New Pana NV-GS1000K - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 15th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #106
New Boot

Mike, that's good stuff. Did you do this, or what was the source...is this posted somewhere (other than here, of course, now)?
John Schaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #107
Major Player

Masaki and Mike, you are both gentlemen and scholars. Thank you. Now, Masaki, it should be possible for people to start a few new threads, eh? Maybe Eng Yew Lee can begin with some of those "grabs" people have been clamoring for. You would be doing all of us a service. Here's hoping.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #108
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Marius Burz : Hi Eng...

From where did you get your GS70 manual? Is it in electronic format?

I am also looking for a manual(even in Japanese) for the GS100 but I need it in electronic format, so I will be able to use some online dictionary. Any idea where I could find one?

The cam is on the way to me, so in 2 days I'll play with the babe(I hope...). -->>>
You may find the PDF version of GS100K manual here:

http://panasonic.jp/support/video/manual/manual.html

But it is in Japanese version.
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #109
Major Player

Great job on the pdf english manual

Thanks!

Now if someone could post 16 x 9 30 fps footage it would be tremendous.

M
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #110
New Boot

Hey, everyone. You ever start responding to a post to describe something and from there you, perhaps, start asking yourself questions to better describe something or suggest something, then your mind wanders, you start something else and you totally forget about finishing the response? Well, that's what I did - started to respond to John's post 2 hours ago and went off on a tangent and totally forgot about the reply.

To sum up the past couple of hours, I started by replying that the source of my PDF was Masaki's translated BMP's and WMF's that I simply put in Word DOC to PDF. I included the DOC so people could edit it to whatever page size they wanted and add whatever content they need to make a nice small cheat sheet.

Then I started thinking about what we could add. I remembered the Japanese manual in PDF mentioned earlier and wished it could be directly input into one of those web translators which unfortunately seem to only accept HTML or plain text.

Then I figured someone must have a PDF to HTML converter and I found some. A couple didn't run well and others didnt' support Japanese until I found an Adobe Acrobat plugin called Magellan which works beautifully except that its $200 for a full version and the demo only converts odd numbered pages. Even numbered pages are replaced with a demo warning instead of an interpreted page. So, I cooked up a blank page in Word, printed it to PDF and inserted it into the manual, displacing all pages by one so evens become odd. Magellan converted these pages as before.

The problem is you'd have to have two browsers open, one open to the odd page version and one open to the even page version, and switch between them everytime you moved from one page to another. I found a file renamer called Flash Renamer that makes file renaming easier so I could take all the html pages and associated graphics which have the even page content (but odd numbered html/graphics files) and rename them down 1 step to the correct even pages and replace files in the first odd-only HTML manual. This took several steps to get the automatic file renamer to end up in the desired result.

The last problem is editing the actual HTML code so the image tags in each even numbered HTML page calls for the graphics files with the correct pages. For example, page 96, which was originally page 97 under the pagination of my demo work around, is looking for graphics labeled for page 97, but all of those graphics files have been renamed to 96. I couldn't simply leave the HTML code and image files at the odd numbers because the image files of the real odd numbered pages would be overwritten.

The only way I can figure out to get the image file references corrected in the HTML is basically by brute force - I'm using an HTML editor (Homesite) and opening every even paged HTML file and changing the numbers for each image tag. Thankfully, there's the Find and Replace tool to quicken things up a bit, but it's still going to take a while. Each page takes about 5-7 seconds of time (thank goodness for keyboard shortcuts) and about 3% off of my tedium tolerance.

Right now, I'm uploading a preview for everyone that doesn't have everything working correctly, yet, so you can see what I should have done by tonight. I'll check back in a little while before I'm done to see if you all think it's worth completing. Unfortunately, there's 212 pages of worth of HTML and graphics so it's going to take a while to upload even the incomplete version. The link should be http://404.realmud.com/mike/misc/nv_gs100k.htm.

I tested what's uploaded so far through babelfish.altavista.com and main frame with the actual pages isn't being translated. When I try inserting the URL for the cover page without the frames (http://404.realmud.com/mike/misc/nv_...v_gs100k_1.htm), it works (well, it works as well as web translators can translate). Right now, I can't think of a work around for this. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike de la Fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #111
Outer Circle

http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/...%2C%27RMSDC%27

direct GS100 link for manual
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #112
New Boot

Well, it went faster than I thought. I guess I got fast at the repetition. I'm sure there are errors, especially with all the renaming and text replacing I did, but it looks OK overall. I guess the next step is to start feeding it into the translators and interpreting what comes out.

The Japanese HTML manual can be found here:

http://404.realmud.com/mike/misc/nv_gs100k.htm

and a zip of the entire thing (4 MB) here:

http://404.realmud.com/mike/misc/nv_gs100k-html.zip
Mike de la Fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #113
Regular Crew

Victory!
The cam is here!
I had no chance(yet) to transfer video to my PC but from what I see on the LCD I love this cam. As soon as I'll have some footage on my system I'll upload some segments somewhere. Until now I used only the auto mode(I still have to learn how to operate it properly).
I am looking for UV/skylight/pol filters(43mm) for this babe. Could someone recommend me some brands? I have seen good deals for Hoya on ebay, but Hoya doesn't tell me much(I am a beginner, BTW)

It took a bit more than 2 days since the cam was shipped til I had it in my hands. That is what I call fast(from japan to germany using DHL).

What to say abour pricejapan.com? Only good things. Very good contact and very fast replies to my emails. And they were patient and friendly all the time although I had a lot of questions for them. They shipped it very fast(several hours after my wire arrived there. I used wire becuse I don't trust paypal). I chose the double packing(20 euro extra) and what I can tell you is that the packing was extremely good with a lot of air bubbles. The content of the package, all brand new, not a single scratch. So this is really new.
So all I can say is: I am a happy customer :)
(I was not paid by them to say this. When I was looking on the net to find some opinions about them I found almost nothing, so that's why I expressed my opinion here)
Marius Burz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #114
Regular Crew

Marius,

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MX5000...K_Menus_01.zip

Hope it helps. Let me know of any corrections. Masaki-san has already given me some guidance and I will be revving it tonight.
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #115
Regular Crew

Thanks Eng...
Already checked that and it was of great help to get me started. I will start a new thread regarding the operation of GS100K.

By the way the code for silver edition is GS100K-S and for black it is GS100K-B.
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:51 AM   #116
Outer Circle

I went to that link and only get this message:

The requested file or directory is not found on the server.

Do you have the correct link?
Old July 18th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #117
Regular Crew

Frank, the correct link can be found under my new thread regarding the operation of the GS100K.
This thread being so long got hard to read.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MX5000...K_Menus_02.zip
Old July 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #118
Outer Circle

Thanks. This one seems to work.
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #119
Regular Crew

Am I correct that the GS100 can do Progressive (30p) and 16:9 Widescreen at the same time!?
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 03:27 AM   #120
New Boot

GS100 through Pricejapan.com

I hear good things about pricejapan.com

I just wonder if anyone ordering from them had problems with customs? Or did DHL delivered at your door step without any hassle or headache? Anyone had to pay any import tax/duty?

Just wondering. I'm in Thailand and DHL tells me that there would be 3% import duty (which if it's true is not too bad). Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can trust their information.

Thanks for any comment.
Joao Oliveira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant