XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #271
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill View Post
I got CA and I await the Leopard version of Magic Bullet to fix this.
my magic bullet looks works great on leopard. which magic bullet do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
It also amazes me you can get shots that would be impossible in New York City. They are very restrictive about where you can bring cameras and even more restrictive if there's a tripod involved.

For example, $10,000,000 liability insurance and over $10,000 to have MTA staff on hand if one shoots in the NYC Subway System according MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority).

Not only do you have a good eye, I am amazed you get the time to set up those shots without being harassed . . . or maybe there's a story behind some of those shots.
I go to a spot, set up and look around trying to get certain shots, then I move to another spot. I am pretty quick. it was funny as there was another crew there shooting on DVCPRO HD varicam with a huge entourage for a corporate shoot, then there was little old me with my little camera and tripod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
I do agree that you have become the guy here that when you mention a piece of gear on your blog or here that I open a safari window and google it to see more about it..... you should feel good about you promoting through real life experience and not as a paid shil.... makes me feel better reading it anyways. Mike Curtis of hdforindies.com does a good job of balancing his blog time with earning some coin by linking products he cheers on his amazon page.

so how bout other things your sweet on?

Phil, what coffee do you drink? Right now I'm on the fence between Illy and Lavazza with my lapovoni..... think I'm leaning toward lavazza for my caps.

Shoes? I like the look of Puma suedes but they are a bit flat footed for me and at the end of a day of shooting my feet ache.... so I switched to black NB runners... nice and light and I feel like I'm walking on clouds.... great with the merlin/vest/armex1 combo.

shavers..... I gave up on blades and switched to just rotory but I'm still not happy. I think it might be one of those things that one is never completly satisfies with and just comprimises. kinda like film look plugins...hehe
Am decaf at the moment as I drink too much of the damn stuff!

Shoes, always loved pumas, but have started wearing some adidas y3 trainers. I don't dress like most cameramen in the UK. I don't wear Timberlands!

Shavers when i can bothered (!), gillette mach3 ultimate power or whatever the latest is called. I like wet shaves best

Women, I have always preferred brunettes, but have a soft spot for redheads.

My favourite colour is blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
A lot of the "south Bank" stuff was shot at Waterloo station concourse.
- Its a complete zoo in rushhour, but it is a fairly big concourse and honestly 99% of people really couldnt care less what you're doing - as they only have (literally) 82seconds before their train home leaves.... all they want is to make it onto their regular train to get home in time for their favourite TV programme..

What you *can't* do though is leave a bag unattended anywhere. that sort of thing is a complete no-no in London and has been for many years and for good reason...

The one piece of South Bank I thought was (perhaps) a little scary for Phil is when the roller-blader did the jump coming straight towards him, and fell, and to me, judging by how OOF it was, it looked like those skates really came pretty close to the camera !! Phil can you comment on how close the guy got to you ?!?!
I wanted proper rush hour but they would not let me come until 10 which was a shame as it was much quieter than I had wanted.

I had a pass around my neck and for about 30 seconds had a chaperone. I was asked by police a lot if I had the pass then I showed them so no problems. If I had my nice 20x HD lens on my f350 I could have got so much better shots of people. But the longest lens I had with me was just a 105mm so I had to be much bolder and in your face than I had wanted. Never a good thing when trying to catch natural reactions.

The Skater landed about 3 foot from me. I had my 85mm Shift Tilt Lens on so it looked closer than it was!
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #272
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Am decaf at the moment as I drink too much of the damn stuff!

Shoes, always loved pumas, but have started wearing some adidas y3 trainers. I don't dress like most cameramen in the UK. I don't wear Timberlands!

Shavers when i can bothered (!), gillette mach3 ultimate power or whatever the latest is called. I like wet shaves best

Women, I have always preferred brunettes, but have a soft spot for redheads.

My favourite colour is blue.
Decaf? Phil, try the real italian "espresso". Short, hot, strong, but less coffeine than all the other variations. Not to be mistaken with Cafe Americano, Short Black and the likes. Even bought a real espresso machine just to get that quality. No more high blood pressure ever since. There is an Aussie magazine "Crema" that explains all ins and outs...

Shoes? Italian brands like Magli or the Aussie things from RM Williams.
Italian again...
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #273
Major Player

Quote:
Without impartiality my opinion is worthless here.
Thanks Phil for making that clear. As has been said before, your insights and opinions are much appreciated!
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #274
Major Player

Quote:
my magic bullet looks works great on leopard. which magic bullet do you mean?
I'm using Magic Bullet on Leopard as well. No problems.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #275
Major Player

The original Magic Bullet doesn't work on Leopard but Magic Bullet Looks is fine. And a great program as well.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #276
Trustee

steve did you say you were going to the broadcast forum?
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #277
Major Player

Yes I will be there first thing on the first day.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #278
Major Player

Your latest film is awesome Phil, I really love the over cranked shots of people walking around the station, although I think I too would be a nervous wreck shooting somewhere like that.

I filmed in a small country town in Norfolk yesterday and even there I got some abuse from a bunch of road sweeping blokes and was very wary of some hooded kids that seemed to be following me. I'm not a small chap, but I was quite glad to get the gear back in the car!

Keep up the good work mate, and I'd still like to do a shoot with you one day if your ever up for it.

Paul.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #279
Major Player

hey Paul, I lived Bury St. Edmunds from 80 - 86 and still have a scar on my knee from an incident with a moped and a sugar beet near the five-way to Thetford. someday I hope to take the wife and kids back and show them the sites.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #280
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
hey Paul, I lived Bury St. Edmunds from 80 - 86 and still have a scar on my knee from an incident with a moped and a sugar beet near the five-way to Thetford.
This is the best sentence I have read in 5 years. It's pure poetry and I'm not joking.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #281
Major Player

Ouch, that sounds painful Christopher, you gotta watch those beets!

Is anyone else going to the broadcast forum? I was planning to go down on one of the days, but not sure which one yet.
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #282
Trustee

come find me on the sony stand!
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #283
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
The original Magic Bullet doesn't work on Leopard but Magic Bullet Looks is fine. And a great program as well.
Right, should've typed the full name, sorry. Magic Bullet Looks is working very well for me on Leopard.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #284
Major Player

Magic Bullett looks demo version worked but after applying settings they were way off after going back to FCP with the settings, the color was way different then in the looks suite. They are sopose to release a ver for Leopard soon.
Not sure why I was having prolbems.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #285
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Your latest film is awesome Phil, I really love the over cranked shots of people walking around the station, although I think I too would be a nervous wreck shooting somewhere like that.

I filmed in a small country town in Norfolk yesterday and even there I got some abuse from a bunch of road sweeping blokes and was very wary of some hooded kids that seemed to be following me. I'm not a small chap, but I was quite glad to get the gear back in the car!

Keep up the good work mate, and I'd still like to do a shoot with you one day if your ever up for it.

Paul.
Paul,

Never show fear!!! If you act like you belong there, people will leave you alone. I once found myself surrounded by a gang of young men in Freetown, Sierra Leone. I played cool and they finally relaxed and let me be. I was scared inside, but never let it show on the outside and you will be o.k.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds