Firmware update wishlist ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Firmware update wishlist ?

I'd really like to see a few small changes in a firmware update.

1) Video flip 35mm adapter in the video data before it is displayed on LCD /viewfinder

2) Push Auto focus button has menu choice as focus assist or Z1-style Push auto

3) battery doesn't drain when left in camera

---------------------------
Some larger changes would be in the focus functions.

1) DSLR-style Focus zones (Nikon D3/D300 use these in live view mode) to speed up and improve focus reliability

2) x2 Focus expand function would work with these focus zones
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Major Player

If it can do the image flip, that would be awesome!
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Don't forget a Quick access to framerate changes and Rec format... menu steps take way to long to change between 1080 30p and 720 24p then accessing S&Q for 60fps. I go back and forth between these a lot and when shooting run and gun it sucks....Wish you could store these settings in a custom profile or a button assignment so one button press could switch between these settings.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, that would be good. They should be named as well, and a group rotated through with an assignable function button.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
... menu steps take way to long to change between 1080 30p and 720 24p then accessing S&Q for 60fps. I go back and forth between these a lot and when shooting run and gun it sucks....Wish you could store these settings in a custom profile or a button assignment so one button press could switch between these settings.
THIS has been the bane of this camera for me. I can't believe how cumbersome it is to change these settings. Especially when I am shooting in 1080p and have to change both settings at the same time for a slo-mo, then change it back for standard rate shooting. Looks like they have addressed it with the EX3 by moving to a frame rate dial, but that is no comfort to me. (cue violins)
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I missed a lot of shots while trying to switch back and forth durring an action sports shoot I was on last week....I sure hope they can do something about this as this is extremely frusterating :(
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I agree, the framerate control needs some help. What I would like to see more than that though is an upgrade to the 50mbps 422 codec from the PDW-700. I'd be willing to pay more for that.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Even silly things like not having to turn on the IR remote control every time you use the camera.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Change framerates using...

the scroll button behind. Hold button down for 3 seconds.. the FR option appears on menu and we change as required. Even better is we can change FR during recording :p

Also, change between 1080p and 720p with 3rd or 4th assignable button.
David Cheok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Major Player

David, how do you get this to happen. Maybe only if FR is the last thing chosen in settings?
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm sure Sony can find a way if they want to. Maybe Assign button 4 as activation for framerate control via scroll?
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I'd like to see a pre-record cache. Preferably 10 seconds. At least 5.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Regular Crew

And all important update (whilst power button at power-off) to auto-toggle off power completely and only power up when the battery indicator button is pressed.
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #14
Trustee

Here's one for the wishlist, although we won't get it.

Tha ability to plug into the camera's usb, a small portable hard-drive, usb or mains powered, then dive into the camera's menu and move the footage onto that drive, check that it's on the drive,via the camera's screen, before erasing the cards.

Now i'm not talking about copying at the same time as recording, just stop recording>transfer>carry on recording. No need for a laptop just for transfering and checking.

Oh hang on, Sony want us to spend hundreds on their hard-drive instead of the portable one like i've got here sat on my desk. That's why we won't get this facility.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Kellett; June 12th, 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more info.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I've heard some people say they saw just such a device by Sony "under glass" at NAB, called something like "EX Companion." There's been no announcement about such device though. This is not to be confused with the announced hard drive. The "Companion" seems to be something like the "P2 Store" Panasonic has.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds