DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Weddings and infrared problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/479655-weddings-infrared-problems.html)

David Arendt May 30th, 2010 10:03 PM

Weddings and infrared problems

Hi,

To all wedding videographers...

Do you generally put an infrared filter on your EX1 to shoot weddings or not ? If not, did you already have any infrared problems ? Did you manage to correct them in post ? I am asking as generally churches and wedding receptions are not very well lit, I wouldn't like to loose light due to an additional filter and introduce more noise.

Bye,
David Arendt

Vincent Oliver May 30th, 2010 11:21 PM

If the groom and ushers are all wearing black, then you must use a IR filter, it would be very difficult to blame the church lighting for he deep brown cast which can be seen on some of the ushers clothing whilst other suits look black. Generally pure cotton clothing will render blacks correctly whilst man made materials often turn to a deep brown. I use a Tiffen filter which does cure the problem, but as you point out, at the expense of 1/2 stop exposure.

You can't have the wedding cake and eat it too :-)

Lance Librandi May 31st, 2010 01:48 AM

I agree with Vincent I leave mine on all the time providing I am not using it with any other filters. If you use it other filters be very careful to check for secondary reflections, the IR filter has a tendency to be very reflective with images of high contrast eg windows, door that have a lot of light coming in.

David Arendt May 31st, 2010 01:25 PM

Does the lenshood still fit if the Tiffen T1 is screwed on ?

Brian Mills May 31st, 2010 05:09 PM

The hood still works with the Tiffen filter attached. You pretty much have to have it. In a wedding, the whole groom's side is usually in black and you will kick yourself later over the IR contamination if you don't use a filter...

Marc Myers June 3rd, 2010 08:58 AM

It's either that or talk everybody into a 70's theme with powder blue tux.

Robert McGowan June 4th, 2010 12:50 AM

The Tiffen IR filter works great. Once you shot an event and see the contamination (something that can't be fixed) you'll never take the filter off.

Marcus Durham June 4th, 2010 03:37 AM

Mine only goes on when it is absolutely necessary. It certain situations the filter creates more problems than it solves. It also cuts into the lovely reds the EX1 produces.

I see no need to leave it on when shooting outdoors or in all sorts of situations where man made fibres won't be in shot. Yes the wedding crowd will need to leave it on but I treat it like any other filter and just use it when required.

Duncan Craig June 4th, 2010 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to start a new thread about my weird IR EX1 experiences, but I'll hijack this'un. Hee.

Here's a tent I've just been filming, late morning, outdoors and overcast. (good old blighty)

Firstly, the tent's supposed to be pure grey... Also you'll notice a white blob on the side of the tent which wasn't visible to the naked eye! It was original some bird crap which we got wiped off, but on the EX1 is shows up a beaut.

Here's a short video link (720p), you can see the offending excrement appearing and disappearing as the tent moves, weird innit? It's almost as if the fabric has become see-through, or is acting as an interferometer or reflector of sorts, Strange huh? http://www.duncancraig.co.uk/Kit/EX1-IR/DHG_1335_01.mov

Anyway I've got a T1 now, which I will only use when I need it. It fit under the lens hood just fine too.

Joe Oliverio June 6th, 2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Arendt (Post 1533240)
Hi,

To all wedding videographers...

Do you generally put an infrared filter on your EX1 to shoot weddings or not ? If not, did you already have any infrared problems ? Did you manage to correct them in post ? I am asking as generally churches and wedding receptions are not very well lit, I wouldn't like to loose light due to an additional filter and introduce more noise.

Bye,
David Arendt

Here's a link to a You Tube video we put together showing the effects of the IR contamination issue with the EX1 and EX1R and the use of the Tiffen T1 filter.

YouTube - EX1 and EX1R and Tiffen T1 filter test.wmv

It is true that different materials react differently but once it happens I don't know of a way to fix it in post. The EX1R seems to have the problem corrected.

Joe Oliverio

Colin Rowe June 7th, 2010 06:33 AM

Unfortunatly, I think not. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-pmw-ex1r.html. My own findings were similar to Matt Daviss. I tested both an EX1 and EX1r before purchasing, and found the problem still fairly evident on the EX1r. Strange that some are not finding this, as your video clearly shows. I think the bottom line is, its still going to crop up on certain materials, under certain conditions. Still one to watch out for.