Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #301
Trustee

Has Sony made the manual available yet? Among other things, I'm curious if the VG10 has peaking and zebras?
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #302
Trustee

I haven't heard of the manual being available yet, but I have definitely gathered from the European reviews that there is no peaking or zebras.
The VG10 seems to be configured more in line with a consumer camera, with little in the way of pro features aside from some manual exposure and focus controls.
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #303
New Boot

In your opinion, is it worth $2000?
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #304
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Blake View Post
In your opinion, is it worth $2000?
Who are you asking? The camera isn't even out yet, how can someone give a serious opinion?

If you want mine, based upon never having seen one, much less handled one - yes. It is to me.

Why do I say so? Because it is the first camcorder - not DSLR, but a true camcorder - that offers a very large sensor, interchangeable lenses, the ability to give very sharp depth of field, good nat sound audio, cheap media storage, etc.
I can see this camera filling a nice niche for me professionally, and personally. I could put this camera to work immediately. It may be marketed as a consumer camera, but I will use it to generate income. Plus, I can use it for personal projects, short films, etc. I cannot wait to play with that shallow DoF.

However, none of us can know for sure until we get real world, hands-on experience with it.
So, your opinion on its worth is as good as anyone's.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #305
New Boot

I was asking anyone that knows more than i. lol which is probably most of you. Just all the reviews i have read about it, says it falls short of expectations. It's in my price range, but i am worried that something will come out a few months later that will be superior. I can only afford one camera like this a year. I understand that no one will know really the truth about it till hands on. the reviews i have read have been by professionals that have had a chance to try it out. None of those were very positive, but maybe they were expecting too much.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #306
Major Player

It's not a professional camera; so don't expect positive reviews from professionals, and I don't mean that as a slur on professionals or this camera. It has several limitations that will turn off many - particularly pros - but then so do DSLRs.

Something better will come out - maybe even from Sony - sometime in the next few years, but if your time frame is a year, thats not so certain. In the short term, Panasonic has a big sensor camera coming that will probably be two or three times the price of this. Canon may have a new DSLR coming out soon, the Nikon has the D3100 which appears to have 1080p support.

What do you want to do with this (or other) camera?

Last edited by Michael Murie; August 15th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #307
Space Hipster

All the reviews I've seen - and there are very few, or in another language with poor translations - seem to like it. It's not the be-all, end-all of video cameras, but for 2 grand, what can you expect? The images look very nice, from what I've seen.

As far as it being your only camera, that depends on what you need it for. If you need to record audio, I'd go for a more dedicated prosumer video camera with XLR inputs. If depth of field is more important, there is nothing in its price range that can match it, DSLRs excepted.
For me, it will be my b-camera, for particular shoots when I want that shallow DoF. it will not replace my big camera, but it will be nice to have along on a shoot. I can see using this camera as the main camera for a b-roll only shoot, though. Assuming th codec is robust enough for broadcast.

One thing that does irritate me on some of the reviews, or people posting about the camera, is their complaint about the lack of a motorized zoom. It uses DSLR lenses, people! DLSR don't need power zooms! The people who use DSLRs for video capture seem to work around this. I swear, some people forget where this camera comes from. If they want power zooms, buy another dedicated video camcorder. Do like the majority of film shoots and learn to work with different lenses and drop the zoom shots.
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #308
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murie View Post
It's not a professional camera; so don't expect positive reviews from professionals, and I don't mean that as a slur on professionals or this camera. It has several limitations that will turn off many - particularly pros - but then so do DSLRs.

Something better will come out - maybe even from Sony - sometime in the next few years, but if your time frame is a year, thats not so certain. In the short term, Panasonic has a big sensor camera coming that will probably be two or three times the price of this. Canon may have a new DSLR coming out soon, the Nikon has the D3100 which appears to have 1080p support.

What do you want to do with this (or other) camera?
I do alot of live action paintball games( i work at a paintball store). I would also like to do promotions for the store. I would like to try small short films, or maybe a music video for a friend's band. I'm truely a hobbyist, i don't plan on doing it for a living. I just want it to look at as good as possible.
I have a Canon hv30 now. i was about to purchase a dof adapter and lens for it till i heard about the nex-vg10.
Thanks for the advice by the way.
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #309
Inner Circle

Glen's comments are spot on, you have to look at this camera for what it IS, the first "crossover" camera that comes at the equation from the VIDEO side of the field. Crossover meaning a camera that can do both video and still relatively well, and has a "large sensor", with the corresponding capabilities and limitations.

If you want DoF, this might be your camera... but do you always want or need that? If you are considering a DSLR-V, but want a more "video cam" form factor this IS your camera. If you want a dedicated still camera that also does video as an add-on, you might go a different way...

FWIW, Sony will be maiking some big announcements shortly (Aug 24 seems to be the "day"), including Alpha bodies with video, two of which appear to be "regular" SLR's, and two which may be a completely new approach, with the video capability being emphasized.

As I'm looking to upgrade a couple A bodies, I'm waiting patiently... then the choice will be harder, with more options, but maybe just maybe a "winner" will emerge for what I am looking to achieve (just about the same thing Glen is, a "b" cam for DoF type shots).

IMO, the VG10 is "worth" the price of admission, and I'll be watching to pick one up secondhand most likely, as that's how I make "new toys" affordable! I've been tempted by the NEX5, but just can't accept the limitations, the VG10 looks more promising, but that may change in a few days, as I've already got the equivalent lenses to the VG10's 18-200 E lens (and some other very sweet old glass), but in A mount... so an "A" body may emerge that works for me, both budget and practicality wise. I'm prepared already for the DSLR form factor issues.

Frankly, my CX550V's are still about the best "all round" shooter I've got for the price, and are turning out to be a well balanced camera overall, though I have other cameras for "stills".
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #310
Trustee

I will be interested to read the reviews on the VG10 after it is released. In particular I would like to know how its codec compares to the current crop of DSLR cameras.
Old August 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #311
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
One thing that does irritate me on some of the reviews, or people posting about the camera, is their complaint about the lack of a motorized zoom. It uses DSLR lenses, people! DLSR don't need power zooms!
Please don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you - for right now.

My point would be, as both DSLR and camcorder merge close enough to share lens mounts and lenses, is it impossible to imagine new lenses being released that also support a power zoom function?

Last edited by Bill Koehler; August 15th, 2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: briefer is better
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #312
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Blake View Post
I was asking anyone that knows more than i. lol which is probably most of you. Just all the reviews i have read about it, says it falls short of expectations. It's in my price range, but i am worried that something will come out a few months later that will be superior. I can only afford one camera like this a year. I understand that no one will know really the truth about it till hands on. the reviews i have read have been by professionals that have had a chance to try it out. None of those were very positive, but maybe they were expecting too much.
Some very good points have been make in the above posts.
A key consideration is if the VG10's unique features (primarily shallow depth of field, interchangable lenses) are specific features that you need to do the sort of work you are planning. One drawback to shallow DOF is the need to constantly be on the money with the focus. If you are doing a narrative film, it's not such a problem. If you are doing run n' gun ENG type of shooting (maybe paintball mayhem??), it could be an actual drawback.
The word that has leaked from Sony is that they do, in fact, plan on announcing a more pro version of this camera by year's end.
Reference has been made to the Sony CX550 as being a super all around camera. I have one and completely agree with that assesment.
So, just because the VG10 is the newest in the Sony line up doesn't necessarily mean it is the "best" for all shooters, or all situations. A certain crowd has gone nuts over big chip DSLR video. This camera is aimed squarely at them. If you are in that group, it will be your cup of tea. And if you need more pro features, it sounds like that wish will be fulfilled pretty soon too :)
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #313
Space Hipster

Does anyone have any links to these rumors of new Sony cameras? That news is very intriguing.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #314
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young
The word that has leaked from Sony is that they do, in fact, plan on announcing a more pro version of this camera by year's end.
When they announced the camera I pretty much assumed there was a 50/50 chance that a "professional" version - probably with XLR jacks and a few more controls - would follow soon after. But to have someone say there'll be something by years end....oh no!.now I'm conflicted!!
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #315
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Please don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you - for right now.

My point would be, as both DSLR and camcorder merge close enough to share lens mounts and lenses, is it impossible to imagine new lenses being released that also support a power zoom function?
Sure, there might be lenses like that one day. But to complain about a camera not having a lens that doesn't even exist is ludicrous. Might as well complain your new car can't fly.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900