PMW 200 - LCD vs Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

PMW 200 - LCD vs Viewfinder

Hello people.

I cant fully trust in PMW 200 LCD (and i guess this happens with pretty much every camera) because the image it's not accurate and it's definately more brighter. I always have to see through viewfinder to make sure the image is fine.

For example: today i shot and interview, and if i relied in LCD the image would probably be a little underexposed, because in the LCD one part of the frame was overexposed but in viewfinder the image was ok and well balanced.

This is a pain because sometimes i need to be quick with some shots to catch some moments and i can't be that fast because i have to check the image in viewfinder as i'm afraid to rely in LCD.

How do you guys do?

Thanks!
Tiago Cristovao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW 200 - LCD vs Viewfinder

on my PMW 200 I use zebra set at 90 which gives me a little leeway, i also try and avoid full auto exposure and use the iris control and or ND filters, my gain settings are L -3 db M - 0db H - 6db, shutter speed at 1/50 at 25 p
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:46 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you. I forgot about Zebra function, i guess i've never liked it too much.

For example in this explanation : https://eyefish.tv/production-guide/...zebra-patterns

At 70%, the image looks overexposed in the girl's face but there is no stripes, while in the other one the stripes are in her face. Why there are stripes in the sky and not in the face in 70% image?
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:05 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

Zebras are one of your best friends for exposure. Without them, your judgement can be way off. With them, you can eyeball and make those calls (let this be too dark or let that be too bright, or somewhere in the middle? Etc.). I would leave them on always.

Some folks leave 'em at 90 or 100%, some folks put 'em at 70 or 75 (can depend on cam and your taste) and use that to specifically judge skin tones (if you shoot a lot of people, not a bad way to go). The way this works, generally is you look for HIGHLIGHTS on the skin, take the face for instance, highlights on the cheeks, tip of nose/t-zone, forehead, etc. When those spots show zebras and nowhere else, you've nailed your exposure.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sound like you didn't calibrate your LCD. My EX1R LCD and VF were the same after I calibrated each of them using the camera's color bars. I expect the PMW-200 to be the same although I've read some complaints about a yellow tinge. But with proper calibration, you should be able to eyeball exposure in most situations, especially after you learn to use zebras. Here's an explanation on how to calibrate your camera, searching will find articles on how to use zebras as well:
http://www.xdcam-user.com/2012/06/ca...finder-or-lcd/
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:00 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Zebras are one of your best friends for exposure. Without them, your judgement can be way off. With them, you can eyeball and make those calls (let this be too dark or let that be too bright, or somewhere in the middle? Etc.). I would leave them on always.

Some folks leave 'em at 90 or 100%, some folks put 'em at 70 or 75 (can depend on cam and your taste) and use that to specifically judge skin tones (if you shoot a lot of people, not a bad way to go). The way this works, generally is you look for HIGHLIGHTS on the skin, take the face for instance, highlights on the cheeks, tip of nose/t-zone, forehead, etc. When those spots show zebras and nowhere else, you've nailed your exposure.
Thank you for your reply.

So a few zebra stripe in the face? And what about when shooting a extreme wide shot for example, with lots os sky or landscaping, i assume you would't want too many stripes in that sky/landscaping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Sound like you didn't calibrate your LCD. My EX1R LCD and VF were the same after I calibrated each of them using the camera's color bars. I expect the PMW-200 to be the same although I've read some complaints about a yellow tinge. But with proper calibration, you should be able to eyeball exposure in most situations, especially after you learn to use zebras. Here's an explanation on how to calibrate your camera, searching will find articles on how to use zebras as well:
Calibrating your viewfinder or LCD. | XDCAM-USER.COM

Thanks!

I didn't know it was possible to do that. I will have a look.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:58 AM   #7
Vortex Media

How to correctly use zebras on the PMW-200 is one of the topics covered in my 3-hour training DVD.
Mastering the PMW-200-160-150-100 Camcorders

(BTW, you don't want to see zebras on faces.)
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Regarding setting up the V/F and LCD with the colour bars in a PMW200. Making adjustments using the bars the screen image doesn't seem to change, however, using the camera output the screens do change with the brightness and contract adjustments.

I normally use the bars to set V/F etc up. Firmware 1.32 if that helps.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Major Player

A quick note... I couldn't get by without a Hoodman Loupe. Strap it onto the lcd viewfinder and you have a much better chance of getting everything the way you want it. Zebra too, of course. It's just so much easier to see everything in detail with the loupe.
Regards, Malcolm
P.S. I haven't used the viewfinder for as long as I can remember. I used it last, now that I think of it, when it was pouring rain and I had my camera covered in a rain cover (couldn't flip out my lcd in this situation).
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds