No more 8GB or 16GB SxS cards - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
This is very good news for me doing location work. Thanks for bringing it up. I'm sure it will be simple and reasonably fast. Exactly what I want on location. And since it's Sony it should be reliable and work happily with EX. I don't want to play with laptops or hook up USB devices on location. Great news.
I saw somewhere the list price for this is in the $2k's!! More than the price of a laptop. Why does SONY kill it's technology with such high prices? If the cards were cheaper we'd all be buying them. If this was cheaper, I'd buy one, instead, I'm all over the MxR route. SONY, it's a new financial world out there....price accordingly and you may move some units.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #32
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Allen View Post
This is very good news for me doing location work. Thanks for bringing it up. I'm sure it will be simple and reasonably fast. Exactly what I want on location. And since it's Sony it should be reliable and work happily with EX. I don't want to play with laptops or hook up USB devices on location. Great news.
Max, that's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm even toying with the idea of using the cartridges as my long-term archive. At around $400 per cartidge, that might seem expensive, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagreed with that approach, but for me, I think it makes sense. Time is money. Peace of mind is priceless. This is my business, my reputation, and my livelihood. Saving a few bucks on media does not appeal to me. That's why I don't shoot on SD cards, either. That's just my two cents.

I have been assured that the street price of the unit will be $1500 or less including one cartridge.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #33
Regular Crew

As a side benefit, now that 13 MBP seems like it makes sense. It was disheartening to hear the announcement regarding the expresscard slot going away from the 15. Now with the Sony MS-240 I won't have to lug around my 17" MBP. The bloom has been off that rose for a long time. Thanks for the update Doug.

Dave
Dave Nystul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Max, that's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm even toying with the idea of using the cartridges as my long-term archive. At around $400 per cartidge, that might seem expensive, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagreed with that approach, but for me, I think it makes sense. Time is money. Peace of mind is priceless. This is my business, my reputation, and my livelihood. Saving a few bucks on media does not appeal to me. That's why I don't shoot on SD cards, either. That's just my two cents.

I have been assured that the street price of the unit will be $1500 or less including one cartridge.

Amen Doug.

On MXR, I think it can serve some purpose as replacement media when shooting in remote locations or foreign countries. If for some reason the SxS are stolen, lost or destroyed while on a job SD cards are more available. So I keep one MXR adapter on hand.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #35
Major Player

8 gig SxS going away?

I just looked on B&H this morning and it shows the 8gig SxS card as "Discontinued". Could this be true? I realize that there the 16gig cards might be dropping price due to the availability of the 32's, but losing the 8's would make my archiving to DVD-DL a bit more clumsy. Anyone else heard anything about this from Sony or is it just poor labeling by B&H?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...B_SxS_PRO.html
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #36
Vortex Media

False

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I just looked on B&H this morning and it shows the 8gig SxS card as "Discontinued". Could this be true? I realize that there the 16gig cards might be dropping price due to the availability of the 32's, but losing the 8's would make my archiving to DVD-DL a bit more clumsy. Anyone else heard anything about this from Sony or is it just poor labeling by B&H?

Sony | SBP-8 8GB SxS PRO Memory Card | SBP-8 | B&H Photo Video
I checked with my contact at Sony who oversees tapes, discs, optical media, etc. and he says the rumor is false. The 8GB cards have not been discontinued --- that is, as of today. Anything can change at anytime.
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #37
Regular Crew

As both the EX1 and 3 are still being sold world wide, i would be hard pressed to believe sony would discontinue both the 8 and 16 gig SxS cards.

Then again, i have seen sony do some strange stuff in the past.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Interesting thread.. what about hoodman's adapter?

Who would even buy Sony SXS cards anymore though? when they have this:
RAW SxSxSDHC Memory Adapter-Hoodman Corporation

We've done extensive testing with the new memory adapter and the SDHC 16GB, class 6 chip. We found that 1920x1080 30p, 24p work fine for extended periods of shooting up to 1 hour on the 16GB.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben McElroy View Post
Who would even buy Sony SXS cards anymore though
- People doing 720p60 and 720p50
- People shooting slomo at 720p
- People who find it easier to give client (or archive) a BPAV burned to a DL-DVD-R
- People who have been spooked by SDHC
- People who find that 8 GB SxS are cheaper per megabyte than 16 GB SxS

Not everyone will find themselves in one of those categories, but hooray for choice, eh?
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Good points.. It's up to you to make the choice.
Its worked great for us and our workflow. We do mostly corporate production and don't really need the pass raw files to clients or shoot in over and under-crank modes.
If your looking for a cheap alternative to SxS its the way to go.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:09 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post

- People doing 720p60 and 720p50

Not everyone will find themselves in one of those categories, but hooray for choice, eh?
Is there a problem with shooting 720p50 or 60 using SDHC cards?

I have just shot over three hours of material in Wales using 720p50 using four 16gb Transcend cards each in their own Kingston 7 in 1 adapter. I can't see any fault in any of the clips.
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Is there a problem with shooting 720p50 or 60 using SDHC cards?

I have just shot over three hours of material in Wales using 720p50 using four 16gb Transcend cards each in their own Kingston 7 in 1 adapter. I can't see any fault in any of the clips.
Nope all i shoot is 720P50 works well.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I checked with my contact at Sony who oversees tapes, discs, optical media, etc. and he says the rumor is false. The 8GB cards have not been discontinued --- that is, as of today. Anything can change at anytime.
Doug, I just got an interesting response from B&H when I questioned their listing of the 8 gig SxS Sony card as "Discontinued". When I pointed out this discrepency, they wrote back with this:

"We would be carrying the 8GB card from SONY if it was available to us..."

Wonder if Sony is playing games with B&H? The rep did suggest getting the SanDisk card instead but since SanDisk doesn't even list their SxS cards on their site, have HAVE to wonder what's going on with these smaller cards.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #44
Major Player

Same here in Norway, the biggest retailers only stock the 32GB card now.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #45
Vortex Media

Almost true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
I've just been informed that as of today Sony are no longer doing the 8GB or 16GB SxS cards.
I just got confirmation from Sony that 8GB cards have been discontinued, although some resellers may have enough in stock to keep selling them awhile longer.

16GB cards have NOT been discontinued.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds