One Summer Evening with the FS700 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: One Summer Evening with the FS700

I think in most cases the time limit will be far more favorable to the work in post that twixtor requires. More likely you will find you rarely need up to the full limit since things you want to see in slow motion tend to happen quite quickly and you will want to keep down your buffer offload times.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
To be clear, though, it sounds like we could record 240fps and still get 120fps frame decimated footage out to a non-3g recorder like the hyperdeck shuttle 2 or other device? This would be done by setting our recording format to 30p (since 60p requires 3g) and when writing out the buffer every other frame is still played out of hdmi/hd-sdi. Can someone confirm this?
I don't have the FS700 (yet), but Alister Chapman confirmed this on the same question when I asked it before. So the answer is yes.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
Twixtor'ed 60p:
Pro: Looks pretty good if you're shooting subjects that are interacting with low/no-detail backgrounds, allows simulation of very high overcranking
Con: Edge artifacting in most normal situations with significant motion, long render times, lots of time and tweaking required for each shot for optimal results which is still always inferior to real overcranked footage

FS700
Pro: No interpolated edge artifacts, no extra hours of plugin tweaking and rendering to get an inferior result, can playback on set to see and evaluate footage
Con: Costs more than twixtor, burst time limits

There is no replacement for actually shooting high framerates.
These are not the only reasons to shoot high framerates.
Some organic movements are very hard to interpolate; the software just doesn't know how something like different hairs of a longhaired girl running towards the camera on a windy day move.
I tried this in december: most of the time it looks weird and fake. Only in one shot it was ok.
(And not thanks to Twixtor, but the standard options in AE.)

Or how thrown water splashed as it 'explodes' on a detailed object: it just yields distorted footage. (Which can be funny... lol)

Shooting high framerates wins in my opinion as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta