Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Hudson View Post
Ok, so, i see the link to the Opteka support....and freak out.....I ordered one right away. For $30 how can you go wrong? If I don't like it, it's not like I'm out a bunch of money. It never hurts to have options. I already have a wrist shot that works wonderfully, however, the arm still gets very tired. For wakeboarding, the wrist shot is awesome. For other scenarios this Opteka is awesome! On top of that I'll probably still get a really nice shoulder mount as well. Those generally leave my arms tired but seem to work better than the opteka or wrist shot for walking and shooting. Different tools for different scenarios. It never hurts to be prepared.
I am nervous about buying from 47th Street Photo (I was there years ago and didn't like their attitude), yet I cannot find this device anywhere else including on the Opteka website. Does it actually say Opteka on the device? Was there a problem ordering from 47th Street photo? No one else seems to sell it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #92
Regular Crew

I too was a little nervous about it. However, like i said, 30 dollars is not a huge loss. As long as I get it in the mail then fine. If I never receive it then I'll call the Credit Card Company and report fraud. If it's a POS, then I got what I paid for. But even if I get just one use out of it, it will pay for itself. After hearing someone else say they ordered a couple and they worked. I tend to trust people on this board a little, so I guess we will see. They seem to have a good approval rating on Amazon. Attitude I could care less about. I have other stores I usually route my purchases through so this is more of a one off purchase.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #93
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
Can you post a picture with you and the Hoodman/RR combo? It would be much appreciated.

Brett Sherman
I realize I owe some more feedback to you, Brett, and perhaps many other reading this thread. Unfortunately, I'm in no position now to have photos taken of myself actually using the rig. Instead, I'll reiterate that:

- with the rig as depicted earlier in this thread, there is a QR plate between the RR shoulder mount pad and the camera. For me it's a must, as I often change configurations, putting the camera on the tripod with or without my Letus, then back again on the shoulder mount. However, this added height makes the use of Hoodman lupe just barely possible - certainly not optimal, and far from convenient.

- that said, if somebody is planning to put his EX1 on the RR shoulder mount more or less permanently, it's possible to fix it directly to the shoulder pad (using the typical screw and Allen key provided). In this configuration (I have just tried it so that I could take responsibility for what I'm posting here), using the Hoodman loupe is absolutely possible, as it becomes *almost* horizontal.

I hope this helps in making up your minds. I shall add however that if I could start all over again, I'd buy something more like Barry's Spider II, and possibly a smaller / lighter matte box for my shoulder-supported shooting. All my RR stuff is only perfect when used in the tripod configuration, which luckily is 90% of all my work.

Piotr
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #94
Major Player

I just ordered the Sumo Shoulder Mount and Counterbalance from Shape WLB - Camera supports and equipment. They let me order the individual parts so it only came to $250 with shipping. I tested the fit by setting a 3/4" piece of plywood on my shoulder to check the height.

I'm probably going to shorten the plate so it ends right under the EX1 and doesn't stick out. I might try to rig up a single handle centered on the camera. I never quite understood the desire for two handles. It looks cool, but if you use one it's off balance. If you use two, you need a camera assistant to follow you around to focus.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #95
Inner Circle

Quote:
. I might try to rig up a single handle centered on the camera. I never quite understood the desire for two handles. It looks cool, but if you use one it's off balance. If you use two, you need a camera assistant to follow you around to focus.
This why my right handle is positioned under the camera (almost), while the left one is offset for steadier shooting. Using the Follow Focus knob and other controls with my left hand, I can hold the camera with my right hand quite steady, but for a limited period of time.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 1st, 2009 at 02:29 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM   #96
Regular Crew

will update everyone on the "opteka" version tomorrow as it is due to come in.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM   #97
Regular Crew

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE PRICE THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

It's not super plush or anything when it comes to comfort but the mount does it's job well. The flat plate as seen in the video with Phil is kinda jacked but I quickly figured out that using the riser adapter instead is the way to go. It puts my LCD right at eye-level. I don't really use the EVF anymore since buying my Hoodman H400 Hood. I have to say I was a little anxious about if it would work good or not but I am 100% satisfied with my purchase as dirt cheap as it is. I will be showing my friend, who also has an EX1, this mount. We both are doing a Music Festival and this shoulder mount will come in handy. I own the Hoodman Wrist Shot, however, it takes the strain off the wrist, but it does not fix the arm fatigue problem. This leaves my arms feeling unworked! I paid for 2 day shipping on this and still only paid 35 dollars total. Highly recommended by me for a budget shoulder mount that works excellent!
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM   #98
Major Player

EasyRig Turtle

A couple of pages ago I suggested the EasyRig Turtle as a better option than shoulder mounts for the EXs. The benefits are obvious and well described on their website. The cheapest version is the Turtle, designed for small cameras, but the EX1 needs the Turtle X (strong). Yesterday at a rental place I tested the Turtle and decided against it. It works as described, nicely taking the weight of the camera so leaving your hands free. You can change from high shot to low shot without the restrictions that a lot of shoulder mounts impose. However I'm tall (182 cm) and the Turtle is designed specifically for the average person. To get the pole clearing my head the belt had to be about my waist (should be on hips) and while usable the fit was loose and wobbly. Did that matter? Strictly in terms of taking the weight of the camera it didn't, but as soon as I walked the pole wobbled and this affected the camera. Seemed to me that the EX1 with extras was stretching the capabilities of the Turtle and I would need the EasyRig 2.5 (firm fitting vest and adjustable pole). Unfortunately a lot more expensive, but will carry the sort of load represented by Piotr's rig (see photo from website). I'm a bit disappointed; lesson: as always, try before you buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-easyrig.jpg  
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM   #99
Inner Circle

Serena,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us!

This is exactly what I thought when seeing the EasiRig webpage. BTW, their solution to avoid hanging a heavy rig by the camera handle is use the FigRig in between... This, plus EasyRig 2.5, would definitely be too expensive and bulky for me!

Nathan,

Are you saying you can use the HoodLoupe with the 'opteka' mount? Some pics, please :)
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM   #100
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Hudson View Post
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE PRICE THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

It's not super plush or anything when it comes to comfort but the mount does it's job well. The flat plate as seen in the video with Phil is kinda jacked but I quickly figured out that using the riser adapter instead is the way to go. It puts my LCD right at eye-level. I don't really use the EVF anymore since buying my Hoodman H400 Hood. I have to say I was a little anxious about if it would work good or not but I am 100% satisfied with my purchase as dirt cheap as it is. I will be showing my friend, who also has an EX1, this mount. We both are doing a Music Festival and this shoulder mount will come in handy. I own the Hoodman Wrist Shot, however, it takes the strain off the wrist, but it does not fix the arm fatigue problem. This leaves my arms feeling unworked! I paid for 2 day shipping on this and still only paid 35 dollars total. Highly recommended by me for a budget shoulder mount that works excellent!
I thought the "Opteka" looked familiar - I bought that around 9 months ago (different name then - probably "made in China" but marketed under different brand names) for around the same price at the time when Phil Bloom was giving it a good rating - in fact, there is an entire thread on this mount in the "other forum" titled "El Cheapo shoulder support arrived today" - 5 pages long and started February 2008. I used it a couple of times - been sitting on the shelf ever since. I found it to be so lightweight and narrow that I was worried about it slipping off my shoulder (that is the reason for the shoulder harness). It also would move while breathing and I would end up holding my breath during shots. I was also wary about how it connected to the camera - seemed rather tenuous. IMHO trusting this device on a 6K camera + accessories is risky - but that may be my conseratism showingthrough. Here is a review from "Basspig" on the "other forum" : http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...7&postcount=44 - hope I am not committing heresy here but it is good to look at the 5 page thread on the other forum - everybody was really excited about it at first but then...
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:07 AM   #101
Inner Circle

Didn't I write the same?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1371917-post55.html

:)
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #102
Major Player

There are a few occasions I need a shoulder mount - but I am very limited in what I can carry as I travel mostly to remote places. The rigs I tested were too large to include in my bags and took too long to set up for me.
I just practiced with the Opteka cheapo and in it's defence, I think it's a worthwhile compromise. It is small enough to fit in my camera bag with my Ex3 and superfast to use if you attach a QR plate. Now as to the breathing problem, maybe it's my 30 years in martial arts, but when I breathe only my lower belly moves - I do not use my chest to breathe, so for me the cheapo is steady. Also it is better to bend your body to tilt rather than lowering or raising your hands, instead I adopt a wider leg stance and bend my knees and find this is more stable than using my arms.
It's a very subjective problem with shoulder mounts. I have bought $800 rigs and been unhappy and who would think that spending $30 would make me smile!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM   #103
Inner Circle

Quote:
Can you post a picture with you and the Hoodman/RR combo? It would be much appreciated.

Brett Sherman
Brett, here are some pictures you requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc01460.jpg   Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3-dsc01457.jpg  

Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM   #104
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
You sure did - sounds like we had the exact same experience.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Brett, here are some pictures you requested.
Wow! Piotr - "That'salottagear!!" - how much does everything weigh including the shoulder mount as you have it configured in the pictures?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds