AX100 Firmware 3.0 is out today!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: AX100 Firmware 3.0 is out today!!

Yes, Andy, you did not need to wait! The original update at the link posted at the top of this thread was usable and works fine.
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I was not sure whether the AX100E files on Asia, Australia, New Zealand would be identical to what would be release for UK/Europe. Additionally once you upgrade you cannot go back or re-flash the same ver no. (probably). Looks like it is the same firmware/features as the AX33.

Andy
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #48
Trustee

Sony's update software usually inspects the camera it is about to update and checks that it meets the proper requirements before it flashes it.

I dont believe its possible to flash the camera with the firmware it wasnt made for.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Anyone had a chance yet to determine the changes to autofocus, what exactly is supposed to be better? The version 2.0 was very good anyway.
Andy
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #50
Major Player

I have yet to see any noticeable improvement of the AF. There might have been but to me it's still impossible to tell after 2 days for shooting with the new FW. Even the face detection (tracking) is hard to tell. Overall I found the AF in the previous FW version 2.0 to be good enough.

One thing this FW sure does is make all your UHS-I U1 cards useless in the new 100Mbps 4K mode. It doesn't matter how the actual read/write speeds on your non-U3 cards are, the camera just rejects them. Now, it would take some time to find out if the 40Mbps gain is worth throwing away all the older cards and getting the newer ones.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #51
Inner Circle

I have no doubts that almost doubling the bit rate is worth quite a bunch of new cards...
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #52
Regular Crew

The main worry when firmware is updated is that some things get better and some may be worse. Focus is key to the overall quality of video and autofocus hunting drives me mad. I had a Sony XV1000 mini DV camcorder for ten years and the autofocus would just never keep still constantly flicking in and out. Luckily Sony included a quick auto button so you could leave it in manual and just push the button for quick autofocus.

There has been a lot of chat about the U3 cards and from Sony's point of view I can understand why they have made it U3 only. The designation of SD card speed is very confusing with class10, UHS-1, UHS-II , U1, U3 (where is U2?), SDHC, SDXC. Plus the fact that manufacturers only quote the highest figures they can obtain which of course turns out to be not representative of what you may actually achieve with your camera. Additionally the market is infiltrated with fake cards. I guess the reason they have gone U3 is at least there is a guarantee that U3 is 3x faster than U1 at 30MB/s.

So far I have only made 1 video since buying the AX100 this month, a visit to Aldbourne where 101 Airbourne were stationed just before D-Day, a lovely little village with Pub overlooking the green. The AX100 produced a pin sharp image in perfect focus for every shot so I am a bit nervous that ver 3.0 does not mess it up.
Andy
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #53
Major Player

Hi, I know there is a new firmware v3 for Sony AX100. I'd like to update my old v2 firmware but I don't know if I will get problems if I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SD XC I U1 classe 10 64GB.
In your opinion can I make that update? Are there improvements over v2?
Thanks
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
I updated; it seemed to go well. Already have a U3 card so it records at 100Mbps okay. Focus is better. Zoom seems better. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Is autofocus hunting improved with the new firmware? Thanks
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #55
Inner Circle

[QUOTE= I don't know if I will get problems if I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SD XC I U1 classe 10 64GB.[/QUOTE]

You will have no problems from the update, your old cards will work the same as they do now.
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #56
Major Player

Jeff,
I thank you for your news but I have read some time ago if you use U1 SD it is impossible to rec with 100 MB/s but AX100 recs with less MB/s. But I don't remember fine and I don't know if it is right.
Then I have read U1 SD you get this writings "please use memory cards UHS-I compatible U3". Is it true? Is this an annoying writings or you see it only when you put the SD into the slot?
Thanks to clear my ideas.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #57
Inner Circle

You didn't say you needed to record 100MB. For recording 100MB, I have no idea. Your old cards will still work the same as before, but I don't know which ones work for 100mb.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #58
Trustee

Andy - Welcome aboard!

That was a good post and I especially liked this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
There has been a lot of chat about the U3 cards and from Sony's point of view I can understand why they have made it U3 only. The designation of SD card speed is very confusing with class10, UHS-1, UHS-II , U1, U3 (where is U2?), SDHC, SDXC. Plus the fact that manufacturers only quote the highest figures they can obtain which of course turns out to be not representative of what you may actually achieve with your camera. Additionally the market is infiltrated with fake cards. I guess the reason they have gone U3 is at least there is a guarantee that U3 is 3x faster than U1 at 30MB/s.
This is one of my pet peeves: phony, fake, even grey market, items that are imported and then retailers sell, and the Governments seem to be unable or powerless to do anything to stop it. These phony and fake items not only hurt the consumer, they hurt the company who's good reputation is on the line, and they hurt the nations economy all the while boosting the economies of those countries who allow it to continue.

What is also bad, is the used market has these phony and fake items circulating around in it for years afterward so buyer beware.

For example, online there are posts about microphones where people knock a mic for not being any good, or comparison tests between mics, but who knows if the poster has a genuine or a fake one? Then, when it is posted as being bad or not very good, there are readers who can believe it. The company's reputation is tarnished and everything that goes along with that. Companies spend resources with their help desk and technical support trying to resolve problems.

In theory, the good part about companies improving their products is that forces the bootleggers to re-tool inorder to catch up. However, in the case of something like the iPhone, these guys have managed to find out about what the new phone is like and produce the fake one before the real one even hits the street!

And as for the memory card designations - it is difficult to keep up with all the class names and that was a good summary.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #59
Trustee

This Transcend UHS-3 card has been working for me: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044487-REG/transcend_ts128gsdu3_128gb_sdxc_uhs_i_u3_r95_w60mb_s.html
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I understand when you update you can then choose to record 4k at 60mbs or the new 100mbs. Does that mean you can still use your U1 cards in the 60mbs mode?
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds