is doing all of that, and already has the storyboards done and decided himself, so not sure what I am doing anymore.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 02:55 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

I feel like many folks advised you here that that might happen...
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 03:00 PM   #13
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep I know it might happen, but I figure if I am offered a job on a feature film I should take it, even if it has problems later, rather to have just said no, just to avoid any problems along the way that might come with it.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm surpised you didn't think back to this forum when it was offered? We've told you this would happen many times before. I don't see why you're surpsied? Clearly the guy is able to do the things you thought you would do, so he's doing the normal director's role - you've just become his assistant as he clearly doesn't need your input. Or you could have a private chat and tell him you are not happy with his expansion into your agreed area. Mind you, if you're sharing the credit 50-50, and he's doing a good job, let him carry on and take the credit! Co-Director of a success is always more useful than a flop.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 04:34 PM   #15
also known as Ryan Wray

I'm not surprised, since it was said on here, before, but I only mentioned it on here after I took the job, so it wasn't offered me to after I asked about it on here. But now that it has happened, I am just wondering what to do more specifically. I can take the credit if it's going on well on his decision, making, but if it is not later on, say when shooting starts, should I have any plans in place?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion