Bring Your Camera! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 16th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Trustee

Bring Your Camera!

I was chatting with a neighbor yesterday when I noticed a column of smoke billowing up the valley originating about 250 yards/meters from my house. I thought for a second it might be a barbecue fanatic burning off the build-up in his/her grill, but the smoke was too consistent for anything small. I called 911 and they already knew about the fire. I called no more than 45 seconds after the smoke must have started rising. Being concerned about an average emergency response time of 9 minutes, I decided to see if I could help. I put down the mail and made sure I had my kevlar heat/cut resistant gloves in the truck and drove over there quickly. Our neighborhood is hilly and convoluted, so walking would be time-consuming. Just as I arrived, I heard the sirens so I knew it best to let the professionals provide assistance. Neighbors directed the trucks up the quickest streets to the house. Two pumper-trucks and a big ladder truck responded within about 5 minutes. I was impressed as the station is about 2.5 miles away and it takes me 5 minutes to just drive to that area, nevermind get dressed in heavy gear. The fire was out before flames erupted from the house. Only a single room was effected, unfortunately the couple's home business is run from their server and it was apparently melted. I hope they have surviving backups. The seeming source of the fire is from another computer. The good news is that nobody was seriously hurt, although the husband was taken in for monitoring as he got some smoke and is of an age where that kind of stress could cause cardiac problems.

A fair bit of excitement for a Wednesday afternoon, wouldn't you agree? It would make some great footage...if I had remembered my camera!!!!!!! Not until the fire department was setting up did I remember to go get my VX2000. I got some decent footage of the smoke and fire workers doing their job, but I could have got them arriving and rushing into the fire if I had brought my camera the first time!!!!!!

I would have had just enough time to set up for the first truck to drive around the corner.

Don't forget to Bring Your Camera!
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Major Player

...and....

The local tee vee station here wants you to call them first if you see a breaking disastrous news story because they would love to have their truck there first. They actually promote the idea! Seconds are everything when a fire strikes.

Thanks Marcus for calling 911 and not the news agency.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion