Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 87 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #1291
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
A@Ken - I have a dual setup, primary is the bargain basement Seiki 39" 30Hz TV connected via HDMI - the stock settings were INCREDIBLY "off"... current ones are "acceptable", after adjusting... I played with the "sharpness" control just to see what would happen, and sure enough, the details in the grass made all that area "flash" pretty garishly! I already KNEW it looked fine with sharpness on 0, so this was an "exercise", but had I not already tweaked the settings extensively, it would have been shocking! Might have thought there was something "wrong" with "something"... or something....
Yup. Proving once again that if we muck with something and make it 'wrong', we can either acknowledge something is wrong in our setup or blame it on the camera. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #1292
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ron, actually the latest version of Edius does do XAVC-S.

But I've seen no difference between exports in XAVC-S and H264. Both look visually lossless.
Yes you are correct I forgot that 7.3 included XAVC-S. . I think XAVC-S is much of h264 anyway so not likely much difference.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1293
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Dave,
you always keep telling me the same thing about my lack of knowledge. I understand you, you are right. But on my latest post I have just written only a confirmation about what you wrote, that is my Edius presets are good. My real problem is the old HDTV.
OK, so come prepared to LEARN, not to bash a camera because you don't have the fundamentals down...

I was "glad" I could reproduce your flashing (yes, it is QUITE the garish sight!), but you wanted to flush the camera down the drain because it was such a horrible purchase... seems a tad drastic, especially when it's EASY to take time, be patient, LEARN how to get the most out of the camera, and make it work! Sometimes you even have to read the manual, as horrific as that seems (reminding myself to research that "My Buttion" thingy!).

I noticed right away that the VF stutters, but now I realize it could be VERY helpful to guide camera technique - I don't "like" the noticeable 30p stutter, but now I can spot it and correct my technique, easy peasy... plusses and minuses...

I went into this camera knowing that there will be a learning curve, HDV was a straight up learning WALL at the time! Fortunately there was a LOT of discussion here...

DVi is a good place to come and ask questions, compare notes, and learn more than any human ever thought they could about video... but generally it's considered bad form to baselessly bag on a piece of tech or another member - Please take that into consideration - you'll find things work out better that way!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #1294
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yup. Proving once again that if we muck with something and make it 'wrong', we can either acknowledge something is wrong in our setup or blame it on the camera. :)
Oh, I'm looking forward to the adventure, nothing like doing it wrong a few times to make you feel so good when you get it right!

Coming off of a couple weeks dialing in a new computer (finally NO crashes for 3-4 days straight 24/7 running! Only minor program/driver related "bugs" now! And it's the quietest system I've ever owned to boot), it was nice to see the output from the AX100, even if there were some "flaws" that I suspect mean I need a little more tweaking and perhaps (at least I hope) a couple more minor upgrades! Even on the "lo-budget" build, I'm loving a 4K (4x 1920x1080!!) "desktop" on a single screen! I'm sure editing will be a magnitude of multiples better, even IF I'll be stumbling about sorting out the 4K workflow for a bit!

Life on the Bleeding Edge...
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #1295
Regular Crew

Bit the bullet and ordered an FDR-AX100 from B&H this weekend. Bought two extra batteries, since this is my first Sony I don't have any Sony gear. Also got two 128GB Class 10 cards. Then found the "kit" doesn't come with a battery charger (they make you use the actual camcorder to charge the battery), so had to purchase two battery chargers as well.

Does anyone have the info on how much space 4K XAVC-S is per minute on SD cards?

Going to test color this upcoming week with some of my studio LED lights (which have a slight spike in green). Testing flesh tones with different custom white balances and also warming gels on LEDs. I need this camcorder for indoor studio stuff with people.

I work exclusively in Final Cut Pro X ... any other users see any difference in ProRes vs ProRes HQ when transcoding, since the data rate is only 60Mps in 4K?

Looking forward to seeing what this camcorder can do, especially shooting in 4K and then doing post cropping and panning to 1080. I do many close-up facial type fashion shots and slow horizontal slider shots, where models are moving. So shooting a little wider, then doing precise tight cropping is what I need.
Derek McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:57 AM   #1296
Major Player

[QUOTE=Dave Blackhurst;1845801]Adriano - you've already got your answer on framerates, you should have an EU PAL camera, with 25 (actually 24.97?) framerate instead of the US/NTSC 30 (actually 29.97).

Dave, as I am in PAL country I do believe this is incorrect. PAL is exactly 25 frames per second.

Regards,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM   #1297
Inner Circle

@ Vaughn -

It's hard to keep these things straight, and since they typically "round" the numbers, it's hard to keep track! I know my "30Hz/p" monitor is very picky when the Intel driver wants to feed it 29... Somehow I thought that PAL (could have sworn I saw it in the properties menus in Vegas...?) had the same slightly "off" framerate, but could just be us NTSC folks...
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM   #1298
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore View Post
MIS-SHOE (DM-Accessories) ***Report***

I received the adapter today and installed it as the instructions state: Thin beveled edge towards front of the camera.

Unfortunately a slight push of the adapter from front to back even after tightening the knob pops it out of the shoe. I've tried it multiple times. I will check with the manufacturer but at this point I cannot recommend this device at this time.

Update—The ebay seller suggested I may have a bad part so I will report back what I find out.

Update #2— The manufacturer is sending me another part to try. They also gave me some tips which do help the part fit tighter. I'll report back soon as it's overall a well made piece of gear and I hope to get it working.
Hi Marc, did you get the new MIS-SHOE? I can not wait to read your review.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:11 PM   #1299
Inner Circle

It's only NTSC that has the slightly off frame rates. It stems back to the introduction of color where it was found that the color signal at 30fps interfered with the sound sub carrier, so the frame rate was lowered a fraction to make it all work. Bit of a fudge really, but that's what happened.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #1300
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Hi Marc, did you get the new MIS-SHOE? I can not wait to read your review.
I picked one up to use on the FDR-AX100 - great fit, easy to use, just what is needed.
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #1301
Major Player

DM-Accessories MIS-SHOE Review

Here are my thoughts on this device:

Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #1302
Major Player

Remember how the HC! would downconvert in camera and output dv thru firewire
HDV Acquisition and DV output resulted in nicer dv than if shot dv
I'm wondering if there is an analogues situation with this cam?
IE is there anyway to shoot 4k and then have the camera downconvert so-as to reap the benefits of the enhanced 1080p without having to deal with the 4k files?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #1303
Trustee

That downconversion feature exists in the AX100.

4k> HD is done very nicely in the camera.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #1304
Major Player

Quote:
That downconversion feature exists in the AX100.

4k> HD is done very nicely in the camera.
That's beautiful
How does it work exactly. I mean there's only one card slot right? and doesn't record to internal memory so how is the hd output?
ahh are there 2 slots?
SDXC Memory Card (Class 10) for XAVC S;
Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or Higher) for AVCHD and still image

or is this the method?
External media device
VMC-UAM2 USB Adaptor Cable
(sold separately)
High definition
image quality (HD)
External media
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #1305
Trustee

It's handled 'live', on-the-fly, as you are playing 4k clips from the camera direct to your HDTV.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds