DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Which XLR Adaptor is Best with VX2100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/25963-xlr-adaptor-best-vx2100.html)

Mason Productions December 7th, 2001 01:10 PM

xlr adaptor cable for pd 150

Can anyone tell me if I need dc filtering in my cable from the camera to the mini jack on my azden wireless pro reciever?

Can this even work? I was told that you can't have an unbalanced signal go to a balanced input. Can anyone enlighten me on this and does it have anything to do with a single mono xlr input that records on the left and right camcorder channels.

I'm not sure what kind of adaptor I need, any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Doug

Chuck Eichmeyer February 21st, 2002 12:35 PM

xlr adapters

Anyone have any pros/cons or experience to help me decide which XLR adapter to purchase for my Sony VX2000. Studio 1 XLR-Pro or the Beachtek. I'v checked both web sites for major differences but I have no field experience to apply in making my decision. Any help will be appreciated.

Wayde Gardner February 21st, 2002 12:55 PM

Happy as a clam with my Beachtek (also on a VX2000)

Look on eBay as I picked up a clean and dependable unit for 65.00.

I've also heard praises for the Studio 1. Either unit is a winner.

smartydraaws February 22nd, 2002 11:04 AM

i think both are great... i got the studio 1... mostly because i called them and the guy who owns the company is REALLY helpful and is VERY honest... he answered all my questions (ie i am a beginner).

hope this helps,

william

Chuck Eichmeyer March 18th, 2002 12:24 PM

Hissing sound with the Studio 1 XLR Adapter

Can someone clear up the topic of the hum or hiss one gets using the XLR adapters and the VX2000 when using the power supply? I have read posts that this does not happen when using the battery. I've read other posts that it's a crap shoot if you will get a hum/hiss or not. I'm looking at mixing two mike systems with the Studio 1 but I can't afford to buy and find out later it only works with battery power and not with AC. Thanks

smartydraaws March 19th, 2002 11:27 AM

i have the studio 1 adapter and it works great with the battery... basically you have to buy the f960 battery... it lasts forever... i got mine from b&h for about 100 bucks...

i always get a hum with the ac power, but i think ac power is worthless anyway (unless you're charging your battery ;)

william

combatvideo March 21st, 2002 02:06 PM

Studio 1 XLR and VX2000

I use a Studio 1 XLR Pro adaptor, and I have absolutely no hiss problem. However, I have never had a hiss problem with my camera, which was manufactured in Jan 2002. I think the XLR Pro by studio 1 is great.

Aaron Koolen April 17th, 2002 05:19 AM

Is a VX2000 + XLR addon pretty much a PD150?

Hi all. Been thinking about what camera to get and was choosing between a PD150 and Xl1s until I thought about all the extras I'd need after that, but with no money left in the bank after the camera was bought ;) So I thought I'd get something a bit cheaper and am looking now at the XM1 (GL1) and possibly the VX2000. From what I understand there are only 3 real differences between the VX2000 and PD150 and they are

DVCAM on Pd150
XLR inputs standard on PD150
And on board mics slightly different.
- Oh, and colour..

The optics as I understand are identical. Now if I don't need the DVCAM should I just get a VX2000 and something like a Beechtek (sp?) XLR adapter and be sweet. (I assume the beechtek is cheaper that the difference in the cameras)

Cheers
Aaron "going mad deciding on a camera" Koolen

Adrian Douglas April 17th, 2002 06:52 AM

As far as I know, you're pretty much on the money.

The Beechtek will set you back about $400 in NZ. Considering the price difference between the PD and the VX is close to $2000 it would be a good way to go.

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2002 08:06 AM

I agree -- unless you absolutely need DVCAM, I think the VX2000 is the way to go... unless you can't stand the silver body color.

;-)

Don Donatello April 17th, 2002 10:35 AM

the BIG difference you have forgot is the PD150 has much BETTER audio electronic's. if you remember there was a HISS problem on the vx2000 and pd150. sony fixed the pd150 adn NOT the vx2000 because the 2000 is a consumer camera.

i have used the vx 2000 in AGC mode with a studio 1 XLR box and the audio was fine. HOWEVER in manual mode i found the audio NOT acceptable as there was too much hiss ....

marina*** April 17th, 2002 12:02 PM

After spending several days researching this very same question, here is what seems to be an important difference that many people point out (and I was able to prove it for myself, by comparing the VX2000 and PD150):
the audio recorded on a VX2000 often has a slight hissing sound. The hiss is more noticeable when you switch the audio gain into manual, but it is also there when in auto (some say it is less noticeable in auto). The hiss can be noticed only when using good quality headphones/speakers.

The PD150s originally had the same hiss problem, but Sony has fixed it since then, and apparently units with serial number roughly after 1003300 are free of the hiss problem (see http://www.dvinfo.net/vx2000.htm - Dan Ballmer's review of the PD150 ).

That said, it depends on how crucial audio quality is in your work. I used to have a VX2000 with a Beechtek adapter like the one you mentioned, and did not notice the hiss until I compared the audio with the one on PD150: the PD150 is so much "cleaner"-sounding, with no hiss. The hiss on the VX2000 is barely noticeable (although I wonder if that depends on the particular camera).

To me, the main advantage of the PD150 seems its superior audio quality, as well as ability to connect external mikes straight to the camera.

Other advantages worth considering are:
-ability to record both in DVCAM and miniDV (and DVCAM makes a difference especially if you are planning to edit linear, as miniDV does not lock audio and video tracks together);
-black&white viewfinder (and color LCD display);
-ability to set and record timecode;
-more manual controls (gain is separate from iris);
-ability to monitor/adjust audio levels separately for each channel (Note: as I understand, the on-board mike on a PD150 is not stereo, as opposed to a VX2000 - but you can record onto both channels with it);
-built-in wind protection (selectable in the menu for each audio channel).

There are probably other advantages as well.

All that said, I think the VX2000 is still a good camera, especially if your budget does not permit to get a PD150. Good luck with making a choice!

Lou Bruno April 17th, 2002 06:55 PM

Don't forget that you can also seperate the DB gain from the Iris with the PD-150. More camera control.

If audio and the DVCAM function is not a problem, go with the VX2000.

Now for my personal evaluation:

I find that both the DSR-250 and the PD150 suffer a peculiar problem which the VX2000 resolves as it relates to white balance.

That issue is the color viewfinder on the VX2000 being a godsend due to rapid color temperature variations

These conditions can even change from one side of a room to the next-depending on mixed lighting etc.. I never found WB changes as pronounced than with these camera's.
I can notice any color shift promptly and make the proper color adjustment or re-white balance.

Lou Bruno

Brad Simmons April 27th, 2002 10:40 AM

I have the beachtek and I couldn't be happier.

madeline May 9th, 2002 09:06 PM

This is off sony's site:

DCR-VX2000/E Audio Recording Information:

It has recently come to our attention that some purchasers of the Sony DCR-VX2000 camcorder have had questions about audio recording. We thought it might be helpful to clarify the use of the manual and automatic gain controls.

" The Sony DCR-VX2000/E camcorder features a newly developed AGC audio level control circuit, optimized to handle the large Dynamic Range of Digital Audio. Design emphasis was given to the task of achieving a significant improvement in Signal to Noise ratio, and to greatly enhance camera audio recording quality.

Manual Audio level adjustment does not utilize the new AGC circuit. Manual Audio control is primarily provided for extremely loud and limiting sound environments. The conventional Manual Audio Level is comparable to Signal to Noise ratio values commonly found in Sony's comparable consumer digital camcorders. A difference in Signal to Noise Ratio levels between Manual and AGC modes of operation is normal and expected in DCR-VX2000/E.

Evaluation of Audio Signal to Noise should not be performed using earphone / headphone output. The earphone / headphone amplifier circuit has been equalized to emphasize high frequencies and is intended to be of "monitoring" quality. Furthermore, the earphone / headphone audio may not accurately represent record level audio since the earphone / headphone level can be varied using the volume +/- buttons near the LCD screen. Audio Signal to Noise evaluation should more properly be performed by playing back recorded tapes on a studio VTR."