AX100 Firmware 3.0 is out today!! - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 6th, 2015, 06:47 AM   #91
Major Player

Re: AX100 Firmware 3.0 is out today!!

Not familiar with Respeeder but I have Twixtor for creating slow motion. Would be great if there's a noticeable improvement there. Even on static scenes, if I crop in to a ridiculous size, like SD, I can tell that the 100Mbps is less pixelated than the 60Mbps. But I think for 95% of what I typically do with the camera, nobody will know the difference. Great little camera that fits in my dSLR bag along with the 6D. (Man, I haven't picked up my XF305 in awhile now.)

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #92
Major Player

I agree that the difference is less obvious than I expected, and much less obvious when viewing video rather than screen captures.

I have the X70, and since its upcoming 4K upgrade has been announced as 60 Mbps rather than 100, these clips raise the likelihood (pending seeing actual footage) of my purchasing that upgrade from 40% to 50%. In other words, it's not a deal breaker for me given the things I shoot.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:59 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Had the X70 4K upgrade been for 4:2:2, I would then say the differences would be more visible. But then, at only 60 Mbps, the compression ratio would be quite high.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #94
Major Player

Seriously You need a 4k monitor
There's a reason the 100mbs is only available in uhd
You wouldn't shoot hd to view on a uhd monitor and viceversa

Last edited by Bruce Dempsey; April 6th, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #95
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Paul,

I wasn't able to upload the screen-shot of the tree until I re-sized it to 50%. Not sure why it wouldn't go at original size since it was well within the size limits listed for .jpg files.

I have also uploaded a screen shot of the toy train that is cropped in quite a bit.

I took 4 screen shots of the tree clip and it does consistently show that the left side holds up better when I magnify in. The 60Mbps looks more "muddier" and pixelated.

Mark
Thanks for that Mark - yes it does show a marked improvement, interesting!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds