Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #46
Trustee

"Who am I to doubt you Doug? "

I didn't mean this as a sarcastic remark Doug, in fact far from it. I respect and value your opinions and advice, they certainly have helped me to become a better cameraman.

I will still put my lenses through a test, just so I know where the sweet spot is on my equipment.

Cheers :-)
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #47
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
"Who am I to doubt you Doug? "

I didn't mean this as a sarcastic remark Doug, in fact far from it.
Don't worry, I took it the right way. I'm sorry if I sounded like I didn't get it. Everything is cool.
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I would be keen to see those test's screen grabs to see if my own EX is in the bounds of sharpness.
Glynn Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #49
Trustee

Glynn, put your camera on a sturdy tripod and shoot 10-20 seconds of material at each aperture. Use a Progressive mode rather than interlaced. On my tests I usually say the the settings so when I play back a clip I know what it was shot at. Try the same sequence of tests under soft and strong lighting.

Although all the advice is not to go beyond f8, shoot some footage at f8, f11 & f16 if only to open your eyes to what the results will look like.

Have fun.

I will post my tests later this week, have to finiish of another assignment first.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM   #50
Inner Circle

At the end of this video there are some examples of diffraction limiting.

YouTube - Aperture, Depth of Field and Diffraction. How to Guide.
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM   #51
Regular Crew

I found a room, stuck a focal chart on the door and did the aperture sharpness test. Really cool to see the theory proven. f8 and f11 aren't too good.

I noticed my Mid shots at f2.8 and f4 were a bit blurry though, don't know why that could be.

Thoughts?

f1-f4
Attached Thumbnails
Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f1.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f1-mws.jpg  

Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f1-ws.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f2.jpg  

Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f2-mws.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f2-ws.jpg  

Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f4.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f4-mws.jpg  

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:56 AM   #52
Regular Crew

more

f4-f11

only showed WS of f11, cos you can see it so clearly.

These are JPEG files but they are the same res and are identical to the eye to the BMP's

Think my camera is up to scratch?

PS: I know my WB is completely out of whack - i should have reset it.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f4-ws.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f5.6.jpg  

Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f5.6-mws.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f5.6-ws.jpg  

Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f8.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f8mws.jpg  

Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f8ws.jpg   Accidently Adjusted Flange Focal Length-f11ws.jpg  

Old September 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #53
Regular Crew

^ Results to be expected?
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Hah

Hah, I am going to assume they are. Cheers everyone for your help in this thread. :]
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Selling

I'm now selling this Ex3 for an overseas opportunity, but I do need to know if these are acceptable back focus images before I sell it. I don't want to sell someone something that needs a service.
Glynn Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds