More Transcend Nonsense - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #31
Inner Circle

"It only seems to be an issue with certain brands of cards that seem to remain popular despite people noting problems. The fact is (and I keep on saying this) there seems to be alot of people having problems with Transcend cards."

That may also be due to the ownership skew caused by more people buying the $40 Transcend 16GB class 6 cards than the $110 Sandisk Extreme III 16GB cards or cheaper Sandisk Ultra II cards.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #32
Major Player

Jonathan I feel for you. I want your project to be a success but hey man you are pushing your luck. Please just use one card at a time. No interview is so important that you cannot break after 57 minutes to change cards. Good luck I hope your problems can be resolved. SxS to SDHC is a no no i think from reading other posts here.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
SxS to SDHC is a no no i think from reading other posts here.
I asked that question before about continued recording from an SxS card to a ATP SDHC card and got this answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Yes, I mix SxS and SDHC cards on LONG continuous shoots all the time. No problems. Ingest time is much better (of course) with SxS so I use these first and then use SDHC cards with adapters when I run out of SxS cards.
So far, I've had no problems, perhaps I shouldn't do it.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
"It only seems to be an issue with certain brands of cards that seem to remain popular despite people noting problems. The fact is (and I keep on saying this) there seems to be alot of people having problems with Transcend cards."

That may also be due to the ownership skew caused by more people buying the $40 Transcend 16GB class 6 cards than the $110 Sandisk Extreme III 16GB cards or cheaper Sandisk Ultra II cards.
Possible. But also note that many people who have been using Transcends for a year or so report no problems. From what I've been able to see, the problems started with cards purchased from about June/July onwards.

Seems to me that if you have cards that are 6 months old you'll swear by them, newer than 6 months and you'll end up swearing at them.
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #35
Major Player

well said....as the 2 16gb Transends that I got in Jan 09...work great....the one 16gb card that I got back in Oct 09...it does take 7- 9 sec to do "red to green" and I have had "media restore" several times....so I think you are right.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Possible. But also note that many people who have been using Transcends for a year or so report no problems. From what I've been able to see, the problems started with cards purchased from about June/July onwards.
Agreed. The product may have changed. I also think that some of the confusion has to do with red (MLC) and green (SLC) striped products, although I myself have had some problems with both green-striped units. The odd thing is that both of my Sony EX1 "media restore" errors took place in the same video session, so I doubt it is random failure. The same session did not have trouble with a Sandisk Extreme III SDHC.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds