Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 95 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 18th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #1411
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Have any of you very knowledgeable 4k shooters had a chance to objectively compare what the Lumix fz1000 will look like as compared to your current models , the ax100 in particular. I've been a Sony fan for many years and will continue because of the reliabilty factor for one thing
the fz1000 is in my budget range but I don't want inferior video so what's the deal? will lumix stand up to ax100?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #1412
Major Player

A pro version of the AX100 is coming?
Slashcam News : Sony shows XDCAM Pro version of the FDR-AX100
Old June 18th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1413
Trustee

AX100 Firmware upgrade

"This utility updates the system firmware and provides the following benefits:

•Adds Direct Copy for XAVC S format support •Adds the following auto focus performance improvements: ◦Focusing accuracy for main subject ◦Focus tracking performance on a person

•Adds the 1/50 shutter speed •Improves zoom speed during movie recording"

Sony eSupport - FDR-AX100 - Support

How well does the focus tracking work on the AX100? Video test:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1414
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Ken, one of the reasons the downscale looks better is that it effectively becomes a 422 file compared to the original 420.These new cameras are already 10bit 422 and may very well give the same results.

Ron Evans
Right, but it's also the resolution Ron. I've yet to use an HD camera that had the luminance detail that the down rez'd 4K>HD had.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #1415
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
Have any of you very knowledgeable 4k shooters had a chance to objectively compare what the Lumix fz1000 will look like as compared to your current models , the ax100 in particular. I've been a Sony fan for many years and will continue because of the reliabilty factor for one thing
the fz1000 is in my budget range but I don't want inferior video so what's the deal? will lumix stand up to ax100?
I can only go by the one demo video that was released by Panasonic thus far. When viewed in 4K, it's apparent the Lumix doesn't have the resolution or the dynamic range of the AX1000. But at its price point, it's not reasonable to expect it would.
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1416
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier View Post
Guess you didn't read the page before this. Already discussed. No firm mention of 4K
Old June 18th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #1417
Trustee

Still nothing concrete, but those wanting some more info on the mystery cam i pointed to earlier in this thread, you might want to look at a certain red coloured toothy critter of a website.
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #1418
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Right, but it's also the resolution Ron. I've yet to use an HD camera that had the luminance detail that the down rez'd 4K>HD had.
For a normal consumer 420 camera that may be true but the resolution difference comes from the extra colour information that 422 brings to the downconvert that is there in the original for expensive pro 422 10 bit cameras now. 1920x1080 cannot get more and lots of consumer cameras have a lot less. However for a consumer camera the colour information at 420 is 1/4 of this. So the downconvert from 4K looks to have more resolution because of the extra colour information clearly seen in faces etc. Pro 422 or 444 HD cameras already have this extra information which is the point I was making for these new cameras from Sony. The difference for a downconvert from the AX100 may not be different for these 422 10bit cameras.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #1419
Tourist

re: the LANC... can you confirm the configuration you're using - I'm presuming the VMC-AVM1 adapter and RM-AV2 with the "D" A/V plug? I've got that combo and am trying to sort out using it with the RX series... it "should" work, but for some odd reason doesn't (see above!). The VPR1/VPR10 remotes use the MULTI, have the same chip that is in the AV2, which basically does the same thing in both units - allows remote control of zoom, on/off, shutter, record (the VPR "handle" I have adds a couple things). Glad to hear that it "should" work with the AX100 at least, as the camera is on the "acquire soon" list.

The instructions with the AVM1 show it for "Handycam", but strangely not for the Cybershots, even though the interface is definitely THERE on the MULTI interface to allow remote control!

So far I've got pinouts, and have the two controllers apart for "examination", just haven't figured out the "key" to unlock the function - Sony uses "trigger" resistors, and somehow the VPR's do something a little different from the AV2 LANC controls... I suspect it's just a resistor on one of the other pins....

It would help to know for sure that the AVM1/AV2 combo does work on the AX100, I'm presuming that the VPR's also work...

Sony comes up with these "new improved" interfaces, and it's "fun" to try to figure out how to make them do what you expect!! The MULTI seems to replace the A/V, which replaced the LANC and A/V.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering is you have gotten the LANC to work and what is the correct setup and parts?
Thanks in advance
Todd Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1420
Inner Circle

Mark, thanks for link for update. It seems to me zoom speed is faster since I updated.
Old June 19th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #1421
Inner Circle

Re: AX100 Firmware upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
Improves zoom speed during movie recording
Wish they would come to their senses and improve this on the rx10 as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #1422
Regular Crew

No issues with this firmware update?

I have a new AX-100 that I have been testing, nothing used for real production yet, guess I can take the leap.

UPDATE: Firmware 2.0 uploaded, no issues so far.
Derek McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1423
Inner Circle

@ Todd -

Haven't yet figured out any way to make the AV2 work with the RX series - it does work fine using the AVM1 to the the AX100 I've picked up since that post.

Have been too busy to return to the reverse engineering process. Power is transmitted, but the LANC signal isn't, I'm fairly sure there is a trigger mechanism of some sort, but that's as far as I've gotten...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1424
Inner Circle

Got a chance to take the AX100 out for some "fun" shooting (so didn't matter if my camera work stunk as I fatigued while marching around a "theme park"!).

First thing I wanted to "test" was shutter speeds and the ND filters - I got more "pleasant" motion (and seemingly less RS) if I kept the shutter speeds down - nice slight motion blur, instead of stutter from individual sharp frames. 60, 90, 125 seemed to work well, where at first I saw the camera on auto picking 350, and it didn't look as good! Manual control was quite easy to use - I could lock in the shutter speed, and let the camera ride the rest, with exposure compensation on the "wheel" as needed...

I did find a little "shimmer" in some areas on a couple clips (a light metal fence in the distance against a darker background of people) - nothing major, and I suspect unavoidable IF you also want super sharp footage. I may also have been at the hgher end of the shutter - was experimenting through the day... learning the controls.

All in all, the camera did a stunningly fine job, though I should have brought a compact monopod... when I was reasonably steady, the camera did a great job, even at night (fireworks/light show). Mostly tried to use the VF, especially in bright sun, that helped!

I still found myself wishing the RX10 had 4K.... but the AX100 is proving to be an excellent camera in it's own right. Now I've got to "edit" some and see how that goes!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:18 AM   #1425
Regular Crew

May I ask, has the firmware update addressed what I feel is a bug and not a feature, the inability of the camera to remember to stay in large 4x 3 (15m) in image size menu when in photo mode.
It drives me nuts having to reset the image size every time I switch to photo mode!
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds