How do I switch Gain out of Auto mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I switch Gain out of Auto mode?

When I have the V1 in Camera mode and the Auto Lock set in the middle (manaul) position and I press the Gain button and say adjust it to 0dB when I press the Gain button again, the gain increments up to 18dB (I'm shoting in a dark room). There is an A icon to the left of the Gain reading on the LCD display, so some form of Auto mode is obviously enabled. But I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't press the gain button again. Doing so puts it back into auto mode.

After you adjust the gain to your liking, slide the AUTO LOCK switch to HOLD.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OK but what if I also wanted to alter some other settings like the exposure and frame rate. Wont the Auto Gain just jump in once I switch over to their buttons?
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Not unless you put the setting back on AUTO by pushing its button a second time or sliding the AUTO LOCK switch to AUTO.

For any/all settings, you slide the AUTO LOCK switch to the middle. Then you press the button for whatever you want to adjust (GAIN, SHUTTER SPEED [not frame rate], and/or IRIS). Adjust any or all as desired. Slide the switch to HOLD to lock these settings in or do nothing to leave them adjustable by you. The only time they will go back to AUTO is if you hit their individual buttons again or slide the switch back to AUTO.

This is all on pp 34-36 of the V1U manual, 40-42 of the V1E manual.

Last edited by Adam Gold; December 23rd, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thx Adam that really helps. I do find the Sony manual written in that usall verbose translated style and it has never clearly stated that you must not press the button again after you adjust the value. Thanks you for spelling it out for me :-)
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah, Sony isn't well known for the quality of the writing in their manuals. It's all there but you gotta dig pretty hard.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7