Help poor low light performance HVR-V1e at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Help poor low light performance HVR-V1e

Hi

I recently got my hands on the HVR-V1e, I seem be getting a really noisey image in low light situations. Night time shots filming the christmas lights e.t.c and filming in doors.

The picture just isn't what I would expect. I know it's probably something that I'm doing wrong being fairly new to all this.

I've played with the gain, irus, exposure 1 and 2 with no luck. When looking at the view finder the image looks pretty good in the view finder, but when uploaded to my macbook it just isn't up to par.

Any help with settings e.t.c
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1...lkstilllm9.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4...lestillan1.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6...enstillsk4.jpg

Thanks
Terry Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Trustee

i think you'll find many threads here re low light capabilities. i have a v1p and compared to my pd170, it's a joke in low light. then again, i don't shoot low light scenes unless they're really necessary, and in which case, i'll add light one way or another.

i'm always surprised when people (including myself) expect a camera to shoot a black cat in a black room and have it look as if it was under the mid-day sun.

i've read the newer ex cameras are much better - but then again, adding light is infinitely better than trying to extract it when it isn't there....

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's not clear from your post whether you're using manual exposure control or not. The V1 makes beautiful video at up to 6db gain. 9db is frequently acceptable.

Higher than that is always objectionable, in my opinion.

Take a look at the tools from neatvideo.com. The samples I've seen over in the Vegas forum show astounding cleanup of gain-noise.

Sometimes video will look much better underexposed with black blacks than gained-up.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Terrell View Post
Hi

I recently got my hands on the HVR-V1e, I seem be getting a really noisey image in low light situations. Night time shots filming the christmas lights e.t.c and filming in doors.

[Thanks
If you haven't tried the following settings, try this; it is used by another V1E user on this forum.
Camera in manual mode with blacks compressed, knee high, cinegamma off (very important) but color gain up at 3, and gain no higher than +6. Also, shooting progressive 25p allows the use of 1/25th shutter speed without too much smear.

If it's still too dark, you need a light. There's no way around it, especially shooting High Def.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the info guys, i'll give it ago tomorrow evening and let yu know the results
Terry Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Test

Here is night shot out of the truck window using these night setting, I wanted to try them, still got some noise when darker.
Attached Thumbnails
Help poor low light performance HVR-V1e-nite-test.jpg  
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
If you haven't tried the following settings, try this; it is used by another V1E user on this forum.
Camera in manual mode with blacks compressed, knee high, cinegamma off (very important) but color gain up at 3, and gain no higher than +6. Also, shooting progressive 25p allows the use of 1/25th shutter speed without too much smear.

If it's still too dark, you need a light. There's no way around it, especially shooting High Def.
John, if by "another V1E user on this forum" you mean myself, I can confirm fully you got it right. Especially, I like the conclusion of yours: "if it's still too dark, you need a light". This is what I always kept saying; in fact I could only add: do not try to brighetn the reality, or you'll end up with lots of noise and resolution drop (especially in 25p). If it's dark, let you video be dark - use lighting to bring your subject out of the darkness in a creative way...
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I used Expo 1 setting for low light PLUS blacks compressed, knee high, cinegamma off gain up at +12. Never use 25p. Shuttle speed 50. Some shots if is dark just dark. Need light I used SONY Led light up the objects.
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for all the help guys. After playing with the settings I think I've finally cracked it.

http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ehvrv1eye2.jpg
Terry Terrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7