Century Optics 0HD-65CV-SH6 reviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Century Optics 0HD-65CV-SH6 reviews?

Can anyone offer any feedback on the Century Optics .65X Wide Angle adapter for the V1U/FX7? Has anyone seen any official reviews from other sites?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I second this question - got disappointed with the Sony wa converter. I was hoping that due to the mild coefficient, it'd not introduce too much of a barrel distorsion; unfortunately it's quite substantial. The 0.8x is not worth such a price in image distorsion. I can't wait for the comparison with the 0.65x Century/Schneider!
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Major Player

16X9 converter is good too...

Band Pro, the industry's favorite Sony store in the LA area sold me my V1 and also steered me toward the 16x9 7.0 WA converter. It is large, heavy and expensive but it seems to work very well, and they said it was the best available.

It has four elements and supposedly the best coatings. It doesn't give significant barrel distortion and seems quite bright and clear.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Ooops, .75

The hot 16x9 converter is actually the .75 which has the four elements to combat geometric distortion and chromatic aberration.

The .7 only has three elements.

Here's the link to the four element .75

http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169...2-son-z1u.html
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland View Post
Band Pro, the industry's favorite Sony store in the LA area sold me my V1 and also steered me toward the 16x9 7.0 WA converter. It is large, heavy and expensive but it seems to work very well, and they said it was the best available.

It has four elements and supposedly the best coatings. It doesn't give significant barrel distortion and seems quite bright and clear.

Tip
Tip have you actually now got that 16x9 lens?

interested in your practical experience with it if in fact you have purchased it.

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

OK, so before a screen grab is available with the 0.65x Century, I'm sharing a 10-sec clip of a scene (some of you guys will remember - yes, it's my garage), with and without the Sony "K" wa adaptor. Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38906697/V1_wa.m2t, or
http://rapidshare.com/files/38929728/V1_wa.m2t (shorter)

It's only 0.8x, but I'm satisfied. Apart from somewhat increased barrel distorsion, I haven't noticed any picture deterioration, and the lens hood is sooo nice!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 23rd, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Do the Century Optics or Raynox WA lenses come with hoods of any type? Or just a lens cap?
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Do the Century Optics or Raynox WA lenses come with hoods of any type? Or just a lens cap?
That's the point, Craig - just a lens cup! I'd gladly pay quite a bit more for the 0.65x Century, should it come with a hood similar to the Sony K wa!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Major Player

16x9 converter

Stu,

I do hvae it, and it seems to work very well. I bought it for a shoot requiring some very tight interiors and some inside-the-car stuff. The converter gave me no issues that I noticed, it was just like shooting without it only -- wider and heavier.

I didn't notice any barrel distortion to speak of with it. It seems to hold focus through the zoom. It is large, heavy and expensive, even the lens hood costs over $200 extra.

But the time I put that on and attach my Sony LED light, the V1 probably weighs as much as my XDCAM!

Tip
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Tip,

While I can't imagine a .65x wa converter not giving any barrel distorsion, I totally agree on your second point - the V1 with any wa conwverter plus the HVL-LBP really becomes heavy! So much so that - when using both my Sony "K" wa and the lamp - I'm putting the DR60 drive into my shirt pocket, and the lamp's battery - into my trousers' pocket, so that I don't add any unnecessarry weight to the camera, and my arm(s)...
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Not .65, but .75

Piotr,

You're probably right about the .65, but this one is only .75 and is very sophisticated with its four elements versus everything else three at most.

Anyway, it has very little barrel distortion, no doubt it has some. Next time I shoot with the camera I'll roll some footage with the converter on and post a frame grab at full wide with wall or ceiling edges or something usable for reference.

Tip
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #12
Major Player

I am returning my Century 6.5 WA. I've had it a few days and feel the distortion, meaning blurry edges and CA up the wazoo was just unacceptable to me. I have many other WA's from Century and this one is just not very good IMHO. It looked fine in the middle ranges of the zoom, but full wide (which is what we buy these for!) was very blurry at the edges, plus the Chromatic Abberation was really bad. I didn't shoot any charts, didn't need to.

Man, I had high hopes for it, but am definatley disappointed.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the report. Looks like I'll definitely go with the VCLHG0862K then and if I need extra coverage sometimes, I'll get the cheap Raynox with it.

I agree the lens hood is definitely a plus.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
Thanks for the report. Looks like I'll definitely go with the VCLHG0862K then and if I need extra coverage sometimes, I'll get the cheap Raynox with it.
That's exactly my plan too.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #15
Major Player

Guys,

let me tell you here again, the 6600 model of Raynox turned out to be pretty acceptable for me (considering also the price tag).
It is a 0.6 wa, nice sharp picture full wide. Don't try to zoom in, it is not designed for that. But wide has to be wide, right?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7