Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
Your shoulder support is interesting. But is puts me off since I will not be able to put the camera in my bag anymore with that brace attached. I don`t like to put things together when I am on a shoot, since a lot of my work is documentary and need to move in a hurry.
You're right, most people won't be able to leave the camera attached when they put it in its case. The VSB1 and VSB3 are inexpensive and simple solutions to to make the cameras more user-friendly, but obviously they can't meet the needs of everyone.
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #17
Vortex Media

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why have you stopped using your disc- based cam and starting shooting on the EX3 instead? I am actually starting to regret I did`nt buy the 335 instead , also for arcival reasons. I think my EX3 is looking more and more like something out of the movie Transformers.

I guess the next EX3 will have more of a form factor like the JVC HM700. The EX3 is an excellent camera but it has its flaws when it comes to design. Why did Sony look to Canon in designing?
Good question. I don't know why Sony chose to go with this particular design for the EX3, but I don't mind it. I wish the viewfinder would fold down, but that's my only complaint about the shape.

I stopped using my F350 because I like the picture quality of the EX3 better. I prefer a shoulder-mount camera and I prefer shooting on optical disc, but I was willing to give up those features of the F350 for the better picture quality.

BTW, I'm selling my F350 if anybody is interested. It's in mint condition with not a scratch or speck of dust on it.
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #18
Major Player

Doug, in what way do you feel that the EX3 is better than your 350 when it comes to picture quality?

I could be interested in your camera. You can send me a PM and we can take it from there.

Thanks

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
This looks interesting but having two handles doesn't leave an hand free unless you have an extra arm.
Redrock microShoulderMount
Cavision makes something similar with two handles: EX1 Accessories

I have been using the Century/Vocas mattebox on my EX1 which includes a flip-out shoulder brace. It's not perfect, but I'm learning to like it:

DVMB W/A KIT 15MM SUPPORT EX1 - Schneider Optics
Attached Images

Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Vortex Media

Quote:
Doug, in what way do you feel that the EX3 is better than your 350 when it comes to picture quality?
It's hard to explain the difference in words, but, in my opinion, the EX3's picture is cleaner, brighter, and crisper looking than the F350. I also prefer shooting full 1920 instead of 1440 anamorphic.I'm not saying the F350 is bad, I'm just saying that for what I shoot, the EX3 looks better to me.

I'll PM you about the camera.
Thanks.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
This looks interesting but having two handles doesn't leave an hand free unless you have an extra arm.
Redrock microShoulderMount
I too have never been impressed with handles. I don't know about anyone else. But I need two hands to operate the camera.

However, I'm plan on putting together something for my EX1 with this setup. With the Hoodman Hoodloupe setup I'm hoping I can mount the camera directly on the shoulder mount and not need the rails at all. It depends on how far forward I can get the camera.

Even if I need some short rails, I'm ditching the handles.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
However, I'm plan on putting together something for my EX1 with this setup. With the Hoodman Hoodloupe setup I'm hoping I can mount the camera directly on the shoulder mount and not need the rails at all. It depends on how far forward I can get the camera.
I'm afraid it won't work, Brett - with this shoulder mount, the camera is simply too high when put on your shoulder (for best balance), for its LCD to be usable (with or without a loupe).

The only way of using it with the EX1 is a separate monitor (and a remote on the handle).
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
From the pictures I see on your website, the brace looks like it is only attached by the tripod screw. How do you stop it from swiveling on its axis and can you attach a quick release plate to it?
If you're on the move, you need the quick release plate. I added an RRS QR plate as I already had their camcorder foot and another plate. If only their camcorder plate were longer ...
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #24
Major Player

That does bring up a point - Doug can your shoulder mount be used while you have a quick release plate attached to the cam - I leave my Miller plate on as a default. As a doc maker, I have to move pretty fast sometimes.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #25
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
That does bring up a point - Doug can your shoulder mount be used while you have a quick release plate attached to the cam
It depends which model you are using. The VSB1 shoulder brace for the EX1, Z7U, Z1U, etc. will allow you to keep your tripod quick release plate attached at all times. No problem.

However, the VSB3 shoulder brace, which is designed only to be used with the EX3, does not allow you to keep your quick release plate attached -- unless you are able to find a screw that has the right length and the right head shape to go through the quick-release plate, through the shoulder brace, and into the camera. I have not been able to locate a screw that will work properly.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

In case anyone is wondering why there are two models, I'll explain.

The EX3's viewfinder is located on the side of the camera instead of at the rear as it is on the EX1. If the VSB1 did not shift the EX1 over so it sits in front of the cameraman's face, it would be in front of the shoulder instead your right eye. However, this shifting isn't needed on the EX3 because the viewfinder is already situated to the left of the camera body.

These two photos illustrate the difference better than I could say in words.

http://www.vortexmedia.com/images/VSB3_A_med.jpg
http://www.vortexmedia.com/images/VSB1_photo5L.jpg

The shoulder brace the Phil talks about in his blog does not seem to address this issue, and therefore, might not work too well with an EX1.

Like I said earlier, the VSB1 and VSB3 are inexpensive solutions for making the camera easier to hand-hold, but they wouldn't be the right choice for everyone.
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Put me down for the RedRock

We've only had it out on three or four shoots - mostly run and gun documentary stuff - but so far I'm super impressed with the RedRock shoulder mount.

It's very solid on the shoulder, especially with a battery or monitor on the back, and the handles offer a very steady and comfortable feel. I was a little concerned at first about the ability to handle the set-up one-handed, so the other hand can be there for focus, zoom, white balance, etc., but the ability to move the camera front and back on the rails allows you to dial in a balance point, making it easy to operate the camera with either hand and support with the other. And when you don't need a hand on the camera, its rock solid and comfortable.

Added bonus, the quick releases make for super quick break down and all fits with room to spare in my Kata CC-196.

Sorry to sound like a RR commercial here. But $$ were tight and I was a little nervous about being sure we bought exactly what we needed. I did a lot of research and definitly feel like the RR gives us the best bang for the buck.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I'm afraid it won't work, Brett - with this shoulder mount, the camera is simply too high when put on your shoulder (for best balance), for its LCD to be usable (with or without a loupe).
Really. Have you tried it? Look at the attached picture, it looks like I might have to tilt the LCD down a bit but I think it would work.
Attached Thumbnails
Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-shouldermount_redrock.jpg  
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #28
Major Player

On second thought, with a tripod plate and receiver, I think it will get too high. The only way is if I could mount the tripod plate receiver directly to the shoulder mount baseplate without their plate. Hmmm. Looks like a call to Redrock.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
On second thought, with a tripod plate and receiver, I think it will get too high. The only way is if I could mount the tripod plate receiver directly to the shoulder mount baseplate without their plate. Hmmm. Looks like a call to Redrock.
With the camera approx. 3" above the shoulder and close enough to look through the HoodLoupe (LCD tilted down) my face was sort of squished next to the body of the camera (and I have a fairly thin face) and it was quite uncomfortable and never could get a proper seal of the eyecup with my eye (was just trying to see how it would be like with the Redrock Shoulder Mount).
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Really. Have you tried it? Look at the attached picture, it looks like I might have to tilt the LCD down a bit but I think it would work.
I haven't got the Hoodman loupe, but I do have and use Redrock microShoulderMount - and I can tell you again, that you must put the camera much further back than on the photo you posted. Just look at the girl and her rig - where is she shooting? Certainly not level... The rig with camera as depicted, is much too front-heavy.

Now imagine the camera right over her shoulder, and add some QR plate in-between it and the shoulder mount post; to use the LCD she would have to look up at some 35-45 degrees.

If I find some time tomorrow, I'll post some pics of my rig to show you my point.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; September 16th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds