Show Your Work 2008 - Page 78 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #1156
Regular Crew

Super16 short film (comedy, of sorts)

Hey, this is a school project i worked on, i thought maybe you guys might want to see it.

they gave us one roll of film to work with(app. 2mins50sec), and out of that we had to shoot three 27 second takes, one of which had to be used in our final cut. the rest of the roll we could shoot whatever we wanted, but in the end it all had to come together and tell a story so this is what we came up with!

oh, and we shoot with Bolex's so we don't have sync sound, all the sound and foley was added in post!

interested to hear some criticism, thanks!

YouTube - Welcome to Nowhere

or, if you hate youtube try this one:
Welcome to Nowhere (on virb.com)
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1157
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bates View Post
I'm not sure about the music - it is peppy enough, but seems a bit too canned. Also, the ending shot does not seem in place with the rest of the reel.

Otherwise, I like it! It moves right along, and your work is quite good to my eye.
Thanks for the input. Any more comments on the content? Shot selection, pacing, length, quality, etc? I'd really like to cut this down to the best stuff.
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #1158
Major Player

That was pretty good. I really liked the voice of the....I dunno main guy in purgatory(not the actor) it sounded like the voice from the ship in "Flight of the Navigator). Your exposure looked good. I liked the comedy that was used when he smoked a cigarette. I'm very impressed with how you got around the sound issue....very creative.
If I had to criticize this at all it seemed like you stayed on the purgatory scene a little to long.
I know that you mentioned "student film" part for a comedy purpose, which is totally fine for when you show this at school, but I would probably have cut this for when you show a bunch of random people the film.
You did good though, I doubt I could have told the story any better.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #1159
Major Player

My entire DVX100 feature now online

For what it’s worth….Here’s the complete online version of my first feature film, a comedy called Rap Quest. It’s 10 parts, with each part being roughly 9 minutes. A few things to note here: Obviously, the quality of the image is severely degraded, having been transcoded for internet use. The other thing is that there is a strange motion blur effect when there is motion in the fame...I guess this is The motion was fine in my final DVD (which can be bought on Amazon.) As for the movie itself…what can I say…looking at it nearly 5 years later it seems pretty embarrassing. There’s a lot of stale humor in it, bad acting and the plot and character development are as thin as a hair. Nonetheless, it’s impossible not to find at least three or more scenes in this little no-budget straight to DVD movie that wont make you out right laugh. I promise you that. I’ll be uploading my entire 90 minute horror movie tomorrow. Enjoy!

-Glenn

Rap Quest - Part 1
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1160
Major Player

Charlie's Game - my latest short film

OK, I live in terror of showing my work to other people, but then again, if I don't how to progress as an artist?

I have it up on OurFilmSpace.com - Serving the Film and Television Industry in New England, a site for Film folks in the New England region of the US o' A.

This link should take you directly to the video page:

Dennis Stevens's Videos - OurFilmSpace.com

If that's not working you may try:

Dennis Stevens's Page - OurFilmSpace.com

and clicking on the 'Videos' section.

Note it is chopped into 3 parts.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #1161
Inner Circle

Nice images in there. I agree about the music - not sure what's wrong with it but it doesn't seem to be 'serious' enough.

If you're looking to trim it a little, I would be inclined to lose the scenes going under the garage door (not that exciting); hate to say it but the impact of the missile/comet on the building isn't totally convincing - the incoming portion is fine, so I'd think about cutting right at the point of impact (maybe adds a little tension, not actually seeing the explosion?); other than that I thought all the clips were interesting and kept my attention.

Also agree with Daniel about the ending. If it was my reel I would use the 'No More Free Shows' clip at the end - kinda fits in with what you're trying to do as well (assuming you're looking for work).

Nice reel. What did you use in making it?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #1162
Regular Crew

Mirror of Mute Mervin

Sup! Been a while since Ive been back here, but I just wanted to post a link to my uni major project. Its a trailer for a short I would like to someday complete. Shot entirely on green screen, using the great HVX202.

would love to hear all feedback

(please play with the high quality setting if u can)

YouTube - The Mirror of Mute Mervin - Trailer - Green screen short film

cheers
-josef
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #1163
Major Player

very nicely done! It's like Edward Scissor hands meets Sin City in feel. I could see Johnny Dep in the lead role. :)
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #1164
New Boot

Christmas - i try way to hard

check it out..

This Guy Sings Christmas
Tyler Graas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #1165
Major Player

Too funny!
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #1166
New Boot

Inside the Indie Documentary Trailer

Inside the Indie TRAILER on Vimeo

The documentary is done also by the way.
Kevin Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1167
Tourist

Trash The Dress from Bobruisk

Trash The Dress from Bobruisk on Vimeo
This is our first collaborative project. It was the first time when we were working with 2 cameras sony 2100 as well as with glidecam 2000.
Please, don’t try to find in our video some deep, or I would even say any kind of sense, we didn’t have any intentions to develop a story here.
Try to approach our video as an experimental project which was done by two guys from Bobruisk (Belarus). Simply after wedding we have offered to our newlyweds
to try to do something unusual, they welcomed our idea and as a result we came up with our own version of Trash the Dress.

Sasha Terentyev and Alexey Logajsky from Bobruisk (Belarus)
Logaiski Aleksey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #1168
Trustee

That was pretty cool. Nice consistent color palette. I'd like to have seen more shots linger on their faces (particularily hers, there were more of him, but only 2 brief ones of her face).
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #1169
Major Player

What Lori said, but it's fairly obvious you can produce great visuals from the reel - well done!
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1170
Major Player

Documentary trailer

Always difficult to know how to pitch a doc - this is a second version, still needs color grading and much more work... Return to Lake Havasu: the story of "Day of the Wolves"
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work