Problems with XDCAM transfer software for Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems with XDCAM transfer software for Mac

We have a Mac Pro that we use with our EX1 and XL-H1.
It seems that the transfer software behaves very odd. When importing more than 20 clips, it always adds a duplicate clip from clip 20 and upwards (in Final Cut, not on disk though).

This seems to interfere with the other clips imported from the XL-H1 in FC. It dosenīt sort the rest of the clips correctly after we import clips from the EX1.

Anyone else have this problem?
Editing is no problem, neither is mixing the XL-H1 and the EX1 as long as itīs in a HDV time line
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
We have a Mac Pro that we use with our EX1 and XL-H1.
It seems that the transfer software behaves very odd. When importing more than 20 clips, it always adds a duplicate clip from clip 20 and upwards (in Final Cut, not on disk though).

Anyone else have this problem
Yes, but its with 10 or more clips. Right now, I am importing one by one due to an even bigger problem (something funky with Quicktime FSfilecheck failure with movie atom (am several thousand miles away from it on a Z1 shoot).

There are a few wrinkles to be sorted out before I trust it.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi
Thanks Matt. Good to know Iīm not the only one having problems with it.
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I posted somewhere about how to avoid the problem:

To prevent duplicate clips when importing into FCP via the SONY XDCam Transfer application:

Select up to 10 clips and import as usual directly into FCP.

When that's done, go to FCP and move those 10 clips into a bin.

Import the next 10 clips via XDCam Transfer.

Again, go back to FCP and move those newly imported clips into the bin where you moved the other clips.

It's annoying to have to go back and forth. However the advantage of doing it this way is that it will preserve any comments you typed into the XDCam Transfer logging window. Quite helpful when logging a lot of clips.

Apparently FCP chokes when there's more than 10 XDCam clips imported into a project. It will also mess up if there are already XDCam clips in the browser, and your additional clips add up to more than 10 or 11 total clips.

To avoid problems, move imported clips out of the browser and into a bin. That way the next set of clips will be imported into a "clean" browser without any problems.

As clips are imported, they can be consolidated into a bin wihout any problems. Once they're in the project, clips can be moved anywhere and grouped as desired.
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks a lot for your thorough explanation Dean.
I will do that on our next shoot. Unfortunatly we have imported the clips already this time.
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi,

I had the same issues and found a few fixes in here. Fortunately if you update your FCP with the most recent software updates it seems that apple has fixed the issue. Do that right away.

Now for your old clips......

Cut the reference out of your old bin. You will need to be persistent it is a PIA...

then shift select the clips from your scratch folder where they are all neatly in order, then drag and drop to your bin. They should all fall into place nicely.

I am suffering major tapeless anxiety and recently dealt with this so I hope you get through OK
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds