Awesome news for canon users - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old March 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #376
Inner Circle

Page 11 in my manual has a section titled "Recording images from the camcorder to this unit". It's not intuitive that it would be in there but it gives a step by step.

I abbreviated it and added some more steps based on my experimentation that resulted in a reliable connection that worked with the A1.

The critical thing (in terms of getting the two devices talking) from my experiments was to power on the MRC1 BEFORE being a connected to a camera. It always came on and I could set the various modes I wanted. Then I connected the Firewire from the camera to the MRC1. Then I powered on the camera. It the camera power-on caused the MRC1 to go into computer mode, I went into the menu and selected HDV (if memory serves) and then it behaved itself.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #377
Go Cycle

Just change your setting to FOLLOW when using the HV-10 and you are in business. Works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barr View Post
I've tried everything I can think of since getting the MRC1K to make my A1 see it but nothing works. Different cables, everything advised to others on this thread, but it just doesn't see it, and I can't get into the iLink menu on the unit which seems to me like it can't see the A1 at all (it's greyed out).

I'm starting to think it might be the A1's firewire socket as I've seen many problems written about it on the net. I tried to dig in some footage to a MacBook Pro and it couldn't see it either so I'll try it with my Mac Pro tomorrow to see if it definitely is the socket.

I used the unit with a Canon HV10 and HV20 no problem but you don't get the 'synchro' control from the camera's stop/start button (is that right?). Just recording with the 2 REC buttons on the unit seems to work well so I'm assuming the unit is working???

Any advice greatly welcomed.

Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #378
Trustee

I tested my MRC1K with my friend's PD150 and it worked fine as long as Follow was selected.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #379
Regular Crew

Positive experiences with the MRC1k using the XH-A1

Hi there,
Reading so many negative posts about this combination I thought it would be nice to put my experiences here aswell, which are quite positive.

Received the MRC1K yesterday afternoon with 2 NP-F570 batteries and 2 Traxdata 32GB 233x cards (nice price, great performance).
Immediatly charged the two batteries and took everything with me (still in the box!) on a job to film a party that evening. After setting up the camera's I hooked the MRC1k on the XH-A1 (which we used on a tripod).

I took the known steps:
- XH-A1: turn DVControl ON
- Connect the MRC1K (with CF-card) and turn it on
- MRC1K: choose SYNCHRO

Everything worked immediately and for the whole evening (about 4 hours).
Things to whatch out for (at least for us). When the camera goes into standy mode and you start it again using the camera's rec button, the MRC1k will not start recording. So turn it back on using the standby button, wait, start recording using the camera's rec button again.

Performance of the Traxdata CF-cards are above expectation (considering the price, not the printed 233x speed). These cards are cheaper here in Europe than the Traxdata 32GB 133x, but write 1,5x till 2x as fast and read 3x till 4x as fast (benchmarking them).

Practical speed: 2 hours of m2t material took 15 minutes to transfer to my laptop.

Serialno. of my XH-A1: 574502300897 (bought in november 2007 in The Netherlands)
Sjoerd Banga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:38 AM   #380
New Boot

Another info from european Canon A1 models:

MRC1 works fine with serial 574452200223 (sold in Germany June 2007)
MRC1 doesn't work with serial 574432200656 (sold in Germany April 2007)

I once had success with switching the ...656 Cam in SD mode and then returning to HD mode: both resolutions worked with the MRC1. But next time it failed again (= Cam was recognized as PC)

Greetings
Burkhard
Burkhard Scheibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #381
Regular Crew

I purchased from Full Compass about a month ago. It was backordered, but it finally came in today.

I didn't even look at the manual, but remembered settings from this thread. After about 15 mins of playing with the unit, I got it working great in both normal and cache settings. Playback works great too! Tried different combination of turning the unit and the camera off/on and everything worked great!

My serial: 572322102997
Purchased...wow, um say March of 07. This is a US model.

I guess, now I can sell my Firestore FS-C! Also, there are some deals on SanDisk Extreme III 32gb cards if you don't mind waiting a month or two for a rebate.
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #382
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam La Prade View Post
I guess, now I can sell my Firestore FS-C! Also, there are some deals on SanDisk Extreme III 32gb cards if you don't mind waiting a month or two for a rebate.
I just ordered one from DABS for £101 a couple of days ago - now just waiting for them to actually receive stocks.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #383
Tourist

Anyone using this with CS4. I am loving the speed of capturing my clips, but they don't seem to keept the original time code from the camera. Is there a setting I am missing. Either in Premiere or on the recorder itself?

Thanks all
Chris
Chris MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #384
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Banga View Post
Hi there,
<cut> (bought in november 2007 in The Netherlands)
Sjoerd, can you tell me where you bought the MRC1 and at what price?
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #385
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris MacDonald View Post
Anyone using this with CS4. I am loving the speed of capturing my clips, but they don't seem to keept the original time code from the camera. Is there a setting I am missing. Either in Premiere or on the recorder itself?

Thanks all
Chris
Are you recording on tape at the same time? If so, the timecode on the MRC clips should match the timecode on the tape. If you are using cache mode, that won't happen. If you are recording occasionally on just the MRC then again the timecode may go haywire. These are the only explanations I've managed to come up with so far.
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM   #386
Tourist

My time code problem seems to be every clip starts it time code @ 0:00:00:00 so there is now way I reference back. I was hoping it would be able to keep going. Maybe it is a problem I have with CS4 will check it over the next couple of days. Cheers
Chris MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #387
Major Player

MRC1 and lanc control

For the most part, I've used the MRC1 as a remote control in terms of switching recording on and off - recording just to the card and not to tape. If I mount the unit on the camera or tripod, I get camera movement when I switch the unit on - rather annoying when using the cache mode and it leaves a distinct wobble in the footage.

If I use a lanc controller, the camera records to both tape and the MRC1. The disadvantage of this is that I often get the noise of the tape motor - really noticeable now that I've been recording onto card without this background noise. I don't always have the time to set up an external mic - wildlife isn't always inclined to hang around waiting for the cameraman to get set up!

So, is there a way of being able to control the camera with the lanc, but not recording to tape? If there isn't a tape in the deck, it doesn't record at all.
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #388
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
So, is there a way of being able to control the camera with the lanc, but not recording to tape? If there isn't a tape in the deck, it doesn't record at all.
The simple solution is to use a dedicated sound recorder, together with a decent microphone. There are many solid state recorders available from Tascam, Sony, Marantz, Edirol etc. Team it up with a Rode NTG2 and you will never look back.

ps I use the Sony PCM-D50 together with the Rode NTG 2 and the combination is superb

Sony PCM-D50
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #389
Major Player

Ah, but you don't know the recording conditions!

1) I am out for a walk with the camera. I see some wildlife that I may be able to record.

2) I set up the camera on a tripod, and record something to tape because I don't know if the wildlife will hang around.

3) I connect the MRC1, set on cache mode, so that I can turn the tape off, and if the wildlife does something interesting, I can record what I've missed thanks to the cache. The clips on the card are also more easily managed once I get back to the computer, so I don't feel the need to keep recording on tape, unless I want to make sure I have a back-up.

4) Meanwhile I'm also looking to see if there is a better viewpoint, and if so I clip to MRC1 to the tripod, and move the whole unit.

5) whether or not 4 has happened, I then start to get an external microphone set up.

I prefer not to touch the camera while recording, so use the lanc for focussing and zooming - but zooming this way is noisy, and records on the tape/card, even with the external mic. Or perhaps it's just noisy because I've got used to not having any camera sound if I can avoid it.

I do have an edirol R-09 HR, which I use mainly for voice notes, and a budget sennheiser microphone which I attach to the camera when possible. And a hot shoe shock mount is on my list of things to buy.

But I'm still after an answer to the question of whether or not it's possible to record onto the MRC1 without recording to tape when using just the lanc.
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #390
Trustee

Surely pressing the start button will only last for a matter of a few frames, that can be removed easily in any NLE application.

If sound is that important to your production, then a good off camera external shotgun microphone would be the ideal answer. Your Edirol recorder is an excellent unit which is capable of much higher quality recordings than the Canon built in mike.

Put the Rode NTG2 on your Christmas wish list.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders