HC1000 -- various questions - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:08 PM   #61
Wrangler

Hi Jay and welcome to DVinfo! What is the price for the HC-1000? We have discussed it here on and off, and it seems to have its plusses and minuses. Just off the top of my head....

GOOD:
Real, high quality 16:9
Nice form factor

BAD:
Manual controls moved to touchscreen
LCD panel smaller than TRV-950/PDX-10
Uses small internal battery

Steve Finton is the only regular around here that I know who has an HC-1000. Maybe he'll offer an opinion. Here are some of his posts:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=68476
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
GOOD:
Real, high quality 16:9
Nice form factor

BAD:
Manual controls moved to touchscreen
LCD panel smaller than TRV-950/PDX-10
Uses small internal battery
It is also a 1-CCD camera, right?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:18 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
It is also a 1-CCD camera, right?

Carlos
I think the hc1000 has the same or similar ccd's as the pdx-10
The footage this camera will take should be fantastic.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM   #64
Wrangler

The HC-1000 has the same three 1/4.7" CCD's and optics as the TRV-950 and PDX-10. It improved over the TRV-950 by offering the same hi-res 16:9 mode as the PDX-10 (the TRV-950 was intentionally crippled in firmware to produce lower quality 16:9). This was a step in the right direction, but unfortunately Sony made the HC-1000 more "consumery" with an internal battery of limited capacity, a smaller touchscreen, and elimation of physical controls.

Here's some more info from B&H's website, their current price is $1,400. Jay, if you can buy one in "like new" condition for $900 (as you suggest) then it might be worth considering as long as this limitations don't bother you.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Flickering/shimmering/spiraling problems w new HC1000

I just purchased a HC1000 after tons of research.

First day out...videotaped a scene on local boardwalk along the bay.

When came back, found that there was a distracting spiral effect throughout.

It looks something like old-fashioned barbershop poles.

Colors--distinct pink/purplish hue. Other color--bluish, green.

It's primary found on thin vertical objects...especially poles--like sign and lamp posts along the boardwalk, the ships' masts. Plus other vertical segments. Not just on boardwalk...but on store fronts.

(Tried it out in another location (ocean scene) no problem. Tried again two days later, same problem. Called Sony. Sony recommended resetting camera. That didn't help at all.)

At first I thought it was on the places where sunlight most shined. But...not sure. It seems like it's where there's a streak of light along a darker area...like where there's a lamp post that is reflecting light...but is dark in color.

I'm very concerned because I have not read about the problem on various forums. So, I don't know if it's the result of a defective camera that needs to be returned or fixed. Or is there some principle at work...that requires adjustment...when shooting, composing shot, settings, editing, or other.

On another forum, I was asked how I was viewing. Below are more details. The flickering appeared on all my TV monitors. Plus when outputting from computer program (after capturing/saving clip) to TV set.

I've tried making adjustments with editing program (Premiere)...but so far no success.

I would GREATLY!!! appreciate any ideas on how to best proceed. I have about one more day left when I may be able to return to dealer. Then, it's a question of sending it back to Sony. So, that's why I hope others may share their experiences...ideas...on solutions.

THANKS in advance for any suggestions/insights.

Sandra

VIEWED ON

9" Panasonic PV-C921...flickering.
14 inch TV--same problem
Professional level monitor (JVC TM 55OU)--limited problem.
Computer screen (IBM P50)--some flickering...but not distracting.

WHEN OUTPUT segment from computer (Premiere) to TV, it also showed same level of flickering.
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #66
Wrangler

I know it's a drag with a brand new camera, but send it back, either for replacement or repair depending on the policy of your vendor. I can't think of any reason why you would have this problem with a good camera.

Just one other test you might try to localize the problem. Connect the camera to your computer via firewire and catch/capture as you film a little. Do you see the same problem on the direct firewire connection as you see on the tape that's recorded? This might narrow it down to a problem with the tape transport or even the tapes themselves.
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #67
Trustee

Sorry, got confused with HC1, which is a 1-CCD/CMOS HDV camera.

When I bought my PDX10 at B&H I also evaluated the HC1000, but it was not as good for handling or solid looking as the PDX10.

The only one who challenged the PDX10 was the Panasonic DVC30, but it had inferior 16:9 and no XLRs at that price range.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #68
Regular Crew

THANKS!!!! Boyd for taking time to consider my problem.

I believe I've made every reasonable effort to find a solution.

But...you know how it is...was reluctant to take the step of returning it.

But...this morning...reached the decision...that probably what I needed to do was exchange it...but still felt a little uncertain.

Your entry helped to give me the extra certainty and confidence.

So, that's exactly what I've proceeded to do. I called the store...and have started the process of returning/exchanging it. I know it helped when I spoke with the store representative..that I sounded certain about my decision.

I tend to be wishy...then washy.

Your entry really helped! So....much appreciation!!!

Sandra Warshaw

Last edited by Sandra Warshaw; July 25th, 2005 at 12:51 PM.
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #69
Tourist

To Hc1000 Or Not To Hc1000,

Thank you very much to all those who responded. I feel much better about going forward and picking up the camera.

Jay
Jay Donalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Boyd often has good advice. Sending it back is the safe way to go.
Jeff S Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #71
Major Player

I just had a guy, that's been in the broadcast business for 30 years, borrow one of my HC1000s for a film that he will be working on until saturday. He usually uses an XL1 but I recently filmed a short with some friends of mine and he seemed to be impressed enough by the image quality to lay his XL1 aside. It made me feel good because we've always been borrowing equipment from him.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #72
Tourist

To Hc1000 Or Not To Hc1000, That Is The Question

Again, thanks to all but I have to give special thanks to Mr.Finton. That's the kinda stuff I'm trying to hear. Keep it come'n ya'll, more REAL WORLD STORIES about the HC1000 good or bad.

Jay
Jay Donalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #73
Inner Circle

It's the internal battery that kills this camera stone dead for me. Panasonic made the same design error with their DX100 back in 1998, though they corrected this when the replacement MX300 came out. So how could Sony fall into the same trap?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
It's the internal battery that kills this camera stone dead for me. Panasonic made the same design error with their DX100 back in 1998, though they corrected this when the replacement MX300 came out. So how could Sony fall into the same trap?

tom.
The F-Type battery that is used was for MicroMV cameras, initially. Nobody bought a MicroMV that I know of so SONY's got all these batteries laying around. From handling the camera, I don't think an external battery would have thrown off its balance.

I get 135mins with the LCD open and I've heard people say that the Panasonic GS400 DU21 battery only lasts up to 90mins with the LCD open. I think that the LCD itself has something to do with the power drain difference. The GS400 has a 3.5' and the HC1000 has a 2.5".
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Warranty Issues for Sony HC1000

Hi Jay,

I was considering purchasing a brand new/factory sealed HC1000 (at a lesser price) over e-bay from sellers that look dependable. One even offered a money-back guarantee.

So, will share some information that influenced my decision.

I spoke with SONY twice and was informed...

The warranty ONLY applies to SONY cameras purchased from a dealer.
The Warranty is confusing...and seems to imply it would apply to a second owner. But they were ADAMANT that it will not. (I think it's the "as is" part of the warranty that means it won't apply to second buyers.)

Plus, MACK WARRANTY can only be purchased for a camera bought from a dealer. But, (go figure), you can have an already-purchased MACK WARRANTY transferred to a second buyer...for a fee.

I know it's a BIG difference in price...and the $900 model may be problem-free.

Realize there are always a lot of factors that go into a decision...

Also not sure if this info applies to your situation...or if the purchase has been made. But wanted to share it...in case helpful.

Good luck with your HC1000. I look forward to hearing how you like it.

Sandra

PS. As you might have read...mine did arrive with problems. So far, B&H has been great about exchanging it. At least...it's on its way back to them...even as we speak. I'll keep you posted. AND...I'm assuming you'll have better luck getting a good camera. So, not intending to burst your bubble... AND I TOTALLY understand if it works better to purchase the $900 model.
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion