Mike Beckett's NX70 owner's report - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 20th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Mike Beckett's NX70 owner's report

I am uploading the correct file of the Grass blowing in the wind and will correct my post when it is done.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I have corrected the file reference to the 60P file on Vimeo.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #48
New Boot

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but can you control gain, shutter, exposure at the same time?
Do you know if low light is better than my MC50?

Thanks
c
Chris Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #49
Trustee

Chris,

I am unable to compare it to the MC50.

You can assign the iris to the ring on the lens barrel. To control gain and shutter you can use "my buttons" (aka shortcuts) you can define for the touchscreen. So you tap the screen, tap the shutter icon, change your setting, then tap OK, then repeat for gain. They are independently controlled, and if you switch the camera to manual mode you can adjust them individually or have one or more of them set to auto if you prefer.

It's pretty fast in practice, it's a well-designed menu system, but gain and shutter cannot be assigned to physical buttons on the camera.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Just a query for Mike Beckett. I have had an HVR-A1P for some years here in New Zealand, and it was a great peice of kit. However I have decided to replace it, and have ordered a HXR-NX70P. One of my biggest beefs with the A1P was it had no ND filter built in. The sun here can be quite harsh and I overcame this by removing the standard hood and fitting a stepup ring and ND4 filter with a rubber hood. This worked well but lost the use of the standard hood. So I was interested to see you apparrently managed to fit a filter to the filter thread between the hood and the lens if I understand correctly? This was not possible on the A1P as it had locating fingers so the hood stayed horizontal. Can you confirm this is now changed on the NX70. Am really looking forward to the new cam which should arrive early July. One final thing can you post a still photo from the cam photo mode of say a house or something to judge detail, cheers.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #51
Trustee

Hi Warren,

Yes, I can confirm I fitted a standard B+W UV 37mm filter under the hood - not a slimline filter. I have also tried a Tiffen ND filter. They both fit fine, with a little room to spare. You just about can see it in some of my photos. I think there's only space for 1 filter at a time, unless you get slim filters (which I haven't seen for 37mm filter threaded cameras).

I'm waiting for a 37mm variable ND to be released (promised in mid July) and will report on that when it arrives.

I'll try to remember to post some photos of this later.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:10 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Thanks for your prompt reply, just makes the wait to get the camera even more painful!!!
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM   #53
Trustee

This might be of interest:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...ml#post1663822

My experiment with the NX70 and the Vinten Vision Blue. Hurrah!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #54
Trustee

Warren,

I forgot about the filter pics. It's actaully kind of hard to take a useful photo of the filter inside the hood, but I tried!
Attached Thumbnails
Mike Beckett's NX70 owner's report-p1030739.jpg   Mike Beckett's NX70 owner's report-p1030745.jpg  

Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders