PMW-200 Flange Adjustment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW-200 Flange Adjustment

After the 'FW Update drama' ended successfully (Thanks Doug!), my next task was to calibrate the 'flange focal length'. Using the Sony supplied "Star Chart (PDF)", I mounted the 'chart' on a piece of foam core board, taped it to a wall, set-up a light source and then my camera. After 'zooming-in' and filling the screen with the 'Star Chart' and locking down the camera, I performed the following steps in-accordance with Sony's instructions provided with the Firm Ware upgrade:

1) Power on the Camera
2) "Iris Switch" to "Auto"
3) Mount 'Star Chart' ~ 3m (10-ft) from camera
4) "Zoom Switch" to "Servo"
5) Go To "Menu" > "Camera Set" > "Auto FB Adjust"
6) Then, > "Execute"

That's it! If, you've set everything correctly, the camera will cycle through an automatic calibration routine. Finally, a confirmation message (or, Error Message!) will verify the 'calibration' went 'OK' (Or, not!).

I now have successfully upgraded my PMW-200s Firm Ware and performed the 'Flange-Back Focal Length' calibration and my camera is not a 'brick'. : )

It's my first time through the FW upgrade 'process' with this camera and after reading horror stories about folks turning their cameras into 'paperweights', I was a little nervous. Thankfully, with a "...little help from my friends.", I succeeded!

I hope this will help if someone is struggling with their 'PMW-200' FW upgrade.

Thanks for playing along,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds