Matte box... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Matte box...

First of all, I don't really know if this is the right place to submit my thread, so I apologize and kindly ask the moderators to move it where it belongs if I put it in the wrong place.

Ok, now I'm gonna ask you a question:

Do you think that there would be any interest in a fully featured matte box (inc. rotating filter stages, french flag, side flags, rods, etc...) that sells for much, much less than the competitors (Chrosziel, Century Optics, etc...)? Let's say $600-1000 for a MB that usually sells for around $1500-2000?

I'm seriously thinking about starting to build them - since I'm in Slovenia the production price should be smaller than in other countries... and it's not Made in China...

Let's say it would be available - would you buy one?

Thanks in advance for your replies... comments and advices are always welcome!

Seb
Seb Pelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Major Player

ofcourse I would buy one if it was at a lower price, its a no brainer! However, I'd be weary of build quality at a lower price and i'd have to see what others think of it first before taking the plunge...My opinion..
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

But for what cameras?

Would they be produced for all sorts of cameras (film and video) or marketed just for DV handcams. Would they be rugged? How would support / repair be handled?

I would love to see a cheaper matte box, I'm trying to factor in one for a DVX. I shelled out $3370 for a Petroff on my SP Cam, and finding that I might end up selling the Petroff, an increase in DVX shoots... hmm... If it were in the sub-$1000 category, YES! But many times, I have seen a friend try to go into buisness with spirit and a good idea, only to come out, stressed, broke, and burn out.

But if you choose to, I'd love to be a customer.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

There already is a good matte box for the dvx which runs for under $300 with french flags, check out dvxuser.com for more info, I'm actually gonna order mine soon.
James C Sadeghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for your replies!

So, the first model will be (yes, will be) for cameras like the XL, DVX, HDX, HD100, FX1 & Z1, etc... then we'll start thinking about more models. First of all I want to fill the prosumer "gap".

James: I know there are MBs for under $300, but mine is gonna be Chrosziel-style.

Anyway, I found a factory that will build them. I have enginners that are currently developing them, and I guess the first model will be ready in about 6 months... well, it may sound a lot of time, but I want a really good product that looks and feels anything but cheap!

I'll keep you guys informed!

Seb
Seb Pelan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion