PMW-300 owners - opinions needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Space Hipster

PMW-300 owners - opinions needed

Well, that's two freelance jobs I've lost in the last 2 weeks because I didn't have an XDCAM camera. It seems that Sonys are by far the most requested cameras, specifically XDCAMs. Canon C300s, too, but they're $$$!

Any way, I might have to switch from Panasonic P2 to an XDCAM just so I can grab the jobs that are going to others.
Price wise, the PMW-300 seems to be my best option. It has 1/2" chips, a true broadcast codec, HDMI, SDI, every broadcast connection I'll need. Plus, I can upgrade to XAVC soon.

So, all you 300 owners, what is your honest assessment of the camera? I've used an EX3 and a PMW-200 a lot, so I'm familiar with XDCAM. I can maybe get a used PMW350 body (I have a 2/3" lens and A/B batteries), but then I can't do any better than 35mbps, 4:2:0, and I want to future proof my gear. No external recorders, thanks.

I'd love to play with the GH4 or a Sony Z100, but when the networks come calling, they'll want XDCAM.

Are you happy with the camera? Does it get you work?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PMW-300 owners - opinions needed

Watch out about using AB batteries with the 300. You'll need voltage regulation on the DC cable going from the plate to the DC IN on the 300 of a constant 12V in order to use battery plates. Sony artificially limited the DC IN so that third party batteries with no voltage regulation that exceed 12V cannot be used with the pigtail method. You're going to have to stick to BP-U or no pigtail required third party BP-U batteries like the latest SWIT battery.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was an ex-3 user for years and upgraded to pmw-300 I really like it and have a Vocas rig for it that is great. Battery solutions are coming soon. I also shoot with a GH2 and will be getting a GH4, one camera cant do it all.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I just got my PMW 300. Some initial problems noted, but I need some time with it. Has anyone published favorite settings?

Last edited by Steve Siegel; February 20th, 2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: premature opinion
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No I haven't found any specific picture profiles for the 300 yet but some say use the pmw-200 settings listed as they should be close.

Also Im testing a Beta Test version of a Switronix battery with a DTAp that is Awesome, no need to plug in and gives u a minutes meter in your viewfinder So Far So Great
Attached Thumbnails
PMW-300 owners - opinions needed-photo.jpg  
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You don't say, Brent? That'll be amazing! I'm willing to sell my current EX-L96UD if I don't need to use a pigtail! In fact, I'm willing to sell both my pigtail batteries for this battery when it comes out! Really hope it's 96wh.
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Just picked up my PMW300 K1 today and I have to say I am blown away by it. Looking forward to reading and contributing here. Also looking forward to the XAVC codec firmware.
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
Has anyone published favorite settings?
I started with Alister Chapman's PMW200 settings and modified them to fit my needs.

AMAZING colour especially in 50mbps mode on my PMW200.
Old February 26th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I briefly talked to Alister on the Sony stand at BVE in London today about this. Yep, those PMW-200 settings should be a good place to start with the PMW-300 as the cams are so similar, albeit with lower noise from the more recent image processing technology employed in the newer 300.
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kaplan View Post
No I haven't found any specific picture profiles for the 300 yet but some say use the pmw-200 settings listed as they should be close.

Also Im testing a Beta Test version of a Switronix battery with a DTAp that is Awesome, no need to plug in and gives u a minutes meter in your viewfinder So Far So Great
It's September and we still don't see any word on this. You may just be the only one in the world with this type of battery indefinitely.
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

I calculated the cost of purchasing the cheaper Swiftronics (if it comes out) version + freight, versus buying the legit Sony battery in Australia. It worked out to be no difference at all.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #12
Major Player

I bought two of these batteries a few months ago. They work fine and are less expensive than the Sony equal. I have however found that the camera's battery meter is not accurate when using them and that my camera seems to churn through a battery very quickly compared to other full camcorders I have used. I wish someone including Sony would bring out a V-Lock adapter. I have a V-lock plate on my rig for my Zylight and other accessories, just wish I could power the camera.
I bought my batteries from Dolgin Engineering a reputable supplier.
Brian
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Brian,

There is a V-Lock adapter, that is the only way I have been powering my PMW-300 since May, balances well with the Canon KH 10ex3.6 lens. The problem is Sony limits the voltage shut off/alarm on non-Sony batteries. So I only get 50% of my battery usage and then I have to switch. And using Switronix 130W/h batteries that is too bad.

I use the DM Accessories shoulder brace/heavily modified, see picture. And their V-Lock battery mount. My setup is a great eng setup. But I do have to switch to go on sticks. But most of my days are 100% on the shoulder.

Now there is one thing you can do and I have been trying to tweak it, you can adjust the voltage minimum input on the V-Lock plate. Just contact DM and he is happy to help walk you though it, it is very easy.

Couple of not so good pics showing the camera setup.
Attached Thumbnails
PMW-300 owners - opinions needed-_mg_3210.jpg   PMW-300 owners - opinions needed-_mg_3273.jpg  

Old October 14th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Equal Opportunity Offender

That's a tough job you've got there!

BTW, do you use any polarising filters on the camera when shooting on the water? Or feel the need to?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Andrew,

The marine industry is my life I have been in it since my first job and filming it since then also. For me work and play is the same thing.

As for polarizing filter I can say, yes, and no. I will only use a polarizing filter when I am 90 degrees to the sun or close to 90 degree. And to look through the waters surface, for that it is a great addition.

Just too much fast movement and changing angles quickly in my shooting. I get 1 chance to get most of my shots so the polarizing filter in my experience can be a problem when on the run. The rest of the time I do not like to use it. I would say 95% of the time I am using a B+W UV in my Bright Tangerine mat box. Now a mat box with great flags is a must for my type of shooting.

Do you shoot on the water also?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds