Show Your Work 2002 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old August 7th, 2002, 03:02 PM   #196
Obstreperous Rex

See http://greenestreetfilms.com/projects/chateau.html -- however I didn't notice a trailer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #197
Major Player

* * THE LINK * *

Here is a link:

http://movies.go.com/movies/T/thechateau_2002/index.html

A fairly reliable connection/highspeed/56K...
Old August 7th, 2002, 07:23 PM   #198

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/the_chateau.html

Quicktime Movie Trailers site.

Decide for yourself.
Old August 8th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #199
Regular Crew

JVC-500 & XL's used in concert footage

It should be noted that in the concert series 4 XL's and a JVC-500 were used in the mix. Because of the reverse angles, you can physically see the different systems and get a great opportunity to see a picture comparison of these cameras in a production environment. The difference is not as noticable with this streaming footage as with the DV masters though. During the day a noticable difference is apparent, but once darkness sets in, the XL's and JVC look almost identical under the the stage lighting.
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #200
Wrangler

Interesting. I think DV is the next skill that the new crew of kids will learn to do (just like spreadsheets, word processing, Internet, and db).

The skill here is still learning how to tell a story and to put it to tape.

Nathan Gifford
Old August 9th, 2002, 03:43 PM   #201
Regular Crew

How hot are these kind of jobs?

I came across the ad below at a indie web site. I like what this
guy is doing for living. But, the question I have is, can I get continuous projects if I have something like this. How hard or how easy is it to get projects right now. If anybody is in the same business, how do you guys get the projects. How do you approach producers? And if you don't mind, how much do you earn a year?

>>Rent Me - DP w/ DV Filming Package

>Available for Hire: Cinematographer with DV equipment for film >projects. Package includes DP, JVC DV-500 Professional Digital >Video Camera (14-bit DSP, 750 effective lines of resolution, mini->DV format), ND filters, Polarizing filter, Bogen Manfrotto fluid >head tripod, shotgun microphone with 12/foot boom, one >wireless lavelier mic (16-bit, 48kHz 2-channel XLR input >recording), 1500 Watt 3-point lighting set-up (w/ ND filters, >diffusion filters and color correction filters), Minolta light meter, 5->inch LCD color monitor. $250 for 10-hour day, or $950 for five 10->hour days. Contact Me at xxx-xxx-xxxx and look at website at >www.
Old August 9th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #202
Regular Crew

$250 for a 10 hour day?

That's cheap!

It sounds like he/she is just starting off and trying to gain experience and a reel.

Pricing your video services really depends on what part of the country you're in. Most of the people I know here in Houston charge between $85 to $150 an hour for one camera Op/DP and camera.

As far as the steadiness of this work, that too depends where you are located. If you're in LA or New York you should be able to find jobs easier. It sounds like the ad above is strictly for film work, you will probably find more work in corporate video and event type stuff.
Old August 9th, 2002, 11:04 PM   #203
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Fstop_Elvis : $250 for a 10 hour day?

Pricing your video services really depends on what part of the country you're in. Most of the people I know here in Houston charge between $85 to $150 an hour for one camera Op/DP and camera.
-->>>

Elvis is right. My rate is $175.00 per hour plus trip charge, with a one hour minimum.
Houston, Texas
Old August 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM   #204
Regular Crew

I don't know where this guy is from but that rate is far less than the going rate in the Washington area. My still photo day rate is $500 and video/film work bills at $200 a hour plus expenses (and both are considered bargain rates in this part of the country).
Old August 12th, 2002, 05:33 PM   #205
Regular Crew

Large Screen Tv Style commercial for the net

Check this out. filmed with the Canon xl1, we want to break into TV Style comercials for the internet. This was the first time we tried to go full screen so its a bit rough and we lost our location just before the shoot so the set is just a digital creation. We filmed against a white wall.

File size is 4mb and it lasts 60 seconds so even the slowest cable or dsl wont have a long wait, let me know what you think

http://www.mantaproductions.com/fullscreen

cheers

Jp.
Old August 12th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #206
Major Player

This was really interesting and I loved the music.

I had to watch it twice to understand the wadded up piece of paper motif. Maybe it's all a little too much to take in at once. Shows great promise.
Old August 12th, 2002, 07:37 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,

Yes its true. This was more an exercise on demonstrating the technique than a good story telling comercial. We tried to throw in as many ways to mix up the video and vector elements as possible and keep bit rates down.

The next one we will be much simpler and clearer.

thanks

jp
Old August 12th, 2002, 07:52 PM   #208
Major Player

Re: Large Screen Tv Style commercial for the net

<<<-- Originally posted by whiterabbit : Check this out. filmed with the Canon xl1, we want to break into TV Style comercials for the internet. This was the first time we tried to go full screen so its a bit rough and we lost our location just before the shoot so the set is just a digital creation. We filmed against a white wall.
-->>>

Man I love the use of video in Flash. Is that a hard thing to achieve? I recently upgraded to MX and have not tried this yet. Also, I liked your use of the digital set. I felt that it really worked well with your presentation.

Nicely done production and I also liked the music.
Houston, Texas
Old August 12th, 2002, 08:09 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback.

Using video in Flash as simulated video ( sequence of images) is not hard but there are a few glitches you gotta watch out for. I learned a few new tricks with this production so hopefully I can do a better job on the next one.

I don't know about MX, some people have said good things about it others bad, we have not messed with it yet. This is Flash 4 we are using.

Lots of thanks on the digital set but I will never do that again, had to cut out all those frames by hand, my wrist is as big as watermelon :)

If anybody knows who recorded that music let us know. We found it on an old tape and would like to contact them. They might not even be around anymore.
Old August 12th, 2002, 08:13 PM   #210
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by whiterabbit : Hi Paul,

Lots of thanks on the digital set but I will never do that again, had to cut out all those frames by hand, my wrist is as big as watermelon :)
-->>>

Did you use KnockOut by Procreate? That is a great app for eliminating unwanted backgrounds. Discreet also makes a tool for working with "blue screen" type of images. I forget the name but I am sure somebody might recall what it is.
Houston, Texas
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work