Micro/Macro lenses on EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Micro/Macro lenses on EX3

I would like to use my ex3 for close-ups of plants and insects and get a Nikon micro lens for this purpose, attached to an "Adaptimax"
adapter. Can anyone please recommend me what type of Nikon lenses are suitable for this? Also any general advice regarding micro/macro photography in general would be most welcome since I have limited knowledge about these types of lenses,

many thanks, Jan
Jan Boersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

All of the micro Nikons, MF and AF, are good. The old 55 f2.8 micro is one of the sharpest lenses ever made IMHO. For plants a 55mm would be good, but for insects a 105mm might be better, or even a 200mm micro (though these are pretty big).
Sigma also makes some good macros, as does Tamron.
Ideally you want one that gives 1:1 life-size, some only go to half life-size.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Trustee

I use the 55mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor together with Steve's new Adaptimax adaptor and can vouch for the excellent quality. You will need to use it on a tripod as this combination gives a 5.4X magnification factor, i.e. the 55mm lens now becomes an effective 297mm lens. Set the lens at f8 or f11 for ultra sharp results.
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Check ffordes photographic : Main Index They have a used Nikon 55mm f2.8 micro MF for £179.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM   #5
New Boot

With the magnification factor taken into account,
would I be better of buying a "wide" micro lens?
Still unclear how the magnification factor works on micro lenses,
I know that with a tele lens in turns it into a super-tele lens,
but how does it translate into the micro lenses?
Will they still be proper micro lenses?

All help and advice greatly appreciated, Jan
Jan Boersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Boersma View Post
I would like to use my ex3 for close-ups of plants and insects and get a Nikon micro lens for this purpose, attached to an "Adaptimax"
adapter. Can anyone please recommend me what type of Nikon lenses are suitable for this? Also any general advice regarding micro/macro photography in general would be most welcome since I have limited knowledge about these types of lenses,

many thanks, Jan
Hi Jan, the best micro to use is the 105mm 2.8, which allows you to get a bit further away from the subject but still get excellent results. I own a 55mm 2.8 micro and popped it on the Adaptimax and shot some flower in the garden. You can take a look at the footage here.
55mm Nikon Macro attached to PMW-EX3 via Adaptimax on Vimeo

Not the greatest footage but you get the jist of it.

There's some more telephoto footage on the Adaptimax website.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Major Player

I like the 180mm

One of the many nice things about these adapters is they don't change the aperture or minimum focus distance. I recently used my 180mm about ten feet from the subject for some garden closeups (just playing with the lens).
Attached Thumbnails
Micro/Macro lenses on EX3-garden-02.bmp  

Last edited by Denis OKeefe; June 1st, 2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Zeiss

Im using Zeiss Planar 100 mm w/Macro and with Nikon adapter. It's a manual lens, kind of prime lens-.
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Trustee

After reading this thread I used the Adaptimax adaptor together with the 55mm Micro Nikkor lens fitted to a Nikon Extension tube. The results were amazing. I will post some clips later.

I have been using Steve Shovlars Adaptimax Plus adaptor for a couple of weeks, this allows the use of all Niikor lenses, DX, G series as well as the older Ai and manual lenses. It's a nicely made adaptor at a reasonable price.

I will be posting a full un-biased review on this adaptor shortly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds