E-films announces the HDR Hard Disk Recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Sony $100 Discount on the PHU60k

Looks like Sony caught wind of the efforts posted here... and are now trying to catch any uninformed folk with a crummy $100 discount.

But maybe someone doens't want to go the 'home-grown' route... so if you are interested in the Sony offering, here is the LINK
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Major Player

eFilms has great product idea here - is Sony trying to buy you guys out yet??

I don't understand why anyone would want use "spinning disks" for this application. One thing that is sure - sooner or later every conventional hard drive will fail. The camera limits the drive capacity so those SSDs are within a reasonable price range.

I wonder if the camera's chip record time limit is a hardware or software limit?

I also think in a year or two we'll see 64 or 128 GB SDHC chips...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Ross, in my opinion, the option to power the drive though the adapter running off internal camera power is what I would want.

Less to think about on a gig and if you are on battery the one connection to the drive makes it more mobile.

Am I on the right page here?

Is it possible to run power to a SSD drive over the same cable that sends the data?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #19
Major Player

Ross I have a query on your very interesting product. The SxS cards have a 600 shot limit, i.e. if on a single card (for example a 32 GB card) one shoots 600 shots then the card would indicate that it is full even though these 600 shots might not be long enough to exceed the 116 minutes that are (theoretically)provided by a 32 GB card. Will this SSD drive be limited in the same way?

If so then such a product would only be ideal in lengthy continuous shooting, such as for example concerts. In my situation where I typically shoot about 450 shots in a single wedding on one 32GB card, I cannot see myself ever buying a larger card than a 32GB as I will run out of shots and not memory space.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds