DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   User-installable firmware upgrade for NX5! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/479113-user-installable-firmware-upgrade-nx5.html)

Adam Welz May 21st, 2010 08:09 AM

User-installable firmware upgrade for NX5!

Hi All

just got an email from Sony saying that a user-installable firmware upgrade is available -- so, if you've been having buffer overflow grief with your NX5, you no longer need to send it in to Sony for a firmware upgrade, they can email a file to you and you can install it according to their instructions.

You will need a reliable power supply.

Cheers

Adam

John Vasey May 21st, 2010 09:38 AM

Sony contact info...

Hi, Adam...

What would be the proper way to contact Sony to get them to email us the firmware update? Do we just call the tech support number? Or is there a specific email address? And is this firmware update installable by both PC and Mac computers? I'm wondering if Sony will say that if you elect to do this option (the user performing the firmware upgrade themselves) if it will also void the warranty if something goes wrong.

I would love to install it myself as long as I'm not putting the warranty at risk.

Thanks, John

Adam Welz May 21st, 2010 09:45 AM

Hi John

I guess calling one of the Pro Service Centers, like the one in Teaneck NJ, would be a good start.

I got the offer direct from someone at Sony, and until I get his permission, I'll not be posting his details to the web.

Let the forum know how you get along.

Best

Adam

Steve Kass May 21st, 2010 11:10 AM

Can we E-Mail Sony support to get the firmware update?

Ryan Douthit May 21st, 2010 11:54 AM

Here's an official reply from the LA Repair Center:

"The software upgrade is now available and should be ready for download by next week sometime. I will let you know as soon as I get the URL for the download."

Tom Hardwick May 21st, 2010 01:45 PM

I've got an NX5 but how would I know if I had 'buffer overflow grief'?

Mark Goldberg May 22nd, 2010 05:38 AM

Just got my NX5 on Thursday. I took am following this issue, and very much appreciate Adam's description of the buffer issue in another forum. I am extremely thankful that technology is at the place where downloadable firmware upgrades can address the type of problems that used to require the gear to be shipped back!

Joe Goldsberry May 22nd, 2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1529747)
I've got an NX5 but how would I know if I had 'buffer overflow grief'?

You'll know when it happens. You get a buffer overflow error message on the screen or viewfinder, and the unit won't record.

Joe

Tom Hardwick May 22nd, 2010 07:59 AM

Whooh! Thanks Joe. But this only happens if you're recording to card and 128 memory module at the same time?

Joe Goldsberry May 22nd, 2010 05:49 PM

I think so. I've been using just the flash drive only and have had no problems.

Joe

Olakunle Olanrewaju May 23rd, 2010 02:23 AM

I will like to know where and when the update is available for download

Cristian Adrian Olariu May 24th, 2010 04:48 PM

new firmware

1 Attachment(s)
Unofficially there is a firmware upgrade already available, but i don't think anybody will risk to install it until we'll know for sure it's the real deal.
Here's the instructions.

Olakunle Olanrewaju May 24th, 2010 04:52 PM

Thanks cristian

Joe Goldsberry May 24th, 2010 07:18 PM

That's good news for PC users, what about us Mac users?

Joe

Allan Phan May 25th, 2010 05:04 AM

Folks,

I haven’t encountered the buffer issue yet but will I need to update the firmware regardless?

Thanks
Allan