EX1 vibrating, buzzing, picture severely blurred at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 vibrating, buzzing, picture severely blurred

The EX1 is about three weeks old. While looking at each of the gamma profiles with a DSC labs chart and a waveform monitor my EX1 started making a mild buzzing noise.

I noticed vibration when I touched the mic/control panel module. The picture is now badly blurred vertically and moving up and down in a random pattern.

The EX1 is mounted on a Sachtler 20 tripod, locked down on the charts. No error messages, no blinking tally light, no buzzer.

Image stabilization is OFF, I have tried changing zoom, focus, macro, i/p settings, camera OFF - restart, Reset All - no change.

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 vibrating, buzzing, picture severely blurred-blur-vibration.jpg  

Last edited by George Strother; May 28th, 2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Add info
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #2

sounds like a failure in the IS system
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Major Player

My thought too, but the IS is turned OFF. Software switch may have also failed I suppose.

Still waiting to hear back from Sony Support, they sent me to voice mail a couple of hours ago.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Just got a call from Sony Support. It needs to go to Sony Service. Support had nothing to try beyond reset, which didn't help.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Radio Frequency

Sometimes I would get a similar issue with my old VX series Sony cams and it turned out that my cell or other cell phones that were close enough to the cam would make it buzz and create major tape issues. Is it constant?
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
Sometimes I would get a similar issue with my old VX series Sony cams and it turned out that my cell or other cell phones that were close enough to the cam would make it buzz and create major tape issues. Is it constant?
This problem is constant and the picture bluring is severe. The JPEG is a still from a short clip recorded while the camera was on a locked Sachtler 20 tripod.
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Major Player

I just talked to Sony service. They say the camera worked normally when they received it (why do cameras get well on UPS trucks?) but they left it on all night and it's shaking again this morning.

The tech says the image stablilzation circuit tests OK and he does not know what else could be causing the camera to shake. He's working on it.

I asked how long it would take for Sony to replace the camera if the problem isn't found and fixed. He said one to two months!

Others have posted about Sony replacing their cameras in a day or two when a brand new camera failed. Can someone please tell me how they got that to happen?
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Trustee

2 months?!?! - That is absolutely unacceptable on a brand new camer!

it should just be a return and replace with new machine. Have you talked with your dealer. Tell them you are posting that Sony is not supporting new malfunctioning cameras on this website. Ask to speak to superiors at the repair department. Be a pain in the XXX.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Inner Circle

When they couldn't repair my camera it took them only about 2 weeks to get clearance to send me a new camera. Total turnaround time was 3 weeks (1 week to realize they couldn't fix it). For me it was zoom stepping issue at low settings.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
When they couldn't repair my camera it took them only about 2 weeks to get clearance to send me a new camera. Total turnaround time was 3 weeks (1 week to realize they couldn't fix it). For me it was zoom stepping issue at low settings.

Just to be clear to everyone, I'm not saying Sony can't fix the camera. Maybe they can. The tech who called me didn't know what was wrong, but he didn't say it couldn't be fixed. That's when I asked how long it would take to get a replacement if it can't be fixed.

Now I would like to hear from someone higher up at Sony that I won't be out of business for months before I even find out if they will replace a professional camera I had for less than a month.

Do you have a phone contact who made that happen? Was this just Sony policy? Three weeks turnaround would be a lot better than a month or two to request clearance for a replacement.
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Major Player

My EX1 came back on Thursday evening, 6/19. I was in edit all day Friday. Checked it this morning.

Sony service said the buzzing/shaking was a defective IS unit in the lens, but the lenses were on backorder with several EX1s waiting for new lenses. Delivery was sooner than they estimated on the phone.

The hour meter has an extra 20 hours on it, so someone spent time slaving away over the beast.

Sony Packing List Comments show they -

"Replaced the lens assy., performed UPG, Fully tested."

The new lens has a very stiff focus ring. Mounted on a locked tripod (Sacthler 20, carbon sticks, about 25 lbs) turning the focus ring shakes the image on monitor, makes a pronounced rubbing noise, and sticks in some spots. This happens in Auto Manual and Full Manual. Push AF stays in auto focus for a minute or so after releasing the button sometimes. The zoom ring on this lens is so loose it rattles. It didn't do any of this stuff before it was "fixed". Assembly error in the lens barrel maybe? No lubricant in the focus helix?

Has anyone experienced this problem with their lens? Did you find a fix or does it need another trip to the hospital?

Anyone know what "performed UPG" means? The camera still has the same firmware 1.05_0405. What else are they upgrading on these?
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
What else are they upgrading on these?
One of the upgrades for earlier EX builds is a new curcuit board that apparently addresses the battery drain issue that happens even when the camera is turned off. Everyone I know takes the battery off their EX when they're not using it.

I was talking to a Sony technician (face to face) 3 days ago and he was describing what is involved in replacing the lens on an EX1. The camera has to be pretty much entirely dissasembled, starting from the back end where the battery is and work forward until the lens attaching screws are revealed inside the front of the camera body. It takes over 3 hours of work just to get to the lens screws.

George, your stiff iris and loose zoom ring doesn't sound good at all. I would go back to your dealer, show them what you're describing, and ask for a new replacement camera. Make sure your dealer knows that there has been a reported incident or two of people getting a replacment EX but found out later that their replacement was a camera that someone else returned and Sony fixed it then put it back on the market. Don't tell your dealer that you're accusing Sony of anything or that Sony knowingly did this. It could have been an honest mistake on Sony's part, but by telling your dealer this info it will put the bug in their ear and your dealer will "keep a sharp eye" as it were.

My replacement EX1 as of 3 days ago is serial #0106480. This will give you a clue as to where the current serial numbers are at.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Don

Thanks for the note. My dealer is B&H. I'll call them in the morning.
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:38 PM   #14
Major Player

George, Sony had to replace my lens along with the ND filter assembly a few weeks ago and the new lens doesn't exhibit any of the issues you are having. I'd be in touch with Sony Service ASAP to get this resolved. I doubt that B&H would (or could) do anything about a replacement camera. That usually involves getting the regional Sony Rep involved.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
George, Sony had to replace my lens along with the ND filter assembly a few weeks ago and the new lens doesn't exhibit any of the issues you are having. I'd be in touch with Sony Service ASAP to get this resolved. I doubt that B&H would (or could) do anything about a replacement camera. That usually involves getting the regional Sony Rep involved.
Just talked to Boris in B&H customer support. He doesn't have the contact info for their Sony rep, but said he would pass the request along to B&H purchasing Monday. I will also be in touch with Sony service Monday morning, but it couldn't hurt if they hear from the dealer's Sony area rep too.

Last edited by George Strother; June 23rd, 2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: This turns out to be a case of good intentions that didn't work out, so I am deleting my critique of the lens tech.
George Strother is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds