GH5 White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 18th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #1
Trustee

GH5 White Balance

Okay this one surprised me as I'd not seen or read anything about it and only just discovered it yesterday.

On the GH5, I can now change white balance whilst still recording, yet on my GH4/G80 and GX85, I had to stop recording to do this. It was a total fluke I chanced upon this; I needed to adjust white balance in the middle of the Ceremony and just hit the button without thinking I needed to stop recording. Was half way through changing settings before I realised the significance of what I was doing.

A small but useful feature.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH5 White Balance

That's good news, only my jvc ls300 is able to do that, all my other camera require them to shut down.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Okay this one surprised me as I'd not seen or read anything about it and only just discovered it yesterday.

On the GH5, I can now change white balance whilst still recording, yet on my GH4/G80 and GX85, I had to stop recording to do this. It was a total fluke I chanced upon this; I needed to adjust white balance in the middle of the Ceremony and just hit the button without thinking I needed to stop recording. Was half way through changing settings before I realised the significance of what I was doing.

A small but useful feature.
Never tried that Steve, thanks for the info.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #4
New Boot

I try to find a way to see the color temperature in Kelvin after manual white balance on a white slate or grey card. That would be handy to match with other cameras. Any ideas?
Tobias Meinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I suggest ExifToolGUI which I have been using for some years now, here is a screenshot.

This is a small list at the moment as I have not had time yet to populate it more for my GH5. It can show a huge amount of Exif data if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
GH5 White Balance-gh5-metadata.png  
Old May 17th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Claire, good advise. But it seems there is no way to check it right away in camera to match cameras on set.
Tobias Meinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi

Seems this could be a candidate for the the firmware request thread, there are similar requests to see aperture, ISO and shutter speed when those are automatically set but currently hidden, i.e. you can't see the values the camera has chosen.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...-requests.html

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series