Zoom / Focus controllers for JVC GY-HD series Pro HD camcorders - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 18th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #31
Capt. Quirk

I thought they were going to offer that as an add on accessory for folks who wanted the zoom on the handle. I assume it would be for folks who hand hold the cam, as opposed to shoulder mounting it? Does anybody actually have any luck using this cam like that? How do you hold it and zoom/focus?
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I thought they were going to offer that as an add on accessory for folks who wanted the zoom on the handle. I assume it would be for folks who hand hold the cam, as opposed to shoulder mounting it? Does anybody actually have any luck using this cam like that? How do you hold it and zoom/focus?
Keith
I handhold my HD100 a lot - my right hand on the handle controlling recording and focus assist, with my left hand controlling focusing and the lens zoom controller (the latter being a little awkward). I'm purchasing the Zoe III zoom controler to mount on the handle to make zooming easier.

I press the battery pack into my stomach or between my left arm and ribs (a bit like a bag pipe!) for extra stability. I couldn't hold it for long out in front of my body as my arms would get sore.

Sometimes I crouch down on one knee and place the camera on my thigh.

I've designed and built a device that allows me to hold the camera like what can be best descibed as a chain-saw!! Its made from a shower curtain pole... it helps stabilization quite a bit IMHO. Its still in the early trial stage. It will require both zoom and focus controllers - like the multirig would - for perfect handling. I've designed it so that I can tripod mount the camera with it still attached. In its current form it ain't pretty!

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #33
Capt. Quirk

When I was using the GL1, I got to holding it out in front of me more and more. I got a little smoother picture when I cradled it like that. This beastie though... if the zoom were mounted further back like a hand held cam, it wouldn't be so bad. Oh well... thank God for tripods!
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #34
Major Player

Well that makes three of us who have the 503 head! Mine is on 542ART legs. I was concerned that an HD100/HVX200 would require an upgrade to a Vinten, Sachler, or 519. It is rare that I shoot with the bigger camera without either the tripod or Glidecam 2000 with forearm brace. I do handhold a Sony PC105 every now and then. It draws a lot less (unwanted) attention. But the sound only works with a remote dynanmic mic.

BTW, it seems to me, unless I really like transferring from tape, that a Firestore and DVRack will be my primary recording mechansim. With Cineform and PP. However, I think that requires Prospect HD for the HVX and only Aspect HD for the HD100.

Yes, I know, another forum. :)

From what I saw you could mix the Varizoom rocker for zoom and grip for focus on the same arm. But what about iris?
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #35
Major Player

Rear Focus Control JVC ProHD

If you bought a Rear focus controller for the Fujinon such as the JVC one (HZ-FM13U)

eg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and then you bought a Canon lens later on could the HZ-FM13U be used with the Canon lens at all?

I know there is the JVC rear focus for Canon lens too (JVC HZ-FM15U) but can you buy a different cable end to convert between the two?

Thanks in advance

Guy
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #36
JVC America

Guy, the only difference between the Fujinon control and the Canon control (the versions that JVC sells) is the gear block that attaches to the lens. So, check with JVC parts in your area to see if you can buy just a Canon gear block. If you can't, then check with Canon.

Regards,
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #37
Trustee

I purchased a JVC rear focus controler used, and it did not come with the gear block that attaches to the lens.

I called the main JVC parts number and was given a number in New Jersey to call. I no longer have it, but there is a man there who looks up parts and he gave me the number of the part to order and I ordered it online.

Be sure you get the number for the gear block that attaches to the lens. I was given the number for the handle gear block by mistake the first time. (I was able to return it, call the man again, and get the right number).

The handle piece is something over $100 while the correct part that attaches to the lens is something over $200 from JVC.

As a side note, there are different part numbers for the handles for the different controlers for the different lenses -- however, in actuality, the part is the same except for the name plate on the handle which denotes which lens the entire unit is for (meaning the lens attachment block). As Carl said, the handle and the cable are the same for all the units.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #38
Major Player

Aren't the ends of the focus cable different for Fuji and Canon focus cables? I seem to remember the focus cables for the Canon lenses I've used having a square-shaped end while Fuji cables use a flat bit.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #39
JVC America

That would be correct in the case of the Fujinon and Canon controls that come from Fujinon and Canon. On JVC focus controls however, the cable end is the same for both Canon and Fuji. The JVC focus control cable uses the "flat bit" type.

Regards, Carl
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #40
Major Player

Hi Carl,

JVC Service Australia (Space Engineering) is having difficulty finding the correct part for me.

I just bought a HZ-FM13U without any lens attachment from eBay for $102.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160046737560.

Now I need to source the Canon lens attachment (ie from the 15U) but I wouldn't mind getting a Fujinon attacment (for the 13U) as well so I can use it on either lens type.

The service agent has sent me a pdf with the 13U totally broken apart (ie every little gear and screw) but it doesn't give us a complete unit part number.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #41
JVC America

Hi Guy,

Sorry, there's not much I can do from this side of the globe, as JVC Australia has it's own parts and service companies, separate from the US companies. I suggest you contact your local JVC rep and put him or her on the task. Also, try contacting your local Canon and Fujinon reps.

Regards,
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #42
Major Player

Hi Carl,

I hope you don't think I was asking you to get me the parts as I know it doesn't work that way. What I was hoping for was the part numbers. Perhaps you know someone who knows someone in JVC who would know this info. Then I can go back to my local JVC service/parts centre and give them a part number they can source.

Cheers

Guy
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #43
JVC America

Guy, I'll try to get that info.

Regards,
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #44
Major Player

Guy, I bought mine from Armato's in New York.
Dennis at Armato's know the part #

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #45
Trustee

I bought this part for the 13x lens which uses the HZFM13U focus controller:

NAME OF PART:
Focus Gear Module (the complete part ready to attach to cable)

PART NUMBER:
HZ-FM13-G. M. ASY

COST FROM JVC PARTS U.S.:
$ 260.39 (US$)

-------------------------------------------------------------
I got the part number from a man in New Jersey. I called the parts number, and I was given the direct phone number to this man who looked up the part and gave me the number. I then ordered the part online from JVC: www.jvcservice.com.

Here is the webpage and part numbers for the HZFM13U:
http://www.jvcservice.com/Service/JM...MdlNbr=HZFM13U
Both the Gear Module Ass. and the instruction booklet are listed.

Here is the webpage and part numbers for the HZFM15U:
http://www.jvcservice.com/Service/JM...MdlNbr=HZFM15U
Unfortunately, only the instruction booklet is listed, not the gear module assembly.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers