Dust on sensor but only in movie mode - Gx80/85 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 16th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dust on sensor but only in movie mode - Gx80/85

Hey all,
I recently got a great deal on this cam, so picked it up. After a few days, I've noticed that there's a dust speck on the top of the sensor (tried different lenses and it's always the same place) - I've not had a chance to clean it or take it into a store yet but I have found something weird.

If I put the cam in the video mode, the dust is there from around f9 all the way down, but if I put it in manual, or any of the photo modes, I can't see the speck, even if I stop down to f22. Is there a reason for this? Why should the camera mode make the dust disappear? If it helps, I can post some examples when I get home.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dust on sensor but only in movie mode - Gx80/85

Hi

Could be video is being cropped differently from the sensor so it only shows sometimes, or other modes it is being processed automatically away?

Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That was also my guess that a different sensor crop hides the dust, where does the dustspot appear, near the edges of the frame?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sure, here's a shot from the manual video mode. I think it's quite far into the sensor and would be surprised if the other modes are cropping that much. I'm going to take it into the shop today to see if they'll clean it for me.

Also, Noa, I'm not sure if you saw my PM - I noticed you're also shooting with this camera and JVC LS300, do you have any tips to get them to match up nicely in post?
Attached Thumbnails
Dust on sensor but only in movie mode - Gx80/85-screen-shot-2017-05-17-07.32.35.jpg  
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Now you know why you got such a "great deal". There are a lot of people on ebay who sell equipment without disclosing things like this in the hopes you won't notice.

You can buy a senor cleaning swab kit for this type of thing. I've done it before on a larger camera. It's tricky but do able.

This is the pitfall of interchangeable lens cameras. Every time you swap lens especially in the field you risk this.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Now you know why you got such a "great deal". There are a lot of people on ebay who sell equipment without disclosing things like this in the hopes you won't notice.

You can buy a senor cleaning swab kit for this type of thing. I've done it before on a larger camera. It's tricky but do able.

This is the pitfall of interchangeable lens cameras. Every time you swap lens especially in the field you risk this.
Yeah, I got this in store in a sealed box, so its probably just user error - the great deal was a store discount with the two lenses cheaper than I could find the body only online haha.

I'm heading into town later today, so will ask if they can just have a go at getting it out for free since I only got it the other day, maybe they'll be in a nice mood. If not, I'll have to splurge on a sensor kit haha.
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi

I would think you would see this dust on the sensor if you removed the lens and looked in good light.

A lens blower should be enough to remove it with a few buffs of air, I wouldn't let a shop on it until you had tried that, as they don't always take the best care.

Sometimes however it can be a flaw on the sensor itself, or likely on the filter covering the sensor that can not be removed.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I always assume the worse. If its new then exchange it by all means no sense of trying to fix it if you don't have to. You'd only be putting yourself at risk
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys, I took it into the store and they had a look, turns out it was a scratch on the sensor. Unfortunately, since the store I bought it from was quite far away, they suggested I send it in for repair on the warrantee. It's off now and I'll get it back in a week or so. What a bummer.
Old May 17th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm the same way I hate having to send back a new purchase but you did the right thing. I was surprised to hear it was a scratch since it wasn't a straight line.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series