Airline Carry On bag for the Sony EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Airline Carry On bag for the Sony EX3

hello all....

I know that this topic has been talked about...but I am starting a large video project this month which involves air travel as I have the Porta Brace CTC-1B carry bag for my EX3 ...but I think its too big for the over head bin. So any idea's on what to look into getting for air travel?

thanks
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Trustee

I used a Kata 197 bag on my trip to Africa. It was tight but I managed to fit in: Ex3, hard drive, two spare batteries, Sony charger, filter, Adaptimax mount, 300mm Nikkor lens, Sony recorder, Rode Mike, X2 wireless mikes. Memory cards and other small accessories, including a toothbrush. I removed all the inside pockets and padding.

I do not recommend the Kata 197 as an ideal bag for this camera, but it allowed me to take on my gear as hand luggage. Once in Africa I transferred my gear to a more secure bag.

btw. I travelled with Virgin airlines.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Not to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in tips for carrying 2 EX3 cameras in one case, not just for onboard but also for general production situations.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I carred on the CTC-1 on a 737-800 aircraft. Here are the details w/ pictures: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1325361
Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Strut GTC-3

Bill,

I use the Strut bag for all my travels. Not so good for overhead in RJs but everywhere else it fits fine. It holds cam,fuji lens, media and Nano. More if I had small items that couldn't go in the Storm Case I check.

Dave
Dave Nystul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I purchased a Porta Brace Carry-on for my EX350 and I know they make one that fits the EX3. One of the best bags I have ever purchased. After three flights with the bag and many days in the field it is a gem. Check it out you won't be disappointed.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Major Player

I just found the new page on the Petrol site for their inflatable camera bag. If I was flying on an airline with small carry-on bag size requirements I would definitely get this one...

PIAB | petrolbags.com
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin View Post
hello all....

I know that this topic has been talked about...but I am starting a large video project this month which involves air travel as I have the Porta Brace CTC-1B carry bag for my EX3 ...but I think its too big for the over head bin. So any idea's on what to look into getting for air travel?

thanks
IF you were flying from CANADA:
Transport Canada now permits one small carry-on bag for airline passengers who are travelling to the United States. This carry-on bag must not exceed a size of 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9 in x 16 in x 22 in), which is equivalent to the size of a small gym bag. The carry-on bag must fit into an airport’s carry-on baggage sizer.
My EX1 fits nicely into a Kata 195 i believe, but the EX3 is a bigger camera.
Be careful or you may have to put your camera into checked luggage as i did recently on a trip to the US. Put it in a Pelican case just to be sure.

Last edited by Bob Jackson; March 2nd, 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: change ex1 to ex3 name
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Bob, thanks for the reminder about the one carry on bag limitation from Canada to the US. I subconsciously processed that restriction as a waking dream. Only one carry on is going to make it a lot more difficult to travel with the usual litany of gear and computing devices.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Major Player

I like Kata and use the 197 for my Ex3. But recently the airlines have stopped me taking this on the plane - even though at a squeeze it fits the overheads. they have really clamped down and its not worth the risk anymore.
There is a new Kata back pack specifically for the Ex3 - check their site for this. I will never check my camera - I lose my bags way too often for this. Last flight I had to hand-carry my Ex3 with no bag on to the plane!!
Travelling for a photographer is really getting to suck these days.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Major Player

The Kata backpack you speak of is very big. It's a good unit but I would not assume you would get it on board a plane, in North America at least, with the reduced carry on sizes and limits now in place.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Inner Circle

For airline carry on I use a Petrol PCCB 2N. It works fine and meets the necessary dimensions - just a touch tight unless you remove the mic clamp (which I've permanently removed anyway as I use a better system). It definitely goes in the overheads on typical jets but there is not a lot of room for much else in it (and not my MBP).

I posted about this on here some time ago including pictures (if I can find the link I'll add it). There are some pictures of my EX3 in this bag hidden away in a little used part of my website too. That reminds me, I need to update a lot of those photos!

SHOOTING IMAGE PHOTOS
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #13
New Boot

Portabrace Case Options

Hi Bill,

My name is Chris and I work here at Porta-Brace in Vermont. First of all, thank you for using the CTC-1, to the men and women here that make the cases it truly does make a difference.

Regarding your situation, based on the amount of replies you've received, it looks like you have a lot of viable options. The Canadian requirements seem awfully tight so I'm not sure that you'd be able to get any bag to fit those requirements while carrying an EX3. Since you can't remove the viewfinder I think you have to go with a slightly larger case.

We have received feedback from many CTC-1 users that they are able to fit this case, with the viewfinder pocket extended into the overhead compartment. This will depend of course on the model of aircraft you are flying on. Most standard flights you'll be fine, smaller city-hoppers you will likely have an issue. I know a photog who told me he ended up checking the bag with all his batteries and accessories and just carried his camera with him on the plain (rather than check his baby!).

Here are the best travel solutions for your camera from Portabrace, I recommend sticking with the CTC-1:

Traveler (CTC-1) - Ext dimensions - 60cm x 28cm (viewfinder pocket extended) x 32cm
PortaBrace - Product Detail:CTC-1B

Carry-On (CO-PC) - Ext dimensions - 58cm x 18cm x 29cm
PortaBrace - Product Detail:CO-PC

Best of luck with your decision and safe travels!

Chris
Chris Miceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Inner Circle

First off I have to say I do not work for Portabrace.

I purchased a Portabrace Carryon bag for my PMW-350 and have flow with it four times with out a problem but all of these flights were with in the US.

Over the years I have purchased from most of the bag companies and I have to say Portabrace beats them all when it comes to quality and well thought out designs. Don't skimp on your bag buy the best to protect your gear.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #15
Major Player

OK thanks all....I am sure I will go with the PortaBrace CO-PC carry bag....

thanks again to all of you for the feedback.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds