Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:39 AM   #106
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Wow! Piotr - "That'salottagear!!" - how much does everything weigh including the shoulder mount as you have it configured in the pictures?
Well Barry - I guess some 7-8 kgs (including one 4x5.65" filter)...

Of course, I do have a possibility to mount the longer version of the RR handles (as per the pics I had posted earlier), and - with the counterweight battery moved some 10 cm to the back - the whole rig's natural position is more level. BUT, to use the HoodLoupe, I need to look up!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Well Barry - I guess some 7-8 kgs (including one 4x5.65" filter)...

Of course, I do have a possibility to mount the longer version of the RR handles (as per the pics I had posted earlier), and - with the counterweight battery moved some 10 cm to the back - the whole rig's natural position is more level. BUT, to use the HoodLoupe, I need to look up!
Wow - that is nearly 18 pounds (and I am assuming you are including the counterweight in the measurement)?

You might want to give my rig ( but the Pro version made for Mattboxes) a second look - you do not need a counterweight - I just use the back pad - the weight is distributed between your shoulder and the telescoping arm that fits in the belt around your waist - your hands have no weight on them and are not even needed for balancing the camera - I use them for ligtly touching the handles and now that I have all the remote controls on the handle, I never have to put my right hand up to camera level and my left hand is always free to hang by my side or make manual adjustments to the camera. And again - the HoodLoupe would be tilted UP keeping your face away from the fat body of the camera.

Here is the link: Shape WLB - SPIDER II PRO camera support - SS2200PRO
and also the belt: Shape WLB - The list of our products
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #108
Inner Circle

Thanks, Barry. But:

- first, there is a considerable price involved (for me at least, as you know I'm recovering from a serious surgery)

- second, when filming a person's face from short distance, you'd need to tilt your rig up quite a bit; nobody likes his face from the low angle!

- third, I'm not a great fan of abdomen supports, as they breath with you and sway when you walk!

PS. Yes, of course I counted the battery.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #109
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks, Barry. But:

- first, there is a considerable price involved (for me at least, as you know I'm recovering from a serious surgery)

- second, when filming a person's face from short distance, you'd need to tilt your rig up quite a bit; nobody likes his face from the low angle!

- third, I'm not a great fan of abdomen supports, as they breath with you and sway when you walk!

PS. Yes, of course I counted the battery.
Yes - I can see why it might not work in your situation but just to clarify (for others) - the telescopic arm is meant to be placed over a bony area like the hip-pelvis area so there is no problem with breathing. In using the belt the telescopic arm stays put but of course there is movement of the camera with walking, however this type of rig is not really meant to be used as a stabilization system like the steadicam etc.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #110
Major Player

Hi.
After having read all the posts and seen the various suggestions I think, maybe, I have settled on the Protech for my EX3. But just maybe. I love my camera, I really do, but I struggle with it handheld. On a tripod I love it, but if I am in a hurry and know I will be shooting handheld, I actually find myself picking up my GY-HD111 just because of the formfactor.

Then Panasonic came with a tempting offer on their HPX301, which already has a shouldermount, beacuse it is a shouldermount camera. And I have already tested the HM700, which was perfectly balanced and to mye eyes gave a great picture

So, should I sell my EX3, buy one of the others, or invest more in my EX3? I have come to the conclusion that buying the Protech would lead me to buy a V-lock battery and charger, but then again I already have two batteries for my EX3. And they are good enough for me.
I am even considering buying the AJA Ki-Pro and somehow mount that on the Protech instead of a battery.

What would you do? I am a little confused at the moment.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #111
Major Player

Shape WLB - entire line video

In case any of you want to see up close (very close) the entire Shape-WLB line of shoulder supports (not the newer pro line) - link to video: Shape WLB camera equipment #1 on Vimeo
I use the Spider 2 (with the telescopic arm).
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #112
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
Hi.
After having read all the posts and seen the various suggestions I think, maybe, I have settled on the Protech for my EX3. But just maybe. I love my camera, I really do, but I struggle with it handheld. On a tripod I love it, but if I am in a hurry and know I will be shooting handheld, I actually find myself picking up my GY-HD111 just because of the formfactor.

Then Panasonic came with a tempting offer on their HPX301, which already has a shouldermount, beacuse it is a shouldermount camera. And I have already tested the HM700, which was perfectly balanced and to mye eyes gave a great picture

So, should I sell my EX3, buy one of the others, or invest more in my EX3? I have come to the conclusion that buying the Protech would lead me to buy a V-lock battery and charger, but then again I already have two batteries for my EX3. And they are good enough for me.
I am even considering buying the AJA Ki-Pro and somehow mount that on the Protech instead of a battery.

What would you do? I am a little confused at the moment.
Svein, I recently had a lot of the same questions regarding the purchase of a shoulder mount for my new EX3. I realized after extensive research that I wanted a device that could sit balanced on my shoulder with a battery (Anton Baur) provideing the weight. But more importantly, I wanted to hold the camera with one hand on the zoom and one on the focus, as it was meant to be held for optimal control. The Protech ST-7 was my choice until I found it was very hard to buy in the US and way to costly with shipping. I found a similar design made by DM Accessories that does exactly what I wanted. I am very happy with it. My second choice would have been the WLB Spider Pro 2. Good luck with your decision.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
Svein, I recently had a lot of the same questions regarding the purchase of a shoulder mount for my new EX3. I realized after extensive research that I wanted a device that could sit balanced on my shoulder with a battery (Anton Baur) provideing the weight. But more importantly, I wanted to hold the camera with one hand on the zoom and one on the focus, as it was meant to be held for optimal control. The Protech ST-7 was my choice until I found it was very hard to buy in the US and way to costly with shipping. I found a similar design made by DM Accessories that does exactly what I wanted. I am very happy with it. My second choice would have been the WLB Spider Pro 2. Good luck with your decision.
That looks like a good shoulder mount for the EX3 (DM Accessories) (of course not for the EX1) but approximately how much of the weight is transferred to the shoulder vs. your hands - just from guestimating it looks like you still have a heavy load on your hand/arm even with the counterbalance of the Anton Bauer. I got the 4 lb counterweight with the Spider II but only use the backbrace since I use the telescopic arm for front support. With the counterweight there was definite shifting of weight to the shoulder but the front end of the camera still felt heavy. I just like having both hands/arms free of weight support altogether and the ability to control the camera with a Manfrotto remote mounted on one of the front handles.
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #114
Inner Circle

I'm very happy with my HD109A monitor, powered from a Tekkeon battery, when using the tripod, and I'm going to keep it.

However, I need advise on which of the 2 new upcoming Manhattan models (the HD071A or HD8900) I should pick to mount on the left handle of my RedRock shoulder mount, as depicted below with and without my current HD109A (too big as you can see)...

The HD071A would fit better and handle easier with this rig, while the HD8900 would certainly give me a better picture to focus on. Tough choice!

Comments welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc06528.jpg   Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc06522.jpg  

Old November 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #115
Major Player

Piotr,

I haven't been able to shoot at all for a couple of months because of a pinched nerve in my neck. This didn't happen overnight.

I would suggest the lighter version. I also find that reading glasses help a lot for critical focusing and they are very inexpensive.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #116
Inner Circle

Thanks John, but if I told you MY neck spine story (not connected with shooting video), you would consider me crazy even considering a rig like this:)

But well; at 55, how much more can I lose? Occupation or hobby being a passion, and life without a passion being worthless...
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #117
Major Player

Spider II pro, Ex3 and Sony Quick Release Plate?

The Spider II Pro appears to be a comfortable solution to the Sony Ex3 ergo issues. The manufacturer's web site indicates that it can be used with a quick release plate but there are no photos of its undercarriage and I would like to know if it can be attached to a Sony Quick Release plate? Anyone with experience in this arena?

Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #118
Major Player

I have a Spider II attached to a Manfrotto quick release plate like so: Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-004 - I have the plate attached to the bottom of the QRPro2 accessory shelf and the bottom poart of the Manfrotto adaptor directly to the Spider II - you can see a plastic know underneath- easy to loosen it up so you can slide it back and forth for different camera position.
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #119
Major Player

Hi and thank you for the photo but I'm not sure that we're on the same page. I have an Ex3 mounted to a VF Gadgets plate and would like to attach that combination to the Spider which I suspect is doable. But, without unmounting from the Spider, I would like to be able to retain the ability to attach the entire affair to a Sony Quick Release plate which is attached to a Sachtler tripod. That would require a "V" mount connection on the underside of the Spider and although I do have a spare VF Gadgets "V" mount, I do not know if the Spider is tapped for such an affair or its equivalent?

Last edited by Ron Wilk; November 6th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #120
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm very happy with my HD109A monitor, powered from a Tekkeon battery, when using the tripod, and I'm going to keep it.

However, I need advise on which of the 2 new upcoming Manhattan models (the HD071A or HD8900) I should pick to mount on the left handle of my RedRock shoulder mount, as depicted below with and without my current HD109A (too big as you can see)...

The HD071A would fit better and handle easier with this rig, while the HD8900 would certainly give me a better picture to focus on. Tough choice!

Comments welcome
EX users, please provide us with your input in this thread re: under 7" monitors:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sdtv-hdt...kan-v5600.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds