Zoom / Focus controllers for JVC GY-HD series Pro HD camcorders - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 16th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #16
Wrangler

Yes. Tim is on crack.

(er, I mean he misread)
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #17
Capt. Quirk

Jeez... with all these remote controllers, you'll end up needing 6 hands to operate!
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Dual pan handles, one for focus and one for zoom, will allow you to change the focal plane and focal length at the same time if that's what you want to do. Putting both controllers on a single pan handle pretty much kills that capability though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Dual pan handles, one for focus and one for zoom, will allow you to change the focal plane and focal length at the same time if that's what you want to do. Putting both controllers on a single pan handle pretty much kills that capability though.
Other than an event recording, when would you want to that?
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Your question is not clear. When would I want to do what? Put both controllers on a single pan handle? Never. Put each controller on its own pan handle? Always, in any situation that calls for shooting on a tripod. The only exception I can think of is when shooting from a crane; in that case you'll want to mount both controllers to something like a VariZoom VZ-CS1 Control Station, although if you're stuck operating the crane *and* the camera by yourself, you can simply mount both controllers on the operating end of the crane.

If you meant, why would I want to change focus and zoom at the same time? The answer is very seldom would I ever want to do that, but the accepted industry standard practice is to mount the focus controller on the left pan handle and the zoom controller on the right pan handle, for ease of use if for nothing else. It makes perfect sense, so I guess that's why it's standard practice. Hope this helps,

Old July 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #21
Major Player

The latter...other than a sports event or wedding, I couldn't figure out why you would change zoom and focus together.

I was thinking of an equivalent to the controls for the HVX200, like the Varizoom VZ - RockPZFI. I've thought of the HVX200 and HD100 as direct competitors. Is the HVX200 control really unacceptable?

On a side note, does the HD110, HD200, or HD250 provide external control of the focus assist?
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
The latter...other than a sports event or wedding, I couldn't figure out why you would change zoom and focus together.
You would change the zoom and focus simultaneously anytime you are following something that is coming at you or away from you and you're holding the frame tight to the subject. The focus is changed because the object is coming at you at (or away) and the zoom has to be changed because you need to zoom out as it is getting closer or zoom in as it is going away. This kind of shot is mainly done in sports but obviously variations of it can be done in almost any type of production. The point is, when you are operating a camera with rear lens controls on a tripod the norm is to have focus control on one pan bar and zoom control on the other pan bar.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #23
Major Player

It just seems the HVX200 has a simple $300 solution including remote iris, and the HD100 has a $800-1000 soluton without remote iris.
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

And that's because quite unlike the fixed lens on the HVX200, the HD100 instead uses an interchangeable professional broadcast video lens, on which the zoom is remotely controlled via the standard 8-pin jack and focus is remotely controlled via the geared ring on the lens barrel. But I've explained this before.

With the HD100, you're entering an entirely different arena in terms of the pricing for camera accessories. The HD100 requires pro battery solutions, interchangeable broadcast video lenses, and professional lens controllers (plus a heavy-duty tripod head with dual pan handles). It's an altogether different environment concerning the pricing for HD100 accessories.

Rest assured that the lens controllers, for example, are (at $1000 for the pair) priced no differently than they would be for any other camera that uses interchangeable Fujinon broadcast video lenses.

Old July 17th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #25
Major Player

While there are some (rather expensive) optional lenses, is the standard lens really any better than the built in lens in a HVX200?
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

That's no longer related the original topic of lens controllers, so you should post it as a new question in our General HD / HDV Acquisition forum (since it relates to two different camcorders). However you need to be aware that the primary difference between the HVX200 and HD100 that overrides all other considerations including lenses, is that of workflow. Because now you're talking mainly about choosing the DVCPRO HD format on flash memory vs. the HDV format on tape. This carries a much greater impact on what you're doing than does any difference in the glass at this level.

Choose your format first... then choose your camera. The right format for you is the one whose workflow suits your personal preferences, acquisition needs and editing system capabilities. The right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands. No other technical specification matters anywhere nearly as much as the two primary factors of workflow and ergonomics.

Old July 18th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #27
Major Player

Chris

Who makes the zoom controller that mounts on the handle of the JVC? (shown here : http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=300&c=20 )

Is it JVC and is it available? Where? I've never seen it mentioned before.

Thanks

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
This is a 7.3# camera. Most of the heads in that range are single handled. Including the one I have. In the Bogen catalog, none of the heads for this weight are dual handled. One may have the second handle as an option.
David
The Manfrotto/Bogen 503 head has the option to attach 2 handles. Only one is supplied.

I own one.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Drew, that controller is a prototype from JVC... check out the text that goes with those photos. I haven't seen it since that show. I have the 503 head as well, and ordered the optional extra pan handle when I bought it, so mine came with two.

Old July 18th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Drew, that controller is a prototype from JVC... check out the text that goes with those photos. I haven't seen it since that show. I have the 503 head as well, and ordered the optional extra pan handle when I bought it, so mine came with two.

Aw well. It'll be the Zoe III then.

Thanks

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers