Firmware Update Wish List - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
Im shocked they didnt include this ...
Me too. This is very annoying, like not providing an audio limiter!
But didn't someone of the early testers mention a pre-record buffer WOULD be included later (by firmware)?
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #32
Major Player

1080 60p would be nice if firmware could enable.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #33
Major Player

WB: I find the way the WB switch works to be fine other than it would be nice to be able to select the WB setting on the LCD and dial in a different number manually.

Peaking & Zebra: I agree with the earlier comment, I too often find myself pressing the peaking button and not knowing if it is on or off due to it not having an effect in some situations.

OIS: I can't believe this isn't assignable to a button, it's the same on the Canon A1, I'm not sure why this mistake keeps getting made.

Clip Review: It would be nice if pressing the clip review button a second time would cancel the playback. It's a pain having to hunt around on top of the camera for the stop button mid shoot.

Component out: As this is the only way to connect this camera to a standard HD TV to review footage, it would be nice if it would output the full resolution instead of removing the overscan area. This is especially annoying with most new TV's being able to display the full 1080 image.
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
WB: I find the way the WB switch works to be fine other than it would be nice to be able to select the WB setting on the LCD and dial in a different number manually.
Paul, how are you switching between 3200° and 5600°? I simply can not throw up a white card in many situations and ATW is a sure way to not have consistency. Right now I'm switching Picture Profiles but that's a real pane and a waste of a PP IMHO.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #35
Major Player

Firstly I change the WB settings so that preset B is set to MEM and not ATW, that gives you the ability to store a WB on both preset A and preset B.

I usually leave these on 3200 & 5600 and switch between them as required using the WB switch. If something else is required though, like you want it slightly warmer than the camera decides then it seems PP is the only way to do so. This is where is would be nice to select the WB setting in the LCD and dial in a setting instead, much like you can on the Canon A1.

The way I understand it is that the bottom switch position PRST is set at 3200 anyway (or can be changed in the menu) so in effect you could have 3 stored options.
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Paul, only the preset can be dialed in. While MEM A and MEM B can be anything, the only way to get that "anything" is to actually fidel with white balance against whatever (white card). There's no way to SET (dial in) either MEM A or MEM B to a given number unless you're not telling us something.

In other words you can't get a MEM position to be 5600 unless you happen to white balance and store when the light temp happens to be 5600. That's POOR design in my opinion. I SHOULD be able to dial in 5600 (or whatever I want) to ANY MEM position, NOT just Preset.

Preset can be dialed in to ANYTHING. It Defaults to 3200, can be dialed in with Picture Profile. The user has NO control over MEM A or B other than to actually set on white and it'll wind up whatever it is, no necessarily 5600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Firstly I change the WB settings so that preset B is set to MEM and not ATW, that gives you the ability to store a WB on both preset A and preset B.

I usually leave these on 3200 & 5600 and switch between them as required using the WB switch. If something else is required though, like you want it slightly warmer than the camera decides then it seems PP is the only way to do so. This is where is would be nice to select the WB setting in the LCD and dial in a setting instead, much like you can on the Canon A1.

The way I understand it is that the bottom switch position PRST is set at 3200 anyway (or can be changed in the menu) so in effect you could have 3 stored options.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I haven't got my EX1 yet, but these WB woes make me wonder: if prosumer cameras (like the Canon A1 or Sony V1) can have it right, why not a professional division product like the EX1?

So, my question to the bigger CineAlta cams' users: what are the WB options on the 350, for instance?
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I don't wan't to be a spoilsport, but, as far as my knowledge in electronics reaches, it is not possible to increase the frame rate to reach 1080 60p just with a firmware update.

Why? Because to reach 60p means that the electronic circuits of the camera should handle the double of data than at 30p, and they are not designed for such higher data rates. They can handle less, that's why it's possible to undercrank, but no more. Notice that a video frame in 1080 lines is about 2 MegaPixels, but at 720 lines, it is just the half, 1 MP. That's why the camera can double the frame rate at 720 lines, because the total amount of data per second is the same. Notice that if the hardware could handle 1080 60p, it could also work at 720 120p, and that would be very funny! But that's for a future camera...

However, the MPEG compression data rate is increased when overcranking, so a higher data rate for standard frame rates should be possible. But I don't think the color encoding, which is 4:2:0, could be changed, as this is surely implemented in the MPEG encoding chip, however I can't assure that this can't be changed, neither can confirm that the data rate could be increased.

And, IMHO, I think we must remember that Sony has released a prosumer camera with the same specs as their higher end cameras that cost 2 or 3 times the price of the EX, it reaches the level of the XDCAM HD camcorders, and can even be compared with the HDCAM ones, so who could ask for more?
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Of course the full 1080/50(60)p is not viable yet; if not for the imagers than for the media bandwidth limitations.

Back to the wishlist; being CineAlta I wonder why the EX1 doesn't have a more cinematic Aspect Marker available? Paul has given us a beautiful example of cropping at post, which would be much easier should we have the right aspect merker available at shooting time!
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Paul, only the preset can be dialed in. While MEM A and MEM B can be anything, the only way to get that "anything" is to actually fidel with white balance against whatever (white card).
I must have just been lucky then. The first time I white balanced outside I used A, the first time inside I used B. The result was 5600 & 3200 so I just left it at that.

I do agree though, you should be able to input them yourself.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #41
Trustee

Yes, I guess once you get MEM A&B to 5600 & 3200, you could leave them there and if you really want to fine tune, you will have to change the profile WB.

I'm really not finding changing the profile that big of a deal. Once you call up that parameter, It remembers the last parameter setting your adjusting. So when you press the picture profile button, you're back to the the WB setting.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #42
Regular Crew

About the wish to have 1080p60/50... if this http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08010601casiof1.asp can do it without even being a motion camera... so sony should really consider adding 1080p60/50
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomas Sebastien View Post
-Ability to change shutter speed with joystick when direct menu is set to PART. I didn't like much the fact that changing direct menu to ALL disable separate gain and WB switches. Perhaps these could work same time also --> if you touch the separate switches of gain and WB it would change the setting even though direct menu would be set to ALL
Have to quote my earlier wish.. I DIDN'T notice that there's a shutter on/off switch front of the camera:P That pretty much makes my previous wish absolette.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #44
Trustee

White Balance

I have a feeling this camera might be a little bit more complex than we realise. In one of the menus for setting WB it's not a simple matter of adjusting the CT, there's also a set of matrix adjustments. This seems to make some sense to me. Two light sources of the same CT may not be identical and produce different colour renditions. The camera does seem to spend a fair amount of time doing its WB thing so there might be quite a lot of calculations going on to get precise WB.

So what Sony might be not saying is sure you can just dial in a number or store a WB setting for say daylight but it's not as good as it can be working that way. I've noticed something not unlike this on other cameras, you can dial in Daylight or Tungsten but even with a tungsten light you need to do a little CCing in post to get it really spot on.

Having said that, it'd still be good to have the option to have A and B as 'near enough' settings for daylight and tungsten.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #45
Major Player

Tuomas, funny you mention the Casio as I saw this at CES and after I saw it, I posted my 1080 60p wish. Even if somehow they could make it work. I would be happy with 30 seconds or a Minute of HQ on a 16GB card. I understand the 1080 60p is probably not going to happen but hey it is a wish list! I am going to buy an EX1 but someday I hope to be able to get a 120fps or 300fps+ camera because those ultra slow mo shots of high speed motion are very very impressive!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds