GH2 zoom lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Major Player

GH2 zoom lenses

Will any for thirds lens fit and be reasonably suitable for my GH2, like the olympus M ZUIKO 9-18mm and the olympus ZUIKO ED 70-300mm 1.4-5.6 lenses.thanks
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You would need a converter for most if not all non-Panasonic lenses. I don't really know what I'm talking about, but that seems to be the case for using lenses on any DSLR or hybrid. What's worse, with the converters available presently, you will lose any autofocus ability, etc.

Third-party companies like Sigma make lenses for Canon or Nikon that are designed explicitly for Canon and Nilon, but for lower prices. They are often wonderful lenses.

As of now there are no third party lenses for the Panasonic GH2.

If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

There are converters for Canon lenses and the GH2, but I don't know anything about them. If I find a link posted for me yesterday I'll put it here for you.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Jeff,i read that the Olympus M ZUIKO 9-18mm four thirds lens works direct on the GH2 with camera controls,i would like a lens like the 70-300mm ZUIKO as well its a good price but i am not sure if it works as well as the 9-18mm and if its good enough for video with the GH2.
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Really, an Olympus lens works directly on the GH2? and the cameras features work also? I find it hard to believe, but I believe you. It sounds pretty cool.

I'll be honest with you, most of my reply above was based on assumptions. I've seen many questions that I want answers to unanswered, and I think it is because many of the video people with this camera have their hands full. This is a whole new world for many of us...in many cases it's the blind leading the blind.
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes apparently the GH2 is a micro four thirds mount here is a list of lenses that fit
Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses) there are only 2 long zooms and the olympus is expensive for me,there is so much more choice with canon fit cameras.
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Those Oly lenses are 4/3rd lenses, not micro 4/3rd lenses. You need the DMW-MA1 adapter.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Kin, Martyn, I meant to follow up....Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4-5.6 Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review Martyn, you were correct, of course. That lens does fit the Olympus. When I have time I'm going to look for more like it!

Thanks, Martyn!
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Martyn, thanks very much for the list. What a pathetic assortment. I see an adapter and Canon lenses in your future!
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Kin, Martyn, I meant to follow up....Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4-5.6 Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review Martyn, you were correct, of course. That lens does fit the Olympus.
Jeff that test confuses me it says its testing the micro four thirds 9-18mm but mentions an adaptor to use it but if its micro four thirds it should fit the GH2 unless they are refering to using it with other cameras.
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Here's the Panasonic's lens compatibility chart that should help you with the four-thirds to GH2 question.

If you're looking for auto-focus lenses your choices are currently limited compared to Canon, etc. However, if you're going to manually focus you really have no limits with adapters and there's a lot of nice lenses out there, some reasonably priced ones, too. The coming Birger Engineering Canon EOS to m43 adapter is supposed to allow full use of the Canon EOS lenses, at least on a AF100 and maybe the GH1/GH2's. Then, there's rumors of assorted other lens manufacturers joining the m43 group.

Personally, I like the Panasonic 14-140, 7-14 (on my list), 20/1.7, 100-300, supplemented with the faster Canon FD, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, et al, lenses.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Martyn, it works...check out reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ED-9-18mm-Panasonic-Interchangeable/product-reviews/B0035LBRM6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Might do the trick

Panasonic DMW-MA1 Mount Adapter to Mount Four Thirds DMW-MA1 B&H

Martyn, have you looked into this? Panasonic 4/3 lenses are said to retain their functionality with it. Read the reviews for more information. don't know if it would help you or not.

I'm REALLY undecided as to wait for a Canon adapter or go ahead and get the pancake lens. Sigma makes a 1.4 30mm for Canon that is SO gorgeous for the $$$. For the money it is awesome and puts the Panasonic pancake to shame. Upon thinking about it, I could always sell the pancake later....that's what I'll do!
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Sorry... I missed the "M" designation on the 9-18. The "M Zuiko" is Micro 4/3rd, and there's also a "Zuiko 9-18" which is 4/3rd only.

The "M Zuiko 9-18" is compatible with the GH2 without any adapters.

The "Zuiko 70-300" on the other hand, is only available in a 4/3rd mount, and will require the DMW-MA1 adapter to be used on the GH2. The DMW-MA1 should make the lens full compatible, including AF and aperture control.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Kin put it all together perfectly...it will work for you Martyn. People love the adapter according to the reviews.
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Yes Jeff i have seen that adaptor and if i new it would allow me to use my Tamron zoom lenses with my GH2 it would be great but if it does why is the birger M43 being awaited and untill i get a reply from them[birger] i dont know for sure that even that one works with all lenses on the GH2.Thanks Jeff
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series