Zoom / Focus controllers for JVC GY-HD series Pro HD camcorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old July 15th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom / Focus controllers for JVC GY-HD series Pro HD camcorders

I need to control the zoom remotely on my HD100. Can anyone tell me which controlers fit well for this camera? I saw one model from Varizoom and they say it is good for the Fujinon lens on the HD100. Any other makes?
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Trustee

JVC shows a zoom control and focus control on the accessory page for the HD100/110. However, I have not seen them nor read any comments about them. I would be interested in how these compare to other brands.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/a...&feature_id=05
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Wrangler

A standard fujinon remote should work fine.
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Palmier
I need to control the zoom remotely on my HD100. Can anyone tell me which controlers fit well for this camera? I saw one model from Varizoom and they say it is good for the Fujinon lens on the HD100. Any other makes?
What kind of tripod are you using? The reason I ask is because some tripod makers have Fujinon controller pan arms that you can get. I know Libec and Slik has one and I think Miller and some of the others as well.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi George - We use the Fujinon SRD-92 (8 Pin) ... its very good...every so often you see a lot of these units on ebay.

Regards: Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Menelaws
Hi George - We use the Fujinon SRD-92 (8 Pin) ... its very good...every so often you see a lot of these units on ebay.

Regards: Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk
Does the Fujinon CFH-3 Focus Control work with the HD100 lens?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Does the Fujinon CFH-3 Focus Control work with the HD100 lens?
If it is 8-pin it will work fine.
Old July 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Oops... Tim... correct me if I'm wrong, but the 8-pin jack is for zoom only. A focus controller connects via a screw-in mounting block directly on the left side of the lens barrel adjacent to the focus ring, right?

As in this photo: http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=290&c=20

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Major Player

HD100 -- anyone using remote zoom & focus controls?

Is so, which are JVC and which are Fujinon? Do you need a two handled tripod to use both?

What about remote iris and record functions? Finally, is there a remote 'focus assist' button?

Thanks,

David

Last edited by David Ziegelheim; July 16th, 2006 at 12:33 AM.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Most tripods which are suitable for the HD100 will allow for two pan handles. The extra handle is usually readily available and can be ordered with your tripod (check our DV Info Net site sponsors). Typically with pro cameras such as the HD100, the focus controller is mounted on the left tripod pan handle and the zoom controller is mounted on the right tripod pan handle. There are a wide variety of focus and zoom controllers for the professional broadcast video lenses used on the JVC GY-HD100 series camcorders. Common brands of controllers include Fujinon, JVC, VariZoom, Bebob, Bogen, and Libec just to name just a few.

Here are some photos of an HD100 dressed out with focus and zoom controls on twin pan handles.

Moved from the HD100 forum to the Lens Controls forum. Hope this helps,

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Major Player

I wish you didn't move this post. I wasn't asking a generic question...I was asking a specific HD100 question. I know how the controllers work, however many of the heads for an HD100 sized camera won't be two handled. Additionally, the controllers for a HD100 lens are MUCH more expensive than say the electronic interface(s) on an HVX200 or Z1. Maybe 20% the cost of the camera or more.

Please move this post back.

P.S.
Is that studio setup going with an HD output to a remote broadcast system? Not quite what I am planning....:)
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

No I will NOT move it back as this is the proper location for your particular topic. Your question is more specific to lens controllers than it is to the HD100. Now that I have moved the thread, it is properly categorized. Please learn how this site works.

The right head for the HD100 *will* allow for an additional pan handles. If you pick a single-handled tripod head for the HD100, then you're not choosing the correct head for that camera. I don't know of any single-handled head that would be appropriate for an HD100.

This forum covers standard 8-pin zoom controllers, separate focus controllers and yes even the low-end electronic LANC controllers as well. Even if your question concerned the low-end LANC controllers, this would still be the correct forum for it. So rest assured that I have in fact put it where it belongs.

It's critical to realize that the HD100 is a professional camera that calls for professional level add-ons including lens controllers, tripod heads, battery systems and more. Realistically you should expect to pay about 50% of the cost of the camera for all of these items together. Perhaps more than that. Remember these are business tools that should pay for themselves quickly if your business plan is sound.

In the future, please post to the appropriate forum. We have separate boards here for monitors, tripod heads, editing software, etc. You have access to all of them; it's just a matter of thinking beyond the camera. Thanks in advance,

Old July 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #13
Major Player

This is a 7.3# camera. Most of the heads in that range are single handled. Including the one I have. In the Bogen catalog, none of the heads for this weight are dual handled. One may have the second handle as an option.

Few if any of the people I wanted to ask will visit this forum. I know I don't. I'm not really interested in the what someone renting a $1500/day setup for a month is using. I more interested in what someone who chose buying an HD100 over say a HVX200 because of cost is doing.

I've also amended the original post to reflect some questions I left out about remote control functions. At least one, and probably two of which are NOT remote lens control functions but are related to remote control of the HD100.

For the people I was trying to reach I WAS in the right forum.

Also note, this lens does not take a JVC focus unit ("An HZ-FM13 cannot be used with a Th16×5.5BRMU or S14×7.3B12/U zoom lens.") and Bogen and Bebob doen't have focus units either. They do have single handle solutions for the HVX200 though.
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
This is a 7.3# camera. Most of the heads in that range are single handled. Including the one I have. In the Bogen catalog, none of the heads for this weight are dual handled.
The Bogen catalog I'm looking at right now shows that all of their Pro Video heads support two handles. Ignore the weight recommendation. If you're interested in Bogen then you need to be looking at their Pro Video heads, otherwise you're selling yourself short and making a serious mistake. Start at the Bogen 501 and work your way up from there.

Quote:
One may have the second handle as an option.
I said that in my first reply... order the second handle when you order the head and sticks. So what if it's an option, the point is that it's available and you can add it to your order. An extra pan handle is cheap, usually about $50 or so.

Quote:
Few if any of the people I wanted to ask will visit this forum.
They will now, because I did you a favor and left a re-direct in the HD100 forum to this thread. We want our members to get full use out of this site, and to not make the mistake of staying buried in any one particular camera area. That's why we have these separate boards for monitors, for tripods, etc. Plus, you benefit from the expertise of non-HD100 owners because, as I've said, these controllers are pretty much standardized and are not specific to just the HD100. Trust me. I manage one of the most popular digital video message boards in the world and I've been at this for awhile.

Quote:
Also note, this lens does not take a JVC focus unit ("An HZ-FM13 cannot be used with a Th16×5.5BRMU or S14×7.3B12/U zoom lens.") and Bogen and Bebob doen't have focus units either. They do have single handle solutions for the HVX200 though.
VariZoom makes a focus controller that fits this lens. And it's more accurate to say that Bogen and Bebob have dual-handle solutions for the HVX200 which can be mounted on a single handle if desired. But that's beside the point, because quite unlike the HVX200, the HD100 uses an interchangeable professional broadcast video lens, on which the zoom is remotely controlled via the standard 8-pin jack and focus is remotely controlled via the geared ring on the lens barrel. These are always *separate* controllers (until you get to wireless remote controllers for 35mm motion picture cameras; you can hold a Preston MicroForce remote zoom / iris / focus controller in one hand but it costs $20,000). Fortunately in professional broadcast video it's not outrageously expensive for a pair of controllers. For example a VariZoom focus and zoom combo for the HD100 costs less than $1000. Ideally you'll mount them on separate handles because they're easier to operate that way. Hope this helps,

Old July 16th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
What about remote iris and record functions?
Remote record start (often called a VTR trigger) is a standard feature included on any 8-pin zoom controller.

Remote iris is possible, the least expensive way is in the form of a second focus controller. In this case the control block attaches to the lens at the iris ring instead of the focus ring. The controller handle is commonly mounted further up the left pan handle and at an angle from the focus controller.

Quote:
Finally, is there a remote 'focus assist' button?
Unfortunately no.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers