Firmware Update Wish List - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #46
Major Player

I just held that Casio today at CES - one of the reps had an almost working prototype strapped around his neck.

I have been watching this camera for some time as a possible (really cheap) RED substitute.

But what I found out today is that it will record 60fps at 6 megapixels, but only for one second. Or 30fps for two seconds. Or any speed from 1 to 60, but with a maximum 60 frame buffer.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; January 9th, 2008 at 02:21 AM.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM   #47
Tourist

Audio Only Recording

I wish there was a way to only record audio and no video files. Would come in real handy for those long voice-over sessions when you're recording into the camera.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #48
Contributor

Meta-data

OK, here's one for Sony to consider: include more camera data for readout in XDCAM Transfer. Which Picture Profile a clip was recorded with would be a good start. Even my PD150 allows me to readout aperture, etc. Having to manually log something as important as the picture profile being used is really unacceptable.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #49
Inner Circle

In hope Sony reads it (or Chris will be as nice as he was with the Canon A1 update wishilst:)) - here is one more:

Peaking being more or less apparent depending on circumstances, I wish the peaking button was multifunctional in that it cycled trough: off/low/medium/high, rather than just on/off...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; January 29th, 2008 at 06:21 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #50
Trustee

An icon on the screen displaying the fact that peaking is on,as people have noticed,when zoomed in or on expanded you can't see the peaking,sometimes i've switch peaking on then off then back on etc beacuse i can't see it,then i have to zoom out and check.just a little icon would be nice,something like the little OIS waving hand.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:42 AM   #51
Trustee

i heard there will be firmware update in March, let's hope so. The only thing I learned that will def be on it will be the ability to take 32gb cards. Other than that I guess we just have to wait!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:53 AM   #52
Regular Crew

I would feel loved if the rolling shutter issue was somehow resolved. IMHO its a pretty nasty effect that we shouldn't have to deal with. Would NOT want to show clips to a client and have to explain what the hell it is and why my oh so fancy camera can't fix it.

- Ray
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:00 AM   #53
Trustee

Is that not a cmos hardware issue?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #54

The only thing Sony MIGHT be able to do is up the scan rate.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #55
Trustee

I'm hoping that the firmware update will give it a tape drive so i can record HDV if I need to, and also give me the option to stretch the camera like a bellows box so I can put it on my shoulder if I want. That would be nice.

Those Sony software guys are very clever, you never know!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #56
Tourist

Useful shot marks

more of a request for the XDCAM transfer software but I wish I could filter out clips that had a shot marker in them.

That way I could add a shot marker to the good takes while shooting and only import them.

I know I can easily scroll through all my clips and look for ones with shot markers and mark them as good and then filter those out, but that's a pain... At least add a keyboard shortcut to mark a clip as good...
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #57
Regular Crew

I'd like a more accurate presentation of the histogram. The edges of the box are not the edges of the allowable range. At the very least I'd like indicators for 0, 10, 50, 90, and 100.
Clark
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #58
Trustee

If Sony could of upped the CMOS scan rate, they would of.

If this is possble via software, all I can say is please offer this upgade.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Dear Sony, if you're reading this please improve the highlights compression algorithm, so that foreground object do not act as an ND filter against brighter background, causing non-uniform white clipping of the background as described here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=113933
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #60
Major Player

I wish they would fix the zoom top handle problem discussed here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112004

On slow speeds z1-z10 the zooming is not smooth but stutters.

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds