Airline Carry On bag for the Sony EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Inner Circle

William I purchased the same bag in a longer version, and I know you will not be disappointed.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #17
Regular Crew

hi ..

I carry my fx1e and nikon D80 on flights in a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW backpack.
It has no issue fitting in carry on luggage compartments in small or larger jets ...

I was recently told by the US customs guard that even though it did not fit in the sizing frame, as it was camera equipment and i had no other personal items (eg clothes) in it they will allow it ... that was their policy ...
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #18
Major Player

I still see a lot of camera guys carry their cams on the plane in their hands during my pretty frequent travel. Everything else goes in the checked baggage. But these are usually big shoulder cameras. If you're travelling on a smaller plane you will pretty much be checking any bag as you've only got the under seat bit for carry on. But they'll generally allow you to check the bag as you climb the ladder which means you will see it go in the hold and it's brought out to the bottom of the steps for you to pick up. Any of the bigger jets will have overhead bins so you'll need something that goes into one and that's going to limit you to a camera and some bits.

I'm a bag nut and generally work my bags pretty hard. Over the years I've had lots. I can honestly say the quality in Lowepro, Think Tank and Portabrace is awesome. I've beaten a couple of lowepro bags into submission for years and am really impressed with the fact the fabric is so tough and the zippers never let go. Portabrace is the same and my recent purchase of a thinktank has allowed me to see and test it's quality and I'm very impressed.

Prioritise zip quality as there's nothing more annoying than having a zip break. It practically writes off the bag.

But you will pay a premium for any of the three brands. I've not had experience with Kata. Portabrace is horrendously expensive in Oz and thinktanks are new here. But the bags will last for along time.

My expensive lowepro backpack for my SLR (film and then Digital) has been everywhere from the snow to the desert, been mis-treated and beaten for over 10 years and is still performing faultlessly.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #19
Regular Crew

In reply to Chris Miceli. I really wish Portabrace would update their web bag descriptions. See Kata and Petrol where one can get a real feel for what the bag can do. You make a great product but I could never buy it online with the small undescriptive dark pictures which accompany the product. A pity.
David Herman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds