No more 8GB or 16GB SxS cards - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I just got confirmation from Sony that 8GB cards have been discontinued, although some resellers may have enough in stock to keep selling them awhile longer.

16GB cards have NOT been discontinued.
Doug, I hope it wasn't the same rep who told you that they were NOT discontinued a few days ago!! This stuff can drive 'ya crazy, 'ya know? ;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #47
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Doug, I hope it wasn't the same rep who told you that they were NOT discontinued a few days ago!! This stuff can drive 'ya crazy, 'ya know? ;-)
Actually it was the same rep, and that's why I originally wrote "that is, as of today. Anything can change at anytime" to cover my ass. He said he was expecting news from Japan this week, and it finally arrived.

I think it is a mistake to discontinue the 8GB cards. That is still the size I much prefer to shoot on. If the PXU-MS240 wasn't coming out in a month or two, I'd be tempted to stock up on a couple more 8GB cards while I could get them.
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #48
Major Player

I agree with you completely. I'm so broke right now that 8 gig cards are about all I can afford. However, if 16's come down to the same (or nearly same) price, I'd probably start using those instead. However, the 8's are SO easy to burn onto single-layer DVD's and I'm not as confident when doing backups onto DualLayer DVD's.
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #49
Major Player

Just noticed the Sandisk SxS 8 GB cards at B&H for $159.95. Hadn't realized they were available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1239/kw/SASBP8

Last edited by Mark OConnell; December 16th, 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added link
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I agree with you completely. I'm so broke right now that 8 gig cards are about all I can afford. However, if 16's come down to the same (or nearly same) price, I'd probably start using those instead. However, the 8's are SO easy to burn onto single-layer DVD's and I'm not as confident when doing backups onto DualLayer DVD's.
Per gigabyte the 8-gig cards are the best deal. It does mean having to swap them out twice as often but that might be a small price to pay for a substantial savings.

It also means that all the eggs aren't in one basket in the rare chance that something goes wrong.
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #51
Major Player

My thoughts exactly, Dean. GMTA. ;-)
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #52
Regular Crew

...And each 8GB card will fit exactly onto 1 dual-layer DVD for back-up...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds