DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Tiffen T1 IR is available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/465838-tiffen-t1-ir-available.html)

Leonard Levy October 15th, 2009 03:50 PM

Tiffen T1 IR is available

The Tiffen solution to red contamination in the blacks on the Ex-1 is finally available. I just got my complimentary gift in the mail for helping them figure out the problem.
I got my 77mm filter with threads on both sides so it can be coupled inside a Letus type adapter. I haven't checked to see if that fits inside the EX-1 hood but I think a single filter usually does. The default sale could be for a slimline filter with only threads on one side so ask before you purchase.

If my camera ever comes back from repair I'll be able to test it. But the prototype worked so I'm sure this does.

Its light green so you will need to color balance through it.

I don't see it on the B&H site yet but I do at Able Cine- only $69

Tiffen 77mm T1 IR Filter :: Camera Accessories :: New Arrivals :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

Michael Sims October 15th, 2009 06:45 PM

Is there any benefit from using the Tiffen over the B+W 486 other than the B+W costs about 2.5 times more?

Leonard Levy October 15th, 2009 08:29 PM

Major advantage to the Tiffen ,
Because its a simple dye based absorption filter it doesn't vignette and treats light from all angles equally.
The 486 is expensive because it relies on a special reflective coating that doesn't deal with light evenly that enters from the sides. Hence you get a green vignette when using even a slightly wide angle lens. This is a huge limitation. Also you can't stack it behind another filter because of reflection problems.

IMHO the Tiffen filter is a perfect solution to the Far Red contamination issue on the EX-1 and should be purchased by everyone who owns the camera. Thank god its cheap.

(Caveat that I haven't actually tried my own yet - but the prototype was perfect.)

Steve Shovlar October 16th, 2009 02:31 AM

Abel Cinetech are useless for us overseas buyers. They are afraid of Jonny Foriegner and won't sell outside the USA. Talk about losing sales!

Anyone know where the rest of the world can pick one up? I need this urgently as I run into this problem on an almost daily basis and have been waiting patiently for this to come out.

B&H don't yet have it.

Paul Kellett October 16th, 2009 03:00 AM

I've seen the filter, i had one in my hand at the IOV show, i saw it on the tiffen stand, they weren't on display, i asked about it and the guy went behind the stand and got it.
The model number on the packet is
77mm TI IR filter W77IR, the price was £97 plus vat.
The filter was very very thin.

I also found out some news about the EX1R, but that thread's closed !!

Paul.

Steve Shovlar October 16th, 2009 03:08 AM

Hi Paul, I was at the IOV show on Wednesday all day and spent some time at the Tiffen stand. It never crossed my mind they would have one there. But $69 compared to £97+VAT= ripoff!

I could order one from B&H, pay duty and still be cheaper than that.

Alister Chapman October 16th, 2009 03:09 AM

Try TopTeks.

Steve Shovlar October 16th, 2009 03:16 AM

Just rang them they are getting back to me after calling Tiffen.

EDIT. OK Top Teks have just got back to me. they spoke to Tiffen and they will be in available from next week. I have ordered one in and the price is £60 + VAT. So not bad.

Mentioned your name Alistair to them so they owe you a drink! Hopfully mentioning them is not against forum rules, as I don't think there is a UK seller advertising on DVI at the moment.

Paul Kellett October 16th, 2009 03:50 AM

£60 + vat ! nice one chaps, i'll be getting a couple soon then.

Cheers, Paul.

Barry J. Weckesser October 16th, 2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1433185)
I also found out some news about the EX1R, but that thread's closed !!

Paul.

Paul - how about starting your own thread about EX1R - I know the other thread was closed because B&H said they had a beaurocractic snafu and "that was that" BUT in gathering more information about the topic there was the top exec from Abel Cine who had contacted the Sony rep and it was indicated that changes were coming - perhaps in January. Also EC Junior found out some info but couldn't post it.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you found out unless speculation of that nature is frowned upon - ? keeping Sony's proprietary secrets

Leonard Levy October 16th, 2009 11:29 AM

Tiffen gave me two other references

Filmtools in LA - Aaron or Jim Martin - 818-845-8066

or E.C. Professional in NY (212) 333-5570

Marc Myers October 16th, 2009 01:51 PM

I just started a thread in the Area 51 forum for the EX1R. I figure that's the place we should discuss until there's something official.

Kevin Spahr October 16th, 2009 05:28 PM

I ordered one as soon as I seen the first post, it just shipped...

John Peterson October 17th, 2009 07:40 AM

My daughter picked one up for me at AbleCine late yesterday. She was quite impressed with the place. Said they were very helpful. In fact they wanted to close a half hour early when she called, but they waited for her to get there before they closed. Can't beat that.

John

Mike Marriage October 17th, 2009 12:37 PM

I can't overstate how essential this filter is. I now have a 77mm screw on and will be on the camera for everything I shoot with an EX3.

Barry J. Anwender October 17th, 2009 12:47 PM

Still waiting on B&H to make it available for us international customers. No sign of them offering it as of yet???

Dean Harrington October 18th, 2009 09:26 PM

adorama ...

sent a heads-up to adorama as well as they ship international.

Kevin Spahr October 19th, 2009 11:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I received my filter today and did a quick test.
I did a white balance on the scene and took a frame, then attached the filter and took a frame, finally I did a white balance with the filter attached for the final frame. I used tungsten lights and locked the iris based on the bare setup. There is a black fabric background about 12" behind the hat and sweater.

The blacks look very close to the way they look to the eye. It may not be a perfect solution but for the price I'm quite happy with it.

Leonard Levy October 19th, 2009 12:22 PM

Why is this not a perfect solution? Only because you need to white balance ?

Kevin Spahr October 19th, 2009 01:17 PM

Maybe I should have used a different word. I think Sony should have caught this problem before releasing the camera. I would love to hear Sony's explanation for this, who knows, maybe there is a good reason for it.

I've only had it a short time but it seems to have a slight effect on the other colors.
I guess this could be tweaked by using the adjustments in the camera, haven't try this yet.

I always prefer to white balance before shooting that's not the problem for me. I just wanted to see how the filter colored the scene - that was the only purpose for the shot with no white balance.

Don't get me wrong, I would recommend this filter and I certainly can't complain about the price!

Steve Shovlar October 19th, 2009 01:42 PM

Looking at those three pics, it seems to do what it is meant to. Excellent.

Marcus Durham October 19th, 2009 03:38 PM

Looks great. I had someone wearing a cheap black synthetic fleece a few weeks back and the zip remained jet black while the fleece was brown! So to see that fleece black is great!

I emailed Creative Video in the UK to see if they would have these in stock on Friday but am yet to get a reply. Anyone know of a UK supplier who actually has them?

Steve Shovlar October 19th, 2009 04:10 PM

Marcus, I spoke to them yesterday and like a lot of UK dealers they won't get it in stock unless they have to. They will get one in for you when you order one.

Bob Grant October 19th, 2009 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Using Vegas with a mask I isolated just the red swatch on the clapper from the screenshots posted above. The RGB parades attached give an extremely crude idea of what this filter is doing. The red swatch is no doubt not an extremely deep red, if it was then at a guess I'd say the amount of red sensitivity being lost would be more dramatic.

The results are also probably skewed by the gloss finish on the red swatch reflecting white light.

Marcus Durham October 20th, 2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar (Post 1434810)
Marcus, I spoke to them yesterday and like a lot of UK dealers they won't get it in stock unless they have to. They will get one in for you when you order one.

Sadly this seems to be quite common with most slightly out of the ordinary products from UK dealers these days. I'm finding it remarkably common of late that I order a product only to find that the supplier then has to order it in from their own supplier meaning lead times of 2 weeks +.

Steve Shovlar October 20th, 2009 01:16 AM

Shows how all these dealers are struggling in the recession. They have battened down the hatches and have had a very rough time as we hang on to our gear. they won't spend a penny they don't have to.

Marcus Durham October 20th, 2009 05:00 AM

Just spoke to Creative video in the UK. They don't have them in yet and they say Tiffen UK aren't supplying them. They'll give me a bell as soon as they have news.

They also said that in the past they've found the lead time with Tiffen filters tends to be about a month from US release.

Dean Harrington October 24th, 2009 05:14 PM

Seems a bust ...

I heard from Adorama that they can't help on getting the tiffen T1 IR filter. Heard back from B&H they don't have it. Seems strange ... these kinds of responses. Are people getting this filter from Abel Cine delivered? Their site just says call. Still they don't deliver outside the country so I have to rely on B&H and Adorama for my gear ... bitch that.

Andy Shipsides October 24th, 2009 10:43 PM

Andy from AbelCineTech here. If you are trying to get the filter from us and live overseas then drop me a line. There has been a great deal of fraud in the past and we had to raise additional security. I hate to hear that people are frustrated with our service, and I hope you can understand our stance.

BTW I've heard that the EX1R and PMW350 do not have issues with far red. I'll be testing the T1 filter and comparing as soon as I can.

Dean Harrington October 25th, 2009 12:33 AM

Andy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1437471)
Andy from AbelCineTech here. If you are trying to get the filter from us and live overseas then drop me a line. There has been a great deal of fraud in the past and we had to raise additional security. I hate to hear that people are frustrated with our service, and I hope you can understand our stance.

BTW I've heard that the EX1R and PMW350 do not have issues with far red. I'll be testing the T1 filter and comparing as soon as I can.

I've sent you an email with the details of how AbelCine's concerns can be laid to rest. Most of us out in the hinterlands buy in the US (in my case, sometimes goods made in Japan) because the equipment comes available quickly and is competitively priced. If a person/company is PayPal verified and has a good payment record ... you can assume they will follow through as they have done in the past. Up front PayPal payment can be secured by AbelCine sending a payment invoice first and have the buyer pay before delivery of an item. This payment system works very well.
Another N.Y.C. competitor of yours requires the front and back of a credit card sent via email or fax and checks to see if that card is legitimate. That works quite well and I've been doing things with that company (which shall remain un-named) for many years without a hitch. Hope this helps.

Max Allen October 25th, 2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1434661)
I received my filter today and did a quick test.
I did a white balance on the scene and took a frame, then attached the filter and took a frame, finally I did a white balance with the filter attached for the final frame. I used tungsten lights and locked the iris based on the bare setup. There is a black fabric background about 12" behind the hat and sweater.

The blacks look very close to the way they look to the eye. It may not be a perfect solution but for the price I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for the pictures. It'd be nice to see some frames of fleshtones if anybody feels the urge to post them. I'm seeing more green than I'd like in the midtones (the grey chips) after white balance.

Cheers

Dean Harrington October 26th, 2009 09:48 PM

andy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1437471)

I've sent off 3 emails in the last 3 days on the matter of buying through Abel Cine tech and have not received a response from you to any of these emails. I know you are out of stock (that's the impression I get) as a result of demand. Let me know if Abel Cine is going to afford us out of country buyers an opportunity of doing business with you.
all the best

Lance Librandi October 26th, 2009 09:58 PM

Hello All,
Just received my Tiffen T1 IR Filter and I have tested it and bugger me it actually works good bye to the IR contamination. I could not use my EX3 in the past for stage production work under QI lighting now it’s great.
I got my filter from “Greg Smith’s Photo and Video Accessories” TiffenFilters.com.au in Australia.

Dean Harrington October 26th, 2009 10:16 PM

Lucky ...

Hope other companies get stock in soon. I have the same problem with IR when shooting jazz performances.

Peter Moretti October 28th, 2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1434814)
Using Vegas with a mask I isolated just the red swatch on the clapper from the screenshots posted above. The RGB parades attached give an extremely crude idea of what this filter is doing. The red swatch is no doubt not an extremely deep red, if it was then at a guess I'd say the amount of red sensitivity being lost would be more dramatic.

The results are also probably skewed by the gloss finish on the red swatch reflecting white light.

Bob,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looking at the RGB parade, we can see how the filter has a bias for passing green light, less for blue and much less (relatively speaking) for red. Besides skewing the color balance a little, it also loses about a half a stop or more overall.

That said, it cerainly makes the synthetic black look much better.

Mark Savage October 28th, 2009 08:16 AM

Just got my filter from Abel Cine in New York. Burbank didn't have one.

Did some tests. Quite effective. Happy with it.

Andy Shipsides October 31st, 2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 1438322)
I've sent off 3 emails in the last 3 days on the matter of buying through Abel Cine tech and have not received a response from you to any of these emails. I know you are out of stock (that's the impression I get) as a result of demand. Let me know if Abel Cine is going to afford us out of country buyers an opportunity of doing business with you.
all the best

Hey Dean

I've assigned a sales person to respond to all of these requests. I'm sorry that she has not reached out to you. I'll look in to what happened.

Andy

Dean Harrington October 31st, 2009 10:21 AM

Andy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1440696)
Hey Dean

I've assigned a sales person to respond to all of these requests. I'm sorry that she has not reached out to you. I'll look in to what happened.

Andy

Got in touch ... thanks

Piotr Wozniacki October 31st, 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

I've assigned a sales person to respond to all of these requests.

Andy

Andy,
Thanks for the e-mail :)

Piotr

Andrew Stone November 1st, 2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Hey Dean

Andy

Andy,

Living in Canada, I phoned and left a message on your voicemail mid-this past week about ordering a TIFFEN T1 IR and have not received a response. Have you assigned this to a sales rep as well or should I phone again?

-Andrew Stone